Sisson cashes in

Go down

Sisson cashes in

Post by Rig D on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm

MDA wrote:"The Kraft Heinz Company—the leading player in condiments, makers of the iconic Heinz Ketchup and Grey Poupon mustard—is acquiring the Primal Nutrition and Primal Kitchen®️ brands. We’re joining Kraft Heinz’s Springboard, a dynamic platform created to partner with founders and brands that will disrupt the food industry.

Not bad, not bad. Built it up enough to make it attractive.
https://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-kitchen-news/
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sisson cashes in

Post by perennialpam on Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:49 pm

I was surprised when I read that today. Money, money, money
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 pm

Wow! Well, that settles that. Neutral

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm

The following is a comment by a reader on the MDA Blog. It pretty much sums up exactly how I feel:

Was a primal health coach:

It is with great sadness that I will now be removing my certified primal health coach credentials from my website.

While I fully understand business is business, Kraft Heinz is not an organisation I wish to be associated with.

Reactions like mine will of course be expected but after years of advice about staying away from processed foods, it is my personal opinion that this move to partner with one of the leading processed food manufacturers in the world is nothing short of hypocrisy.

Mark I am truly grateful for all that you have done for my health and the people whom I now pass your wisdom onto. Please accept my heartfelt, but heart broken, wishes for your future success

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:56 am

I almost cried when I read about this. On one hand, Sisson can do what he wants, and who can blame him...turning down a huge payout like this...I probably couldn't do it. But Heinz? Really? I wish there was another way, maybe like business owners coming together to take on the biggies with their high fructose corn syrup and Roundup laced condiments. Oh well.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:21 am

He's getting flamed over on FB. It's not good.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm

My first thought was that you called it, Rig, some time ago when you made a comment about Mark getting to retirement age and that he'd be looking to sell out to a big conglomerate soon.

I like the mayo and dressings... I'll be curious to see if my little natural foods store continues to carry those products. They won't if the ingredients change.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Ontario, after your comment I made my way there. Many emails speaking about selling out, etc.

Glad people are speaking their minds.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:11 am

Granted, the many issues with the MDA forum, the way they handled things by closing it down, making promises they didn't keep about cleaning it from spam and removing several search options, making it difficult to find things... all those blog posts promoting Primal Kitchen and the Health Coach program etc., make it hard to look at this with a positive view as it shows a path that was obvious to several for years.

Everyone can decide for themselves whether they (continue to) purchase books/condiments etc however let's not forget all the great content we were given for free (for years!) and what this could mean if it actually works out the way it sounds through Mark Sisson's words, by giving more people access to these healthier products (provided they won't get changed, as promised, and yes, that is the optimist speaking, rather than the realist/pessimist), especially those that will never ever make their own. Guess we'll find out what will happen as time goes by... for better or for worse.

Sisson wrote:Neanderchow and K.D. Morgan, thanks for your comments. I’ve always sought to make the Primal Blueprint something anyone can implement on his/her own without any special equipment or products as a necessity. Many people welcome conveniences that fit their health intentions, and that’s been my aim with Primal Kitchen. I still publish recipes for mayo and dressing, however, that anyone can make at home—their choice. And the bees and I will continue to offer recipes and the same objectively researched content here. In fact, I’m already waist-deep in another book with Penguin—this time on longevity. Rest assured the Primal message is moving forward as clearly and boldly as ever.

Sisson wrote:Richard and Paul, thank you both for your thoughts. I respect the fact that we’re all free thinkers here, and these exchanges get at what key points of the our modern food system. The Springboard Program through Kraft Heinz is a unique development in the acquisition landscape. It literally was created to foster change in the food industry and is an entry point for Kraft Heinz’ visionary goals. It takes up and promotes the success of natural food companies that are already enacting that vision in their product focus. I understand the feelings folks are having, but I’d invite them to stick with us and see what’s possible.

Sisson wrote:John, I really appreciate your support, and expanding the Primal reach is exactly how I look at it. I’ll continue writing books and blog posts that illuminate the Primal way of living, too, but I’ve had many people tell me they found the Primal Blueprint through Primal Kitchen. The team and I aim to reach more people—through all our potential channels and means.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:37 am

Egads wrote:Seeing both sides of the issue here…..and absolutely have to agree that if Kraft-Heinz was waving 200 mil in my face for my homemade BBQ sauce, I’d sign on the dotted line in a NY minute. Mark is the reason I’m sitting here typing 63 lbs lighter, now able to bench press, excellent blood work and feeling more energy than I did in my 20s. As a cancer ‘survivor’ my health is obviously taken very seriously, so will this news have me turn my back on the primal lifestyle? Na-ha…it’s good, it works! I’ll be watching closely from the sidelines…paying careful attention to the product labels for any change. Momma didn’t raise no fool, all the fancy language boils down to profits and I have to take my health into my own hands. I have no grudge to bear against Kraft-Heinz, peeps have eyes and had the ability to read product labels long before Mark came on scene. When you can’t pronounce the ingredients and still choose to scarf it down, well, you have to put the blame squarely on yourself when the waistline starts to expand and visits to the doc increase. In the end this move doesn’t sit well with me, but I am pleased Mark is enjoying the fruits of his labor….fruits so many have benefited from, myself included, for over a decade….free of charge. Should be interesting to see how things transpire, I’m hoping the promise is upheld….but won’t hold my breath, purple ain’t my colour
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 am

What I find intriguing/funny is Sisson's smile (?grimace) on MDA with the announcement. Note the difference between the natural looking smile vs the announcement smile:

FWIW, I'm one of his freeloaders, I've read, enjoyed, and followed all the content over the years but have never bought any of his food items. I have bought a few of his books.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 am

Lovebird......I 100% agree. He's helped a lot of people during his time. One could follow the Primal way of life having literally spent ZERO dollars that went to Sisson. And, for that we should feel some gratitude. I can't thank Mark enough for all he's given. However, that being said, it saddens me that he has literally sold out. I imagine he genuinely thinks the products will remain the same but that's just not the realism of the industry.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 am

It’s interesting as Heinz started here in my hometown. Many years ago, they offered choices in the ketchup. Still do. And yes, their different versions do have very different ingredients. I will watch closely. I’ve been thankful to Heinz as I could get organic ketchup from them, when here in my crazy town I could get no other alternative.

With primal, ketchup use is very rare in my home, but still knowing I could get a better product when needed was awesome.

Some areas of the country have much better accesses to organic, grass fed etc than I can get here. Products mentioned by many of the greats just are not available to me. OR at a very hefty price via online retailers.

The thing is, I have never purchased any Primal Kitchen fare. I’ve been a scratch cooker/baker since I learned how with ketchup being the one exception to that rule. So I, like Rig, have pretty much had a free ride on the Sission train. I did purchase his Keto book and one cookbook. Wasn’t fond of the recipes in the cookbook, so that was a waste. Got his other books from the library.

Only time will tell whether this move is good or bad for the masses or not.

It reminds me of a time in the grocery, years before primal. I was in the organic section of a large grocery, so it did include a freezer section. I was standing down the case a bit. The man pulled a heat and eat meal out of the case and said to his wife do you want X. Can’t remember what it was exactly. The wife said that’s organic, the man said eww and put it back in the case. I had to go around the corner as I was laughing to myself.

So if having the Heinz/Kraft logo along with primal on the container, it might be a sneaky way of getting some to eat healthier.

Only time will tell
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:49 am

I have been thinking a lot about this. I think it is a good thing for many of the reasons NM pointed out and it shows big businesses are listening and realize that eating primal/paleo is here to stay. I like that this means that healthy foods are more accessible to more people and it may bring prices down.

I do a lot of shopping of local/small brands when I can but I am still an ingredient shopper. Sometime those local/small brands have "healthy" ingredients that I would never put in my body. Also larger companies have quality controls that should prevent ingredients being included that are not on the label. For me that is a real concern.

If I was his age and in his situation, I would have probably done the same thing. I think we have seen these acquisitions that have gone well, like Burts Bees and others that have not like Ben and Jerrys, which is now full of gums and other gross things. Time will tell if it is good or bad.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum