Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Seasoning pans

4 posters

Go down

Seasoning pans Empty Seasoning pans

Post by ekba Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:14 pm

NM was asking how people season pans (cast iron and carbon steel).

We generally use flaxseed oil. Warm the pan slightly to dry any surface moisture, then wipe on a very thin coat of the oil. Probably a teaspoon for the entire pan. Half will be in the rag/paper towel. Include the sides, bottom, handle - whatever parts are iron/steel. Then heat it up. We do cast iron in the oven at 400F for maybe 45 minutes. I have been doing the carbon steel on a medium gas burner because it is small enough and it is quicker. We usually do multiple coats.

What you want is a polymerized coating to protect the metal from moisture and to make the slick surface. To polymerize the oil needs some polyunsaturates - yes, the dreaded PUFAs. Flax seed, walnut and grapeseed are good choices. If you use flax, the house will smell like varnish because old fashioned varnish uses linseed (= flax) oil because it “dries” into a durable coating.

Once you have a good coating, cleanup should be easy. You can soak briefly in water if needed and you can even use soap. Just don’t scrub hard or scour.

Every so often you will need to reseaon with a coat or two.

That’s what we do. What do you do?
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Seasoning pans Empty Re: Seasoning pans

Post by Narrowminded Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:55 pm

Thank you for your very thorough explanation.

For my cast iron, I've been told either coconut oil or bacon grease. Heat at 400 for 45 min with the pan upside down on a tray to catch the extra oil.

I definitely think yours sounds much better, due to the way different oils react with the metal. I haven't been thrilled with what I've tried, so I think I will give my cast iron a good cleaning and give the flax oil a try. Thank you.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:01 pm

That's what we do, as well. However, for something that might need a scour we toss a little coarse salt in the pan and use it as an abrasive.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:39 pm

I didn’t know about the PUFAs! I have always used bacon grease. Also I get to enjoy the 🥓 bacon. I would usually just wipe out the pan to clean it, kosher salt if necessary.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum