Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are we and Why are we here?

+3
ekba
Rig D
Pedidoc
7 posters

Go down

Who are we and Why are we here? Empty Who are we and Why are we here?

Post by Narrowminded Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:33 am

I spent a lot of time this morning thinking about the "Good Luck Americans" and "Covid-19" threads and some of my own posts in those threads, and I wanted to do a follow-up of something I feel needs said.

When this forum started, those that came here, came here due to our common thoughts on eating and health. It remained a wonderful place for us to gather and share our thoughts on health and how we felt the best was was to get there. We have also been there to support others through major and minor trials in their lives. I know personally, I could not have made it through what I went through without the wonderful people still here and some of those who have left.

What bothers me is that this year for the first time politics entered this sacred space. It entered due to Covid and the election. Sure this past year due to restrictions, illnesses, deaths and elections have polarized many people. What makes me sad is that we can't seem to agree to disagree. I find that odd give the fact that we do just that with our eating. Some enjoy dairy others don't. Some can eat some grain, while others avoid all grains. Some feel they want to be Keto or closer to Keto, others are happy just doing basic primal. And that was never and issue.

It seems this year and it's been coming, that if you disagree politically, that is not an option. Why? Why is it so danged important that I have to believe and speak just like you? Why does it make it "wrong" if I speak or believe differently? It doesn't matter with food, why should it matter with politics?

If you are on one side, you believe the other side is telling all the lies, if you are on the opposite side, same thing.

I have a neighbor with whom I am good friends. We are opposite side of the political spectrum, yet she and I can sit and discuss politics and not wind up hating each other or throwing the other to the curb because we disagree. We just agree to disagree, think on the questions the other has asked and remain as good of friends as always. That's the way it should be, that's how it is here with food etc.

Please everyone, respect every member of this tribe. In the end, it really doesn't matter what they believe the truth of the matter is, what matters is that we keep our tribe together and continue to support one another through thick and thin.

I know I have typos galore in my posts, maybe I use a wrong word here or there, we all do at some point. Let's respect others thoughts.

Those that choose to stay in and wear masks deserve the same respect as those who choose to go out. I believe everyone here follows the law, so even if you don't agree with masks, you wear them where required. Some of us have health issues that require more due diligence than others and that's ok. You do you, I'll do me and each person here will do themselves. We don't have to be clones to be friends and we should not have to.

My hope is we can continue here as a tribe focused around food and eating and exercise and about how we work to make our own lives better and healthier. Let's get back to what made us great as a tribe. We have seen loved members leave our tribe, I would guess in part due to what has happened this year. I don't want to see more go.

This pandemic has been stressful on everyone. Let's use this place to come together as we always have to keep our minds off of the daily, vent when we need to and support one another as has been our custom.

I've said my peace, if you want to toss me from this tribe, I will respect your wishes.

Hugs to all.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Who are we and Why are we here? Empty Re: Who are we and Why are we here?

Post by Pedidoc Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 am

Thank you, NM. This too has been bothering me. I wonder if we have lost some cherished members from the tribe because of it. I know I have pulled way back due to it. Hoping and praying that the tribe can survive the 2020 fall out.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:17 am

Agree, I'll pull way back on the political stuff.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:32 pm

Fair enough and agreed. Back to the original purpose.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Agreed! Today's Sunday With Sisson drives home this point.

From Sunday With Sisson:

BLOG |
PRIMAL KITCHEN |
PRIMAL BLUEPRINT

Morning, everyone.

If you keep staring into the glowing rectangle affixed to your hand, yeah, your blood pressure will rise. The ride is feeling turbulent. Everyone's at each other's throats. Everything is terrible.

The stress is warranted. It's natural to feel helpless watching everything unfold, each minute feeling more uneasy than the last. I don't claim to know how to solve any of it.

The best thing you can do is take breaks from the news. You don't have to shelter yourself from everything that's happening, but try not to let it consume you.

Go outside and engage with the world – the mundane parts of daily life are enough to do it. And, in this case, they might be the most powerful and transformative.

Go out for the day. Leave your phone behind. Unplug. What will you see?

There's a guy filling up his tank at the gas station.

There's a lady walking her dog down the road.

There are people buying groceries, eating out (well, depends where you are), and grabbing a midday coffee.

There are kids playing in the park, teens roaming the streets on bikes and scooters.

Small spurts of normalcy add up.

Grab some to-go food and tip really well.

Read a book to your kids. Go for a hike, a snowball fight. Have movie night. Get the kids down early to have date night with the significant other.

These everyday interactions can do wonders for your emotional state. It can help you feel like you're moving forward, because you are.

The possibilities to explore and engage with the world border on endless. The real, actual world is so much bigger and more beautiful than the screen in your hand.

I'm not saying to ignore the state of things, or pretend it's not happening. I'm not saying you shouldn't care. It impacts us all, one way or another. What I'm saying is to look for things that are familiar, things that make your world feel like the world you know. They're out there. And those are the things that will allow us to exhale for a minute, and get us through.

Let me know how you're giving yourself breaks from it all in the comments of the post, Processing Emotions Through Hard Times, written by our senior writer and Mark's Daily Apple community manager, Lindsay Taylor, PhD. It's one that's worth referring back to when times are tense.

~ Mark Sisson

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:57 pm

Ontario - I read that after posting and I agree, it is much the same idea.

Thank you everyone.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:33 am

While I haven't yet read the post I did do my own version....Lake MI. Lots of waves, generous amount of people, dogs, and beach glass.

No fossils other than me.

perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:03 am

I have been feeling much the same. It seems there are certain trigger words that get some people's blood boiling. Why isn't it okay to just listen, respect and move on? Even if offering an opposing idea or opinion in the process? We have become a world of division and intolerance to diversity of opinion. This hurts me so deeply! We are all in the family of being HUMAN. We all have differing thoughts and ideas and passions. Respecting that is what makes humanity doable.

I have also been quite uncomfortable with some of the seemingly emotional posts, targeted comments and just unkindness (is that a word?). I have considered leaving numerous times over the past year because of this. This should be a safe, loving and respectful place that we can come and share, ask for advice, offer help and just relax in a world that is all too volatile right now. It is sad that long time participants have left.

To me - safety in this place means that I have the freedom to share my thoughts and opinions on diet, religion and politics alike -- and so do you all. And I respect and honor your words without judgement or recourse - and likewise, I would hope to receive the same.

This place is very important to me and I don't want to lose it.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum