Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sundays with Sisson

2 posters

Go down

Sundays with Sisson Empty Sundays with Sisson

Post by ONTARIO Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:03 am

This one came to my inbox yesterday. In case you don't get his weekly emails I have included this Sunday's words. I thought it interesting because the re-feed idea......

I've always been of the opinion that people eat too damn much. There are many reasons for our tendency to overeat, and it's not like people suddenly became gluttons for no reason, nor did they actively decide to just eat gigantic meals or forgo willpower, but the fact remains that a big portion of the obesity epidemic is linked to overeating.

But there is a place for giant meals. There is room for the occasional bout of overfeeding, especially in the context of a weight loss stall. A big meal can kickstart the metabolic rate and keep the weight loss going, not despite the massive influx of calories but because of it. When you eat a big meal, a few good things happen:

Leptin increases: The hormone leptin increases energy expenditure. It’s reduced by prolonged caloric restriction and low body fat levels, so if you’ve lost body fat in the past, stalled, and further reduced food intake to bust the plateau, you may be suppressing leptin and lowering how much energy you expend. A big meal, especially if it’s high in carbs and even if it’s a cheat meal, can restore leptin levels so that weight loss can resume.

Thyroid hormone increases: T3, the “active” thyroid hormone, also drops during prolonged calorie restriction. This is normal, and as long as your energy levels are good and weight loss is maintained, a nominally depressed T3 is nothing to fret over. But extended calorie restriction accompanied by fatigue, malaise, and weight plateaus or gain is a sign of too low a T3. That’s where a big meal can help by restoring your thyroid function to physiological levels and revving your metabolic rate back up.

Glycogen restock: If you've been low carb for an extended time, a big meal with carbs you don't normally eat can restock your glycogen levels and make training at intense levels more effective (and more enjoyable).

You wouldn't think so, but many people report increased weight loss after a big bout of overfeeding. You gorge and wake up leaner the next day.

Just keep in mind that a giant meal is a giant meal. It shouldn't turn into a few days of giant meals. Otherwise, you'll probably gain fat.

Have you ever tried using big meals to break through a weight loss stall? How did it work? Let me know in the comment section of New and Noteworthy.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Sundays with Sisson Empty Re: Sundays with Sisson

Post by The Walrus Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:15 pm

Really interesting idea!
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down