Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Primal is Evolving

5 posters

Go down

How Primal is Evolving Empty How Primal is Evolving

Post by ONTARIO Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:31 am

I got this post in my email:

Hey there, Happy Weekend.

Mark's Daily Apple has been around for a long time. Since I'm constantly researching, my stance on different foods is always evolving.

Once upon a time, I said that all legumes were off-limits. Now, I'm less dogmatic about them. I'll have a few bites of bean dip if it looks good to me in the moment, and I wrote this week that I'm a fan of peanut butter.

Back in the day, I swore off sugar. Now I have a teaspoon every day in my coffee. I'm no worse for wear.

Dairy is another one. When I started out with the ancestral way of eating, I shunned dairy. My stance on dairy has softened a little. Here's how I would rank them

1. Occasional raw, fermented, full-fat dairy milk, yogurt, and cheeses.

Fermentation takes care of most of the lactose, and some posit that it may even positively alter the structure, function, and safety of casein.

2. Raw, high-fat dairy products.

Raw butter and cream are minimally processed sources of quality saturated fat. They’re free of most lactose and casein, and let’s face it: butter and cream just make everything taste better.

3. Organic, hormone and antibiotic-free dairy (full fat, of course).

This is where you might start crossing into digestive upset and signs of intolerance, even if you can tolerate the others.

4. Conventional dairy products.

Stay away from these. Too much chemical alteration: hormones, antibiotics, etc.

It's highly individual. Some people can handle beans, small amounts of sugar, or a few bites of properly fermented sourdough bread, even. Some people learn the hard way that they have to stay away from certain foods.

My (non-medical) opinion is, if you're not sure, eliminate all dairy for a few weeks, then bring back (highly ranked) dairy foods one at a time, in small amounts, given you're not allergic. See how your body responds.

If you can't tolerate dairy, don't worry. You can get your calcium from canned sardines, collard greens, and kale.

And, I made sure to exclude dairy from the line of Primal Kitchen® dressings, sauces, and condiments so that everyone can enjoy them.

Two of my favorites:

Buffalo sauce. Most bottled buffalo sauces contain butter or dairy-based thickeners. We use cashew cream to make our buffalo sauce creamy and thick enough to hold up to your chicken wings, cauliflower bites, and hot chicken sandwiches.

25% off Primal Kitchen

Ranch dressing. So many people write in telling me that our Ranch gave them a part of their life back. (Now thicker! You'll never know there's no dairy.)

chicken ranch lettuce cups
I prefer to have them both on hand. No matter how your body handles dairy, we've got you covered.

This weekend only, you can SAVE 25% on all of your Primal Kitchen favorites! Use the code STRIKEGOLD at checkout.

Have a great weekend.

The notion of Primal diet has really evolved. First it was no beans, tubers and very, very limited dairy with specifics. Now beans are okay. Tubers? Sure! Dairy? Go ahead! I'm not criticizing this change. I just find it interesting to watch any paradigm evolve. I've always been more of a, "....just eat real, whole foods" kind of gal. Is that where we're headed? It seems more like we're just going back to the uncomplicated basics of food a mere 150ish years ago. Wheat seems to be the only real no-no these days.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

How Primal is Evolving Empty Re: How Primal is Evolving

Post by Pedidoc Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:12 am

Unless it is in “properly fermented sourdough.” Smile Smile
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:12 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Unless it is in “properly fermented sourdough.” Smile Smile

Yep!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:26 pm

“Eat real food, don’t be OCD about it, buy my ranch dressing”
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Smile Buy anything with a "Primal Kitchen" label. For a complete list: https://www.primalkitchen.com/
Ontario, I saw that email somewhere on MDA, I think. Yeah, Mark is mellowing in his older days. I wonder how long his keto bandwagon will roll on, while he's relaxing all his guidelines.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:10 am

I received that same note. I do believe he still limits his carbs, even if they may include legumes now and then.

Of course science (kind of hate that word right now) is always discovering things about food. Heck coffee has gone from good to bad to good to bad, not even sure where it resides right now. I'm sure we will see other changes. I too lean toward real whole food too.

Even W30 has changed their guidelines as well.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Real food and avoiding things that do not agree with me. Right now I am being very strict, but when I am on vacation, I might have sourdough bread or a dessert.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down