Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long can you live w/o veggies?

+19
Rocky07
The Walrus
Lovebird
priest
meepster
Acroyali
Annieh
John Caton
Neck2
sharperhawk
WestCoastFire
Ellito
Nightly Orange
Meant2Move
OnTheBayou
srinath_69
Rig D
ONTARIO
Paysan
23 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

How long can you live w/o veggies? - Page 4 Empty Re: How long can you live w/o veggies?

Post by priest Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 pm

I don't understand, do you think Primal/ Paleo is extreme? veganazism is DEFINITELY extreme, for sure, but I feel like everything is totally back to normal now. no more whacky ethics or environmental issues involved at mealtime. if it tastes good, eat it! no consequences or hidden agendas in that

priest

Back to top Go down

How long can you live w/o veggies? - Page 4 Empty Re: How long can you live w/o veggies?

Post by Paysan Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:21 pm

OKayyyy! Cheesecake, icing, peanut butter and/or onion and mayo samiches, KFC ,Chinese takeout coming up.
Oh wait! Weren't these the tasty things responsible for bleeding ulcers, total fatigue and serious weight gain in me over 20 years ago?
Sorry Priest, but good taste does not equate to good health in my book. I've had to amputate most of my taste buds in order to regain a measure of health. It's not that those items don't taste good, but that my tastes have been trained along different paths now.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by priest Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:26 pm

sorry, I meant tastes good AND healthy. I speak from the Primal perspective, not the SAD

priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 am

https://www.dietdoctor.com/ketogenic-diet-fewer-vegetables

Interview of Ivor Cummins with Georgia Ede is temporarily available for non-members of dietdoctor.

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:27 am

Hmm, that was quite interesting.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Absolutely! Please note that Georgia Ede wasn't recommending a totally plant-free diet; but was close to it. Why? Because after trying almost every diet ever devised in N.A.; she personally received great benefit from a ketogenic diet. However, she may find later on that strict adherence to a 100% keto diet may fail her in the end. Dr. Mercola gives some insight on this even as he advocates for a cyclical keto diet that gives benefits while reducing some foreseeable drawbacks.
https://articles.mercola.com/ketogenic-diet.aspx
You will see that Mercola has changed his stance several times over the intervening years, but only as new info becomes available. He still eats veggies and grows most  of his own. Wink

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 am

Keto is not plant free... au contraire.

Georgia Ede has her own personal reasons for keeping certain veggies/fruits out of her diet, aside from what she explains in her famous lecture 'Little Shop Of Horrors. The Risks And Benefits of Eating Plants' AHS 2012, so she eats a mostly meat diet.

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Whether from a religious standpoint, or a philosophical one, to me, taking a stand against vegetables (or plants) isn't any better than taking a stand against meat.

This planet is filled with bounty. It's almost a 'sin' to poo-poo a whole group of food.

I'm not fond of a lot of veggies, but it would be tough for me to go without the ones I like for very long. That said, if I had to feed myself today on $X, I'd spend most of it on meat.
LoonieJ
LoonieJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:22 am

Thought this would fit nicely in this thread: https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/03/14/dr-shawn-bakers-carnivore-diet-a-review/

Not so much because of the carnivore part, but more because Marty Kendall is all about nutrient density. Smile Plus it mentions Joe and Charlene Anderson, still doing fine on their ribeye regime. As well as the 2 boys.

http://meatheals.com/2018/02/04/charlene-andersen/#comment-133

FWIW I like veggies (especially those that are technically fruits). Colourful ones. As a sidedish to my protein. Wink And not in the form of raw kale... Then again, I've never had any of the issues with food the people in the 'meatheals' blog have/had. JMMV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 am

^ These people have done well with this program, In particular, Charlene at age 42 has a body most young 20 types would envy.

My one experiment with starting off on Atkins back in the 70's seems to be pretty much in line with this "all carnivore" idea. I was good at first, but steadily felt worse as I progressed. I made it a few weeks in and just ran out of available energy to do anything at all. Perhaps I just didn't hang in long enough, but I just couldn't go any longer with it. I'll pass on further experiments with it, once was 1 time too many for me.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Very interesting links, Lovebird.  Spent too much time on the first one! Made some comments, see "pzo," my anywhere alter-ego.

While an all meat diet has helped some people greatly, I have concerns that show up in the first link, sub-optimal blood scores, for instance. And methionone loads.  I think that for some, the carnivore diet is like veganism.  Some outliers do well.  Most of us, not so much.

Also, Bor.......ing.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:25 am

Most of us don't have the means nor desire to track our blood scores, optimal or otherwise. We tend to accept that as long as we feel good, that everything is  ok. It may not be, but that's the way it is. Only sick people tend to worry about their scores.
FWIW, meat and fat diets aren't as boring as you'd think. Stephansson ate steak for a full year. There's no record of him ever refusing it during, nor even after the experiment ended. Those on the zero carb forum say the same about their meat choices.
OTB, I'd hazard a guess that your ancestors came from areas of year-round vegetables.Wink But northern cultures are not outliers, just ...different. And I just saw my daughter's cat, a committed carnivore, outside chewing on grass. Hmmmm. Razz

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:05 am

I've been considering going on an zero-carb diet for a while, since I still don't seem to loose weight on a regular keto-diet. But I've been reading "The Bears thread here
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=287013

...he certainly doesn't convince me. He braggs how super healthy he is and then mentions in a sidenote that he had throat cancer even though he never smoked nor drank much - the Drs were puzzled. His fasting glucose is around 100, I would personally be worried about my fasting glucose if it was around 100... and he spouts a lot of "facts" that are demonstrably false (zero carbs = zero insulin).

Granted you can live on zero carbs, for many many years even. And some people with severe digestive issues even thrive on it. The Inuit certainly did it and so did the masai. But I am still not convinced that it is generally better for everyone.

P.S. Could live on raw fish easily for a long time, but seal is disgusting... would not be able to stomach that raw or cooked

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:06 am

Dawn, I've read Bear's comments several times over the years. Yes, he is scientifically inaccurate all over the place. And, who know about the throat cancer? People get lung cancer who have never smoked, men get breast cancer. Was it too much grill meat? I have no idea and I think conjecture would be dangerous.

A FBG of 100 is perfectly good and normal. Sure, we all like less, but 100 is OK. In fact, if we factor in the many observations that low carbers often have a creeping upward of FBG, it's possible that if he ate a few carbs it could be down at 85-90.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:18 am

I wouldn't suggest that the throat cancer is due to the zero-carb diet (sorry if it came off like that). But it certainly failed to prevent it, he wasn't the example of perfect health that he claimed. That was my point.

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:28 am

Dawn, OK!

NO one has "perfect health." It's like people saying they've never been to the doctor's. Impossible. Even if a witch doctor. Very Happy

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 am

I seriously doubt that Grok & co. would eat a 0 carb diet unless that was dictated by environment.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:42 am

Rig D - I agree

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 pm

So for northerners living where veggies don't grow, they have little choice except to eat mostly meat and fat, or buy inferior veggies shipped in by expensive air freight. But before we cry tears over their deprivation, those who stick to that severe a diet likely have no trouble with allergies, digestive ailments like celiac and Crohn's. The rest of us eat our veggies and have to dodge pesticides, herbicides and naturally occuring plant toxins. Or else do mainly as Bear did, w/o the braggadocio.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 am

http://foodmed.net/2018/05/mikhaila-peterson-poster-girl-carnivore/

Some times one simply has no other choice...

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Thu May 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Lovebird wrote:http://foodmed.net/2018/05/mikhaila-peterson-poster-girl-carnivore/

Some times one simply has no other choice...

Interesting. I knew Jordan Peterson's daughter had RA and resolved most of her issues through diet, but didn't know she was a full-on carnivore.

Perhaps the paleo autoimmune protocol isn't strict enough? It's probably better to go super-minimalist (i.e. meat and water) to begin with. From Mikhaila's list of foods that screw with her, she notes that the first 12 items "really bothered [her]," and it includes rather surprising items like citrus fruits and green cabbage. Definitely not foods that are eliminated from any common AIP list I know of.

http://mikhailapeterson.com/2018/04/24/worst-offenders-to-safest-foods-and-why-vegans-get-better/
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks for the link, Nightly Orange. Know the website, just not these last entries. Smile

Citrus fruits are out on most elimination diets (along with gluten/dairy/soy/eggs/corn/pork/beef/chicken/beans/lentils/coffee/nuts/nightshades) but indeed not on the AIP list of foods to avoid. I do think there is value is 30 days only eating what is safe, but the issue is that those foods are not the same for everyone (some react to for example beef/pork/chicken) and too much restriction makes it hard (especially coming from SAD) to follow, so paleo/primal/AIP is at least a step in the right direction. I'm glad she figured out what works for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Fri May 04, 2018 8:20 am

Looking at your list LB, I guess all that’s left is fish/seafood and many have issues with shellfish. Could not be a carnivore on that list.

I guess that’s a good reason we are all very different and need to avoid different things.

You are correct that some of her issues definitely are not avoided on typical AIP, which is pretty strict itself.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 am

Narrowminded wrote:Looking at your list LB, I guess all that’s left is fish/seafood and many have issues with shellfish. Could not be a carnivore on that list.

No? What about game? Lamb? Goat? Turkey? Rabbit? Duck?  Smile Granted it would be more difficult than with beef, but not impossible. And I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now, which are simply not as common as beef/pork/chicken. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Fri May 04, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm all about the marine mammal diet. Whales and seals, baby. Human beings came from the sea, and we should eat from the sea. A sea otter steak is more ancestral than a ribeye.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next