Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low carb and hangovers.

+9
Lovebird
sharperhawk
ONTARIO
Paysan
Neck2
OnTheBayou
Rig D
Narrowminded
srinath_69
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Low carb and hangovers. - Page 4 Empty Re: Low carb and hangovers.

Post by Paysan Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:03 pm

You're talking about the guys that just eat meat and fat? Hope not. I've tried that, too. Like so many promising ideals that appealed to my brain/emotions, my stupid body said No way. In the long run, the body overrides most of our misguided eating habits by saying Do or Die. Alas, too  many people choose the 2nd option.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 pm

priest should be banned for his behavior on MDA. It has nothing to do with his being vegan. He was intentionally insulting and disruptive over hundreds of posts. I don't see that we owe him a second chance here.

I don't think moderation should have anything to do with the beliefs of the forum member. People should feel free to argue about their differences, but insults and flooding should be off limits, even for the most dyed-in-the-wool Grok.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 am

ekba wrote:Will the zero vegetable folks get cut off too? Vegetables are the base of the Primal food pyramid, so that would seem antithetical to Primal as well.

Nobody will get cut off. Vegans (and everybody else) are welcome to inquire about the Primal Diet, just not argue for the umpteenth time about What the Health and other propaganda movies containing false premises, that's all.

There is plenty of room for civil conversation/debate/discussion. And before you ask: it doesn't matter how many carbs you like to eat either. Or how much meat/fish/fowl/eggs/dairy. Just that you are open to the basics of the Primal Blueprint.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:43 am

sharperhawk wrote:priest should be banned for his behavior on MDA. It has nothing to do with his being vegan. He was intentionally insulting and disruptive over hundreds of posts. I don't see that we owe him a second chance here.

I don't think moderation should have anything to do with the beliefs of the forum member. People should feel free to argue about their differences, but insults and flooding should be off limits, even for the most dyed-in-the-wool Grok.

You're welcome to shoot a PM to Ontario if you want to moderate.

Moderation will always be based on behaviour and never on beliefs. That goes for Priest too. He's been warned and is aware of the consequences. And it's up to the admin and moderators to decide who gets banned. Spammers and advertisers will be at first attempt. Others will get a chance to show their willingness to improve.

The rules will be added today to inform everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:33 am

This forum was created to ensure a safe environment for those that follow or are interested in following a paleo/primal lifestyle, because MDA stopped being that place, due to lack of moderation and willingness to provide adequate updates and ignoring member suggestions/questions. Most of us were there and saw what happened with our own eyes. If you feel the need to question anything, by all means do so, but understand that all we are trying to do is to make sure this forum is a safe place, without having to defend choices based on paleo/primal. That's all I meant to say with the 'vegan discussion' remark earlier. You're welcome to talk about whatever subject you want, but there is no need to start a thread by posting (a link to) vegan propaganda if it's just to annoy the carnivores/omnivores, which happened plenty of times at MDA, just to stir things up and not so much to discuss. There's plenty of room for all of us though, regardless of the exact plan you follow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:11 am

And if anyone decides to follow Srinath's advice, it's at your own risk. Just be aware most of it has got nothing to do with paleo/primal. There is more to health than just weight loss. And more to primal than just food. Not that I need to remind this community about that, but perhaps the newbies.

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 am

Lovebird wrote:And if anyone decides to follow Srinath's advice, it's at your own risk. Just be aware most of it has got nothing to do with paleo/primal. There is more to health than just weight loss. And more to primal than just food. Not that I need to remind this community about that, but perhaps the newbies.

I am not giving any one advice. I am just going to put what I find on here. I dont even have a theory I am trying to validate. All I am thinking is that the data could suggest a theory. Not even should, could.

In fact I think I'd have to re post the old tests as well cos its on mda not this one.

I got 124/82 with less caffeine and 18 hr alchy free yesterday. I'm guessing the rise in BP is stress+caffeine+alchy related in the short term, which is bad too because once again its area under the curve that counts. I find that fasting is a bit of a huge stressor, that's why I'm limiting to max 2-3 day, but that was on day 5 that I got that high BP.

I should stay under 2 seriously, and better yet, I should quit for the rest of the winter cos my blood test is likely tomorrow.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 pm

Let us know. We expect you will be honest with your numbers since you've been honest so far with some of your eye-brow raising behaviour and theories, Srinath. Very Happy

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Paysan wrote:Let us know. We expect you will be honest with your numbers since you've been honest so far with some of your eye-brow raising behaviour and theories, Srinath. Very Happy

We all know you get more out of any forum when you're honest - The danger is the TMI part.
Anyway the recent lab test is likely to get posted first, cos I will have to search for the others.
Seriously I think everyone needs to get insulin checked @ every physical ...

BTW I am on drink 6 @ hour 6, hows that for timed to perfection ...
The bigger question is - WTF, you started drinking @ noon ... on wednesday ???
Sorry, Ice storm sent every one home early.

Last edited by srinath_69 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typoe Grrr)

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Just came across the newest salvo against excess drinking. Mark's Weekend Link Love has a blurb on how drinking can damage stem cells in the blood, and how protective enzymes produced by the body to mitigate the damage are lacking or faulty in many people. Particularly South Asians.
Of course, the very next blurb went on to discuss how genetics can influence our response to carbohydrates. Heheh. Here's an interesting quote from that article:
"CONCLUSIONS: Mendelian randomization analyses provide evidence for a causal relationship of glucose-stimulated insulin secretion on body weight, consistent with the carbohydrate–insulin model of obesity."

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

Stephan Guyenet wrote an analysis of the Mendelian randomization study: Interesting new genetic study on insulin secretion and body mass.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Interesting. The insulin as main driver of obesity theory is shown to be weak at best. Again.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Unless you happen to be the descendant of carb sensitive people like moi. I'm the person who can get fatter  inhaling yeasty sugary aromas just walking past a bakery! Crying or Very sad

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:02 am

MDA weekend link love has this link on alcohol relating to DNA damage in stem cells:
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180103132629.htm
The last paragraph reads: "We know that alcohol contributes to over 12,000 cancer cases in the UK each year, so it's a good idea to think about cutting down on the amount you drink."

The full paper is here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25154
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 am

Atleast they haven't jumped form alcohol to "excess calories" - but they also dont specifically mention not giving the mice any other food.
I've seriously looked for over 6 months for a viable study on alcohol consumption in the context of a very very low carb diet.
This is the macros approximately. 500-1500 cal as alcohol, 100-1000 as fat, 0-200 as protein and 0-50 as carb, months on end.
I should be getting the blood tests back pretty soon, and I'm hanging up the shot glasses for a few weeks atleast, if not longer and likely making another run @ the magic 10% BF preferably hitting the gym and the sprints harder if the weather gets better like its supposed to. The 6 pack beckons and the lovely is objectifying them, so its a good reason to get them.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am

ekba wrote:Interesting. The insulin as main driver of obesity theory is shown to be weak at best. Again.

Stephen Guyenet seems to indicate that you can lose weight with very low fat and high carb, or very low carb and high fat, that doesn't discount the insulin theory or weaken it.
However his interpretation of the study seems to focus on that aspect, the study itself has this as its finding -

Roughly 20% of obese humans are insulin sensitive and have normal circulating insulin levels, an issue I discussed in my 2012 AHS talk (7). Consistent with the evidence in animal models I just discussed, this demonstrates that hyperinsulinemia is not required for obesity in humans. - Pulled from another Stephan Guyenet article - http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/12/is-it-time-to-re-write-textbooks-on.html -

AKA, 20% dont follow the insulin as driver of obesity. You want to know how you can tell if you're in that 20% or not without a full blown insulin sensor implanted checking insulin AUC ??? Go low carb and if that causes weight loss to the 10% BF range, yeaaaayyyyyy for you, congrads. You're in the 20%.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Below is a tangent. I thought it might be interesting to people here, given the strong DIY ethos.

sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Lovely, I want to see what that looks like when a man drinks 20-40cc of moonshine in 2 hrs.
Depending on the strength - that's the rate I drink at. 1 drink in 2 hrs. Some of our local shine pushes 90%. And some others barely break 30%. That's % not proof.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 pm

It took me a while, but what I took away from that video, besides making moonshine is trouble with the feds, and can kill you from methanol poisoning, is that the cure consists of more of the same, with additions. IOW, the cure is the hair of the dog that bit you. ????
No thanks. I prefer to keep my eyesight and brain cells as intact as possible. I'm glad our foolish friend CS survived.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:03 am

CS is certainly a Darwin award candidate.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4