Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Was Your Workout Today?

+7
Meant2Move
OnTheBayou
Annieh
ekba
Narrowminded
ONTARIO
Neck2
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What Was Your Workout Today? Empty What Was Your Workout Today?

Post by Neck2 Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm

So this was probably one of the longest threads over at MDA.   Many accomplishments and PRs where recorded as well as a simple....I walked today!

Kicking it off....

I did a circuit of lifts to muscular failure with no rest between:

Goblet squats
DB bench press
Rows
Over head BB press
Pull ups
Back Squats
Triceps press
Curls

Took 13 minutes to complete then spent 20 in the sauna.

Neck2

Back to top Go down

What Was Your Workout Today? Empty Re: What Was Your Workout Today?

Post by Meant2Move Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:06 pm

I rarely do high intensity cardio, but today I was looking for a HR test to do a comparison for past performance. Unfortunately, the HR part was a total bomb as my watch didn't read accurately - next time I'll use a chest strap.

Anyway, 40 minutes of fast feet (high cadence) training. (Is there an emoticon for blowing raspberries?)
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:44 pm

I walked. Well, I'm still walking. I aim for a daily 12,000 steps. While at work I get up and walk into one room, do a lap around the adjusting bench, leave the room, walk down the hall to the next room, do a lap around the adjusting bench and repeat. Remarkably I get in a lot of steps in a day this way. The rest of my steps I have been getting doing laps around the kitchen island. Last night I did about 3000 in the library walking around the perimeter of the shelving. And, until the snow melts this will be my normal to get in my steps.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Walking laps around my living room and nice around the block with the dog. I have t be careful with that one though..
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Neck2 Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:29 am

Today I will be doing deadlifts and kettlebell swings followed by a sauna.

I work up from 135 to either 305 or 315 for sets of 5. Then about 100 swings with a 55 bell as 5 sets of 20.

Love the sauna. Put it in last spring and use it at least 3x/week and sometimes daily.

Neck2

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:50 am

Traveling today - airport laps.
Each lap of Concourse B in Columbus is 842 steps.
I've got 45 minutes to kill before boarding.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:17 pm

Climbed the Snowcone, a volcanic cinder cone near the house. Once we get to the base, it's a 30% grade for a quarter mile. Today with fresh snow, we wore our heavy mountaineering boots to get ourselves used to them in hopes of a true mountain adventure next month.

2 miles round trip, 500 feet of elevation gain.

Planning a midday walk later.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 pm

ekba wrote:Traveling today - airport laps.
Each lap of Concourse B in Columbus is 842 steps.
I've got 45 minutes to kill before boarding.

The bolded part.....it made me laugh! The fact that you now know how many steps it is. Razz

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Did a fairly intense conditioning workout this morning - lots of squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, plank jacks, and other plyometric exercises as well as lots of up and down, 55 minutes total.

It's a gorgeous day although a little bit breezy so I plan to walk to Whole Foods midday to see what looks good for weekend cooking. That walk nets me about 3 miles round trip, it's at the upper limit of what I can do on my lunch hour.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

Mine was walking the house, along with the grocery store. Not very thrilling, but due to several people not being able to make it to help this week, I needed food in the house
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Tuesday is my favorite day of the week! I walk to the local climbing gym, meet my husband there and we play for about 90 minutes before I walk back to the office. Usually get in 8-10 climbs - mix of lead and toprope and about 3 miles walking.

Today we needed to get more comfortable using a Grigri belay device as next week when we are in Northern Utah (mostly to telemark), we'll likely go to the local gym to climb on an off day and that gym requires use of a Grigri. It all went pretty well today except when husband requested I take a leader fall so he could see how it felt to hold one. I hate falling on lead! (Of course the little voice in my head says if you aren't falling, you aren't pushing your limits to be the best climber you can be.) Nothing went wrong with the falls, I just dislike doing so.

4 leads, 4 topropes, no serious problems with the Grigri.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:16 pm

Sounds like a good WO M2M

For me DS was here and put me thru a good TRX WO, plus I had my laps around the house.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:24 pm

I love the notion of your son as trainer, NM!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:00 pm

Yes, he really is giving you the best gift he can.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 pm

M2M, my DS, DDIL and my DD all have their undergrad in Ex Sci. DS is teaching and directing others to become personal trainers, DDIL is working her way toward Nurse Pract. And DD is in PT school. I’m surrounds. Smile. I always joke with them that my sessions are the most expensive ever, considering our contribution to their college education. He and I work marvelously together. We were going strong 2x a week until the holidays hit, have to get that back.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Neck2 Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 am

I’ve taken to doing this workout 1x a week. I’m going to keep the weights the same for 1 month and aim for increasing reps in conjunction with overall lowering time to do the workout (less rest between exercises)
First round I did in 13 minutes flat.
Yesterday I did in 12:36
Goblet squats
Pull ups +2
Db bench +1
Rows
Bb ohp (did add weight here since reps got to 15 last time)
Back squats +1
Trip press down
Curls +2

These are done in a controlled fashion to failure like one might find in the book “Congruent Exercise”. I use to do super slow with them (10/10 cadence), but I find that cumbersome when working alone with free weights. I’d sa it’s more of a 2/4 cadence the way I lift.

Neck2

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:23 pm

Telemark skiing at a downhill resort - 10 runs, over 20 miles based on tracking app (it doesn't count lift rides), so basically 20 miles of lunges Very Happy
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 am

Neck2 wrote:So this was probably one of the longest threads over at MDA.   Many accomplishments and PRs where recorded as well as a simple....I walked today!

Kicking it off....

I did a circuit of lifts to muscular failure with no rest between:

Goblet squats
DB bench press
Rows
Over head BB press
Pull ups
Back Squats
Triceps press
Curls

Took 13 minutes to complete then spent 20 in the sauna.

Sauna/hot tubs, great motivators.

Your routine, done in 13 minutes, sounds like the premise of "Body by Science" by McGuff. Are you familiar with it? Premise is to load so that your muscles are hitting exhaustion in 90 seconds or so. Do a round once per week, that's how long it takes for muscle tissue to fully recover. It works!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Neck2 Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:

Your routine, done in 13 minutes, sounds like the premise of "Body by Science" by McGuff.  Are you familiar with it?  Premise is to load so that your muscles are hitting exhaustion in 90 seconds or so.  Do a round once per week, that's how long it takes for muscle tissue to fully recover.  It works!

Yup...I’ve read BBS. Also some books by Mike Mentzer and more recently Drew Bayes. All proponents of HIT training. I don’t move quite as slow as BBS recommends, but I do keep relatively slow and very controlled until muscle failure. It does work! Certainly saves me some time when things get busy too.

Neck2

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Neck2 wrote:
OnTheBayou wrote:

Your routine, done in 13 minutes, sounds like the premise of "Body by Science" by McGuff.  Are you familiar with it?  Premise is to load so that your muscles are hitting exhaustion in 90 seconds or so.  Do a round once per week, that's how long it takes for muscle tissue to fully recover.  It works!

Yup...I’ve read BBS.  Also some books by Mike Mentzer and more recently Drew Bayes.  All proponents of HIT training.  I don’t move quite as slow as BBS recommends, but I do keep relatively slow and very controlled until muscle failure.   It does work!   Certainly saves me some time when things get busy too.

I remember Mike and Drew when I was more into this. I think the old X reps and whatever weights might be still valid for bodybuilders, but for average folk just trying to stay in shape, any variety of HIT is going to be better.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Another day of telemark skiing for me. Fewer runs, more turns. 9 runs, 15.8 miles

I feel as if my quad has a tear in it (not true, just sore) so I'm not sure if I'll get around to finishing off what is needed to hit 10k steps.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:29 pm

3.3 mile walk with serious elevation gain - wearing a knee brace as I trashed my knee in a fall telemark skiing on Friday... really hoping it's temporary!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:17 am

Morning powerwalk to scope out the course I'll take conference participants on over the next 2 days. Found some fun/minor obstacles to break things up and move differently. Returned and did the stairwell to the roof, so 18 floors. Going up was OK, down not so much, knee is not super happy about down just now.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am

I have now gone to the rec center two times. I pay annually, like maybe I should use my investment?

I use a modified McGuff/BBS/to exhaustion system. I do a standard aim for exhaustion at around 90 seconds. Then I reduce the weight, go to exhaustion again, but typically now, I'll only last 30 seconds. Again, again, until the weight is too low for me to get exhausted. Easy to do with machines.

I notice that when those muscle groups are called on later on, they hurt for many days. So, allow lots of recovery, a week minimum.

Visually, the results are obvious after only two sessions. I'm a hypertrophic sexy senior citizen! Ha ha.........

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next