Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sous Vide Yay or Nay

+3
Rig D
Lovebird
Narrowminded
7 posters

Go down

Sous Vide Yay or Nay Empty Sous Vide Yay or Nay

Post by Narrowminded Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:04 pm

I put this in my journal, but wanted to pose the question where more may see it.

I've been hearing about Sous Vide a lot. I've never used one. My question concerns cooking food in plastic. Generally speaking I store things in glass as much as possible. I do use a vac sealer for meat in the freezer. But cooking in plastic?

Does anyone know and I'll do more research on this myself, but at what temp will plastic impart chemicals? That's the big conundrum I've had since I first heard about sous vide a few years ago. At first blush I completely dismissed it due to the plastic.

Also I'm wondering if you could use a glass jar, take the air out and cook that way but I think, and I may be wrong as I know very little about sous vide, maybe the water has to come closer than a jar would allow?

Ok, I hope this is the best place for this thread. Didn't feel like it fit recipes or nutrition. Any Mod please feel free to move this if you feel it fits one of those better.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sous Vide Yay or Nay Empty Re: Sous Vide Yay or Nay

Post by Lovebird Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:25 am

LB, first it’s great to see you pop in.

Nope totally forgot about that thread and since I did, I didn’t search either. My bad. With all that was going on in my life then, I’m sure it went in one ear and out the other.

What peaked my question was one of the YouTube people I follow “Serious Keto”, he mentioned canning pickles using Sous vide, and it kept them crisp. That would be something I would like, and given I know basically nothing about the method, it struck me.

Even that old thread really doesn’t go into anything about it, other than OTB’s description of how he does a work around. And no I don’t have the patience to do what he did.

Sorry for starting another thread when we had one already.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:31 am

Sorry for starting another thread when we had one already.

That is so NOT the reason I commented... Razz you might get some answers on this one from people with more recent experience or other insights. Not from me though, I don't have one and don't see a need for it. YMMV

It's not like the forums are that busy nowadays... although it's great to see that some keep showing up to share their days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:36 am

Not sure I’ll ever buy one, hence the question.

You would think with all the lock downs, the forum would have grown, but I guess not.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:23 am

We've never used one, like LB, never saw the need. I might be inclined to try the method Ekba discussed in the last post on prior thread.
I think "loose ends" is the right spot for this, doesn't seem to fit elsewhere.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:35 am

We got one for Christmas and it works great on seafood and steaks. E is the one that uses it so he has the technical knowledge. It is nice to have but not necessary. Our unit is fairly small and fits perfectly in a pot we already had so it does not take up much space.
Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm

We LOVE ours. We use it all the time. Well, I should say, hubby used it all the time. We probably use it at least once a week. It makes for a perfect steak. We cook all sorts of things in it - meat, veggies, whole eggs, heck, we've even tried making eggnog in it (it turned out great!).

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Thank you everyone for your tips on sous vide. It's not currently on my want or need list, just heard about canning with one, so that interested me.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Everything we do with it is around 130F and not for more than an hour or so, so I don’t worry about the plastic.

It does a really great job with shrimp.

I tried lower temperature pickles a while back (just by tweaking the burner on the stove). We did not notice any difference in crispness. Now we just do refrigerator pickles.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Sous Vide Yay or Nay Empty Sous vide YAY!!!

Post by breadsauce Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:24 am

Hi.I've just found this thread ... I have sous vide as one of the options on my Instant Pot - and I use it a LOT. It is terrific at making a cheap cut of beef come out super tender. Marvellous with eggs, fish etc. My only gripe is using plastic. At all. Not from health reasons (I am sure that at the low cooking temperatures the plastic is stable.) But I hate using it from environmental reasons. If only they made biodegradable bags! I have made lots of eggs in china Egg Coddlers (which I love) and various things in screw top Ball jars. But as a techniques, I think it is great.

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:17 pm

Breadsauce....I wonder if you can reuse the larger bags by washing them and then re-using them for smaller things later. I know that I often wash out larger ziplocs for freezer storage of meats.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:16 pm

While I still don't own a Sous Vide, I do have a Food saver and I do wash and re-use those bags until they get too small to seal. While it's good for the environment it's definitely better on the wallet too.

Thanks for the tip on using jars etc instead of the plastic.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

breadsauce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:08 am

HI narrow-minded - like you, I wash the bags over and over until they refuse to seal any more! But I DO wish that they would make biodegradable bags!

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down