Snoring. Can primal fix it?

Go down

Snoring. Can primal fix it?

Post by Annieh on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I am interested in your personal stories, as well as any reasoning behind how snoring could be alleviated (or, alternatively, what makes it worse).
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Snoring. Can primal fix it?

Post by Nightly Orange on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Snoring can have a lot of different causes, so solutions vary depending on the individual. For some people, losing weight (via primal or any other dietary change) will be sufficient. For others, small tricks like sleeping on one's side or taping one's mouth shut at night may also work. Extremely recalcitrant cases might require a CPAP.

Personally, I tend to snore when I sleep on my back, and in the past would occasionally wake up feeling completely groggy and unrested. I tried a few things, like making myself sleep on my sides through sheer force of will (which doesn't work consistently, as it's hard to exercise your willpower while unconscious) and attaching a tennis ball to the back of my shirt at night (the idea being that it makes it uncomfortable to roll over onto your back).

Eventually I settled for buying a mandibular advancement device (aka MAD). The test for whether this might work for you is simple: tilt your head back, relax your soft palate, and deliberately make a snoring sound. Then jut your lower jaw out slightly so that you give yourself an underbite, and try to make the snoring sound again. If you can't, a MAD could be a good fit for you, by correcting the physical lack of space in the soft tissues of your throat.

I eventually settled on the ZQuiet. It's minimalist and one-size-fits-all, so you don't have to go through the "boil and bite" process of personally adjusting the MAD to your exact specifications. However, if the ZQuiet doesn't fit you, there are more customizable options like the SnoreRx, which I've also used and found effective, though the setup and regular cleaning is more time-consuming.
Nightly Orange

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 pm

I snore like a chainsaw at the moment and wake up feeling pretty unrefreshed. I'm sure that if I jumped through all of the hoops I could get a sleep study/CPAP, but I don't want to rely on a machine to get a good night's sleep unless it's absolutely necessary. I've snored to some degree my entire life, but the unrested feeling is relatively new. I'm also heavier now than I have been in, well, forever. When I was thinner my snoring and sleep weren't nearly so bad. I plan to adhere to paleo/primal more closely to lose weight. We'll see how it goes. Cutting inflammatory foods and such should also help by decreasing congestion and systemic inflammation.

I've had some success sleeping upright, with pillows propping me up. I also picked up a nice foam wedge so that I can sleep at a slight incline. It isn't a perfect fix, but has done some good. Sleeping on my side helps a little, but I'm a natural back sleeper so it's kind of tough for me to fall asleep on my side. I've tried BreatheRight strips and plastic nasal dilators with mixed results--ultimately they weren't worth the discomfort. I tried a mouthpiece, too, but it gave me TMJ.

I hear mastering the didgeridoo can fix snoring but that sounds hella obnoxious lol
RedComet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:12 pm

LOL, we do actually have a didgeridoo!!!!! I have never yet learned to play it.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 am

My snoring improved a lot after going Primal and dropping a bunch of weight. I also had an improvement by raising the head of my bed, I put "bed raisers" under the under the supports at the top. This is similar to RedComet's technique. Somewhere I've read that raising the head by 4-6 inches does a good bit of good in helping you sleep better, and claims of other health benefits. Don't know where the link is, I'll post if I find it.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum