Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eating Past When Hunger Strikes?

+2
Pedidoc
ShelleyM
6 posters

Go down

Eating Past When Hunger Strikes? Empty Eating Past When Hunger Strikes?

Post by ShelleyM Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:00 pm

In a nutshell, when listening to your body, if you are hungry at a time (noonish) or two (fourish) and don't eat because it is not convenient, do you eat at the next available time (dinnerish) whether you are then hungry or not?
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Eating Past When Hunger Strikes? Empty Re: Eating Past When Hunger Strikes?

Post by Pedidoc Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Not necessarily.  I try to have protein shakes, trimino protein water, and protein bars available in my office.  I keep a bar in my purse.  That way if I am hungry and cannot eat at work, I can always dring a shake or sip on the water.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by marcadav Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:04 am

I think it's important to eat enough, but not too much, in the big picture. Eating too much will add body fat due to too many calories.

Not eating enough runs the risk of down regulating thyroid hormones, causing a cascade of issues, that can also increase body fat or make it extremely difficult to lower body fat levels.

marcadav

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:45 am

Depends. If you feel hungry but the hunger passes, then that's ok, don't eat.

Later, if it's actually dinner time, and the other person is having a meal, I would usually eat least a small meal with them unless I am really positively NOT hungry. If I don't, I'm bound to feel hungry later and then we have missed a meal together for no good reason. Also, eating at the "right" time would put me back on schedule again, otherwise likely to wake in the night or be out of kilter again the next day. Does that make sense?
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:17 am

Marcadav, thanks for the input. I am definitely not in danger of overeating at this point. My body does not tell me it is hungry very often. I do get concerned sometimes about eating too little. I am trying to adhere to the path of eating when my body tells me to. I can't help but think it will all turn out fine.

Yes, Annie, that makes sense, and I did eat a little when M at last night. By the time I had it all prepared I was sort of neutral in the hunger department. I am glad you agree that eating just for the sake of eating after skipping a meal is not necessary.

As for a schedule, my hunger hasn't found one yet.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:52 pm

Eating regularly helps to entrain circadian rhythm. In general, people should eat most of their food during sunlight hours. If you're going to skip meals, skipping an evening meal is preferable.

I have noticed that people who IF tend to eat highly rewarding foods when they do eat. I think that is counterproductive in the long run. The main problem with the modern food environment is that we have come to expect a great deal of pleasure from eating. Every bite has to be superawesomely yummy, not merely good. I'd say it's better to develop a habit of eating mostly plain foods that you can tolerate, with occasional treats like a restaurant meal or junk.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:20 pm

Should I eat at regular intervals even if I am not hungry? I don't IF intentionally. My goal is to eat when I am stomach hungry, which isn't often lately. I eat purely Primal right now — no 80/20 at the moment.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:20 am

Annieh wrote:Depends.  If you feel hungry but the hunger passes, then that's ok, don't eat.

Later, if it's actually dinner time, and the other person is having a meal, I would usually eat least a small meal with them unless I am really positively NOT hungry. If I don't, I'm bound to feel hungry later and then we have missed a meal together for no good reason.  Also, eating at the "right" time would put me back on schedule again, otherwise likely to wake in the night or be out of kilter again the next day.  Does that make sense?

Agreed. This is what I do as well. As much as we might not like it, eating IS very much a social opportunity as it is a nutritional one. Our relationships with our close tribe members (family) serves us emotionally and "breaking bread" together allows us to share an inclusive moment with them. In my opinion this is more important than maintaining my personal schedule.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down