Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 minutes per week of interval training

+2
ONTARIO
sharperhawk
6 posters

Go down

3 minutes per week of interval training Empty 3 minutes per week of interval training

Post by sharperhawk Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:31 pm

I came across an article on thepaleodiet.com: "Can You Out-Sprint Type-2 Diabetes?" Near the end is a summary of a very impressive result.
Dr. Martin Gibala PhD, a world-renown expert in HIIT from McMaster University in Canada, recently compared the benefits of 3 minutes of exercise per week (yes… 3 minutes for the entire week!) versus the traditional recommendations of 150 minutes per week of exercise on fitness. His research team found that the HIIT group improved their fitness to the same degree as the continuous aerobic group after the 12-week intervention [12]. Looks like time is no longer an excuse (everyone has 3 minutes per week).

The journal article is titled "Twelve Weeks of Sprint Interval Training Improves Indices of Cardiometabolic Health Similar to Traditional Endurance Training despite a Five-Fold Lower Exercise Volume and Time Commitment" and was published in PlosONE. The full article is available for free.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

3 minutes per week of interval training Empty Re: 3 minutes per week of interval training

Post by ONTARIO Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:34 am

Here's your link, Sharperhawk.....

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0154075

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

3 minutes per week of interval training Empty Re: 3 minutes per week of interval training

Post by srinath_69 Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:10 am

My brother who is canadian BTW has been pushing me to do sprints. Sets of 8, as fast as you can sustain for 45 seconds. rest, recover, repeat.
May be something to do - over the weights I am a much bigger fan of.
But, I have tremendous lower body strength (due to being 240lb) and noodle arms and skinny chest. I've heard that its a better option if you're gonna be out of proportion to be bigger in your lower body.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:44 am

Its not quite 3 min a week, more like 30, its a 10 minute session with a 1 min of Super intense in the middle as per that article.
I would do 6-8 sprints of 45 sec each with a rest and recover between each. That should take 30 min for set of 8. And its ideally done 3X a week.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by nikitakolata Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Interesting. It goes a little counter to the MDA method of doing sprints only once every 7 to 10 days. I am a huge fan of efficient exercise though. Does anyone here do sprints this frequently (3x/week)?
nikitakolata
nikitakolata

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:01 pm

7-10 days is where I am now, the push is to get to 3X a week. TBH, I love doing weights especially with the college/pro grade athletic equipment. I hate sprints and running of all kinds.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm

That is indeed an interesting article.

The study was on sedentary men. I would describe myself as a semi-sedentary woman. My "schedule" usually includes 5-plus hours of hiking and maximum 1 hour of dancing per week, along with a few limbering up moves most mornings. The rest of the time I don't do much physical at all.

Even though I have never been keen on sprints, the results should certainly be worth 3 minutes a week.

I see their programme was 3x 20-second sprints for a total of one minute (interspersed with 2 minutes of gentle cycling), and do that three times a week. I don't have a bike but I have a skipping rope that would probably do. So simple, gotta try it.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Annieh wrote:That is indeed an interesting article.

The study was on sedentary men.  I would describe myself as a semi-sedentary woman. My "schedule" usually includes 5-plus hours of hiking and maximum 1 hour of dancing per week, along with a few limbering up moves most mornings.  The rest of the time I don't do much physical at all.

Even though I have never been keen on sprints, the results should certainly be worth 3 minutes a week.

I see their programme was 3x 20-second sprints for a total of one minute (interspersed with 2 minutes of gentle cycling), and do that three times a week.  I don't have a bike but I have a skipping rope that would probably do.  So simple, gotta try it.

I did a few 45 second ones a few weeks ago and the pain didn't fade till yesterday. If you dont recover, you're hurting yourself with any HIIT. That is one reason I like doing weights ,and hate doing sprints.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 pm

srinath_69 wrote: If you dont recover, you're hurting yourself

Good point. I am very unlikely to push myself to that degree, but thank you for the warning. I am certainly not wanting to injure myself or do more harm than good.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 am

Annieh wrote:
srinath_69 wrote: If you dont recover, you're hurting yourself

Good point.  I am very unlikely to push myself to that degree, but thank you for the warning. I am certainly not wanting to injure myself or do more harm than good.

Learning as I go along myself. I had elbow pain for days, I stopped everything for 9 days and hit the gym yesterday, and right as I started, the elbow pain was nearly gone. I also lifted more on every routine. More reps too. Had to cut the number of routines down, cos of breaking a sweat and had snuck away from work to workout
I had about 90 min before the elbow started hurting again, and now, 24 hr since, still hurts. I think I'm gonna have to save my upper body for now, and do sprints tomorow.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:02 pm

"Body by Science," by Little and McGuff. Changed my workout life. Dr. McGuff explains why it take about a week for muscles to fully recover from lift/contract to exhaustion. Target is 90 seconds per exercise. Get it all done in 15-20 minutes, full body, machine or free weights. When I'm on this, I gain strength every single week.

https://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Research-Strength-Training/dp/0071597174/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1515891591&sr=8-3&keywords=body+by+science

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am

So a 15-20 min session once a week ??? I will look through that book and try it, I can almost feel why that will work better. Maybe 1 set of 6-9 sprints on the weekend, and 1 lift session mid week.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down