Narrowminded continues

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

Narrowminded continues

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 am

Hi All,

Guess I'll jump in with getting a journal started here. Won't abandon my one over on MDA, but want to have something in place. For those of you who are from MDA, I have a really good start page there if you have read it or need to. I'll try and summerize here.

Started down the path of Primal in 2012. I fiddled back and forth until last Nov. I started my 3rd Whole 30 at that time and finally relaxed into the process. I ended up extending it out to a W90 and then didn't really test many things. All was working smoothly until this fall. I also managed to drop about 40 lbs.

My DD had some issues, mostly connected with heading off to grad school and leaving me here to care for Dad/DH by myself. That tossed me into a tizzy as well. The last month has been incredibly rough as DD had a vaso vagal response. Basically means she passed out, and quick. Hit her head as she was in the bathroom. Ended up with whipflash and a concussion. Thankfully she is in PT school and surrounded by them. They have taken very good care of her and she is almost completely healed. The hard part was being 2 hours away and not being able to go and help her due to DH and his ALS. See my intro thread.

So, I have found myself needing to get back grounded for both health and stress relief. I guess growing up and being handed sweets when there was a scraped knee or emotional upset or even emotional happiness had been well entrenched. This is something I knew was an issue and never did with my kids to hopefully avoid them using food as a crutch as well. I've tried over the past year to move that to exercise. Walking is my preferred form, and doing it outside is best. With my husband on a vent, that generally isn't possible as someone has to be here to watch him for me to leave. I'm working on changing that, but it's hard.

The why behind my getting healthy and moving to primal comes from family history. My DM has Type 2. Getting her to eat healthier is a huge struggle. She is German and she loves her bread. Ok, well lets work with that. She stayed with me for a month this summer when my DD had his thyroid removed. I allowed her to have her bread, except it was GF bread. At least lets get the gluten out. And I made her balance her bread with protein and fat. While here she had to reduce her insulin and her A1C dropped a point when she went back the the Endo. I hoped I made a difference. Seeing her eating now, nope back to her old ways, even though she knows what we did here worked. I didn't take anything away from her, just balanced it. To understand her, this is the same woman who calls to tell me they had a coupon for Brusters Ice Cream, and she and Dad each got a triple dip, as it was a BOGO. Now I didn't see the coupon, so I don't know if they had to get a triple or if the person waiting on them suggested it since one as free, but she says she had a hard time finishing it. I asked why she didn't just throw some of it away - "I wasn't going to waste good ice cream". Yeah her sugar was through the roof after. Doesn't matter that I've tried to explain what that's doing to her internal organs even is she can't feel it.

So this fall also meant getting her and Dad moved into an apartment and out of their vertical townhouse. They just cannot manage that at 81 and 83. But, I'm handling most of that on my own because my DB doesn't think, and my DM won't ask him because he's "so busy". I get a nurse 1x a week so I can run errands etc, and I'm spending that time helping them. Not that I don't want to, but what don't you get about how busy I am? They are finally mostly moved.

So my life demands that I get my health in a good place and keep it there. I have to be healthy to care for DH and my aging parents and I want to be that Healthy and fun Grandma doing fun and active things with her grand kids if I ever get that opportunity. None yet and none it the works at the moment. Smile

My journal, if you choose to follow will end up being a mix of what I am doing diet and health wise and also struggles I face from day today with my life, such as it is.

Thanks for reading. And Grok on!

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Narrowminded continues

Post by Glass Full of Air on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:16 am

Hi! I remember reading your journal when I was on MDA before and really enjoyed it, so am selfishly glad you're doing one here as well. Smile

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm

Thank you Glass, did you have a different user name there?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Happy you are now over here NM. Look forward to continue following your story.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Thank you Rig. I do hope to continue it.

So far today, having some pretty sweet motivation from this new and awesome forum, I'm back on my game.

Hoping to re-wrap my brain after a pretty crazy past few months, as mentioned above. Things have to go up from here.

Grok on my friends
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:08 pm

It’s been a good day around here. Got some needed errands taken care of and then a good TRX WO with my DS.

Cooking some pork chops as I type, just need to add some nice veggies on the side.

Hope to do some yoga later to stretch out a bit.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:12 am

Hi NM, I am glad you had a good day.

Re grandchildren, I am not there yet either, but my dear friend just learnt yesterday that all going well she will have two by next year! Also, her other son has found a very good job and is saying that now his wife can stop work. Maybe there will even be three....
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks Annie

Well, my day didn't end as well as it started. I did jump slightly off the rails. Mostly I let myself get agrivated about things I probably should not.

Don't know if any of you live in a community that has an HOA (Home Owners Assoc) with it's own set of "rules", but in my estimation over the last 5 years + they are just a bunch of busy bodies with nothing better to do with their lives than make other miserable.

Last week we received our quarterly newsletter. Which basically amounts to a rehash of the rules. Basically, a pretty negative doc, with a list of Don'ts. That generally makes me grumble. We are all adults here, do we need to rehash everything, every 3 months, really? And best of all a day later a second copy came through the email. Once wasn't enough? Then last evening, I found a door tag hanging on my door about Outside Alterations. That was just covered in the newsletter and has been ad nauseam even between those times. This little placard was in all caps, things bolded and pretty brash and unnecessary. If they thought it was a "friendly" reminder, I'd hate to see an unfriendly one. And we just were told this in the newsletter. The timing is crazy too. Where I live its getting into winter, it's cold out and no one is doing anything to their homes or landscapes at this time of year. So why placards on every house?

This type of stuff makes my blood boil. When I moved here you could not enclose your deck or patio. Now you can, but you can only put in screens, you cannot make it into a 3 season room. Why? If it's already enclosed, what difference is it if you have screens or glass? One section of the rules says no roofs, but if you enclose you have to have a roof to certain specs. If you have a deck, you can have an awning, it has to be a certain color, go up on a certain day, come down on a certain day blah, blah, blah. You cannot have one that retracts. If you have a deck, you cannot hang a roll down blind on the side of the awning, but if you have a patio, under a deck you can. Why? Stupid stuff like that. If I had known when we bought here, we would not have. Most of this doesn't affect me, but just knowing it's there drives me nuts.

I guess this stuff bothers me because I have far more serious things to worry about than whether my neighbor's awning is the "right" color, or if they asked the assoc if it was ok to plant a few bushes. When you have someone completely dependent on you to even breathe, these kinds of things seem so ridiculously petty. Sure I want my neighborhood to look nice, however the cost of where I live isn't inexpensive. In my experience, people who pay more to live somewhere generally tend to take better care of their homes and do so with an eye to pleasantness.

So long story short, I'm ranting today. It will wear off in a few days, but when I'm upset, I tend to let it get the better of me where food is concerned. Thankfully, I don't have bad stuff here and I don't have the ability to go and get it either.

Wouldn't it be nice if a quarterly newsletter talked about the awesome community service projects we've done? There are a lot of retirees in this neighborhood. Starting a service with some volunteers to make a grocery or pharmacy run for someone with a sick loved one, would be much more pleasant to read about than Don't do this and Don't do that. Or packing boxes to send to our service men and women serving over seas might me a nice thought. I'm sure I could come up with a ton of ideas that would be much more positive than picking on what my neighbor may or may not have done.

Sorry folks, that's what I've got for this morning. I'm open to others thoughts if you've got something like this where you live.

Grok on Friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:47 pm

You certainly have plenty to contend with without the newsletter! Good luck with the family! X
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Glass Full of Air on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:33 pm

Yeegh! I live in a place with a HOA too, but ours (other than one woman who is always complaining and one man who keeps trying and failing to add rules which benefit him) is pretty quiet. We can't fence in the lake. That's about it, and I can get behind that as people buy houses here for a nice lake view. Yours sounds like one I was in before which was beyond vexing.

And yes, when you have real life issues which are demanding time and energy this stuff seems even more silly. I'm sorry they're being nags right now.

(btw yes, I was under a different name on the forum. I was "the great 38" but it's been a long time since I posted.)

Glass Full of Air

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:30 am

Getting my vent out did me a world of good. Feeling better today. However if I get a reply - sent an email asking why the door tag, before I found out the whole community got them, I will definitely let them know they were not "friendly" reminders and a bit over the top.

Glass, yes some of the rules are useful, but most are a tad ridiculous.

Managed to get in some decent primal exercise yesterday, so that helped as well.

Looking forward to a better day today.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:17 pm

You have a tremendous amount of responsibility. I can empathize with the care for aging parents and watching out for them when they just don't see the point or understand the consequences. Unfortunate that the stress level never quite goes away.  Sound like you are managing it in a good way with nutrition and movement.   More power to you and continued strength throughout the care-giving you generously give.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks HFF, it's good to see you make the move here too. I kind of kept getting less and less on MDA due to all the spam etc. It feels good to come to a clean forum once again.

Got in some walking today, even though most was laps around the house. Plan on some yoga in a bit.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Narrowminded wrote:

So far today, having some pretty sweet motivation from this new and awesome forum, I'm back on my game.

^^^^^ THIS! Yes, I, too, need to stay in the throws of things to remind myself why I eat this way. And MDA was my way of doing that. So when it became impossible to use the forum I no longer had that constant reminder.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Have to mini update my rant - no more ranting, but my neighbor was over. She felt exactly as I did about the door hanger. She too felt it was insulting, like living in a jail or something. So, that means it wasn't just me who got that feeling.

Ontario - yes, I lost all motivation from MDA with all the junk to weed through.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:57 am

It's certainly easier now we can see our posts without having to trawl through an ocean of spam! What a shame for MDA but this feels like an oasis of calm!
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Stories like yours make me glad I live in the middle of no where! Although maybe a limit on the number of dogs one can have would be nice... (neighbors have sled dogs - about 24 of them).

Keep on keeping on! You are the best at that from where I sit.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 am

NM, it looks like the Spammers haven't found us. I volunteered to help out with this operation primarily to keep out spam. So far, nothing to do!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Good Morning fellow Grokers.

This morning i realized what my funk is that hit yesterday.  I got notice that I had a new message on my MDA journal, as I posted a fairwell yesterday - yes I could still post.  Anyway, as soon as I opened it the tears started flowing.  So much over the past year on there that was near and dear to my heart.  I spent a few hours copying posts that I found the most relevant.  I created a Word doc to house them.  Took 31 pages and was only select posts from about 10 pages of my journal.  Definitely too massive to move the whole thing.

While that place fell down and they weren't interested in fixing it, they have no idea what they lost.  For me, stuck in my home caring for DH, it was a place to meet up with friends.  I know this forum will be that as well, as many of my friends are here now, but it's still very, very sad for me.

i've been struggling lately.  I definitely don't want to go back on meds, but I'm trying to figure out how to work through this.  I'm burnt to a crisp with no end in sight.  My diet has been suffering as well.  More reason to get those pages of what i was doing.

I've discovered that things had moved further from center than I thought.  Most of the changes started occuring with my DD's breakdown at the end of May.  I've got to get back there and I've got to get myself on solid ground.

I've gained about 7 lbs, I'd venture to guess half of that is water weight, but my new clothes are letting me know they don't like where this is going.  Nor do I.

Add in rain today and it's just a very bad mix.

Ok, time to go check out what else is going on in the forum.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Hang in there NM. You have had more stress in your life than anyone should ever have to battle, especially with your husband's long battle. Is there any way possible that you can arrange for a full vacation, or even a periodically recurring mini-vacation, maybe a long weekend thing, where you can bring in family/friends/professionals who can let you totally disengage and go pamper yourself? A short respite may be just the ticket to recharge, refresh and be ready to go again.

I would think that it isn't so much any one event/thing that is causing the problem, but the unremitting grind, complicated with a series of new burdens that you are dealing with that is the problem. You've held up remarkably well so far.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks Rig, and you are probably totally correct. A whole bunch of stuff on my plate.

I got off for a week in May to my GF's in FL. And an overnight beginning of Nov. I know I need another week, but coordinating that, plus cost of nursing/fam kind dictates a once a year happening.

A weekend would be nice. That won't happen this time of year though, have to wait until holiday and Jan tax crap is finished for work. Then maybe I could get a weekend. We will see.

DD being away at PT school throws another wrench in the mix as well.

It's great to know I have friends here who care. You all stick much closer than my so called friends here. Thank you.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm

NM you are doing an incredibly good job under the toughest of circumstances. Strength and peace to you xxx
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Thank you Annie.

Its actually been a decent day so far today. Managed to get outside for a bit of a walk. My MIL came over and I had to get a paper notarized. The place I go is less than a 1/2 mile walk, so while cold, off I went. The notary wasn't there, walked home and an hour later he was finally there, so off again. MIL wanted me to take her car, so I did, kinda. I pulled into the parking lot and and parked as soon as I entered then walked to the other end to get this done.

Last evening ended with a not so good endulgence to this morning, I decided to forgo breakfast and just have coffee with CO. Due to the above, lunch happened after 1 PM. Feeling awesome because of it. May give that a go for a couple of days and see.

I have a pot roast in the crock pot for dinner and will be roasting some veg to go with. A friend is here for a few days, so probably some potato in the mix.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi NM,
I totally agree with RigD. I've been caregiver to my mom for 10 years and I am due for a vacation. It's the non-stop without respite that wear us down. I totally know of what you speak. Even if family is not able or willing, one has to make time for oneself. A mental recharge is vital and I hope you're able to get more than one this coming year. Hang in there.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:26 pm

HFF - not disagreeing with the need for a recharge. However, my caregiving gets complicated by the fact that DH is on a vent. Have to have someone capable of handling that machine and what goes with it. He has no movement at all, so it's a lot of hard work. Nor can he talk. So, someone has to be here 24/7 and with in earshot at all times. Once I can get that all lined up, I can go. The need for my kiddos to help is there as nursing 24/7 would be exhorbitant in cost. I won't put him in a home for a week, as there aren't any competent around here for those with ALS. The closest is over 6 hours away.

Managed to get out and get a bit of Christmas shopping done. 2 gifts, but hey it's something. Smile

Checking in quick here then have to head back out while I have the help.

Food is going well. Coffee w/CO oil this morning, omelette for lunch.

Grok on my friends!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum