Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRX training

5 posters

Go down

TRX training Empty TRX training

Post by JCat Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Anyone use one? Debating getting one. Pros/cons? Recommendations? Helpful hints?

JCat

Back to top Go down

TRX training Empty Re: TRX training

Post by Rig D Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Was not familiar with this system, so visited their website to check it out. After 10 minutes, still not sure what it is, what you get if you buy it. Based on that, I'd pass.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm

TRX is training developed by Navy Seals with no access to a gym. My DS uses it in training for me and is also certified to train others in it’s use.

The basic principal is that in order to do the exercises with the straps, your whole body needs to work at the same time. So you build core stabilization, while doing a chest press. You’re body is the weight and the degree of difficulty come with the angle of use.

Something like doing push up off of the kitchen counter then down to a chair, then finally the floor. Only here you use the hand grips and the amount of lean for the chest press determines the amount of your body weight you are using.

There are tons of exercises it can be used for, and for all body parts. I’m not that far along yet to do some of them. Like a side plank with your feet in the straps.

All that said, you can find knock offs less expensively. I believe, however, that TRX has an accompanying app that will show you which exercises to do.

So if you have a door that you can hang it on or you can screw a mount somewhere, you can get a decent workout with one.

Hope that helps
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:10 pm

It can be a terrific workout. I'd highly recommend doing it with a trainer at least a couple of times to start out, as body position and form really matter for some of the exercises. I think official TRX is quite expensive too, so better to know if you actually like it before spending the money.

The quick adjustments of the TRX straps is nice and keeps a good flow going, but I knew my use would be intermittent, so I bought wooden gymnastic rings instead. I can do most of the standard TRX exercises with them when working out at home. At my gym, I can borrow a set of the real thing and I will say they are better.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by JCat Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks for the input. I need something that I can set up quickly and get a decent workout. Our free weights are in the garage. To get to them, I have to get my husband to move his car. (He's very particular about his car, so I won't drive it.) Then the benches, plates, and heaters have to be moved. By the time I get that done and get the bar loaded, the short person in the house needs something, or it's time to pick someone up, so everything has to be put back. I could look at moving the stuff as a workout, but it's not quite enough. Smile

JCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 pm

TRX might well fit the bill then. It can be static or quite mobile depending upon exercise choice. It doesn't take a lot of space assuming you have something to hook the straps to.

Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:07 am

I would definitely look into it. What’s really nice is in the summer and when it’s 65 or so out, we use it on the back deck. Hang it from the back door that leads to the deck. Feels great being outside and still getting a WO. I can hang from a tree as well.

My DD was gifted one make by Weider. Have. No idea the price, but basically the same thing. I also saw one at Aldi once for like 14.99. Now not sure how long it would hold up, but very little investment to try.

And I second someone showing you how to use it. Form is very important and it’s main purpose is being unstable so that you call most of your body’s muscles into the exercise even if it’s not the part you are working. I would definitely be worth paying for a few rounds with a trainer.

Good luck
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:42 pm

TRX is great, you will definitely need a bit of instruction at first. I used to do it regularly and saw real benefits.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by JCat Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:30 am

I went ahead and got one. I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I can see that it has potential. It's definitely better than what I'm doing now (nothing!), so we shall see. Thanks for the reviews!

JCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:41 am

JCat I hope you enjoy the TRX. Definitely watch the moves online. Once you register, they will send you emails with moves of the week. Many times though, they are not beginner moves.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down