Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diet and CVD

+9
Acroyali
Paysan
breadsauce
sharperhawk
OnTheBayou
Ellito
Meant2Move
Rig D
Rocky07
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Diet and CVD - Page 2 Empty Re: Diet and CVD

Post by Rig D Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:12 am

+1 to Lovebird's response on banning.
FWIW, as a youngster I had a wonderful Boxer, beautiful, smart, friendly. As a pup he had distemper and managed to survive with no aftereffects. He lived to about 13, died of cancer so he fit into Acroyalis pattern.

The big C is a worry for me for the same reasons. I lost both my parents to cancer, both in their mid 70's. I've lost several other relatives (aunts/uncles/cousins) to it also. So if there is a genetic trend, I'm in line. but I'm already older than most of them who died from it so maybe I will get by without a serious internal version. I currently have a skin cancer that will be taken off in mid April. It will be my third skin cancer removal.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:17 am

OTB, thanks for the link to the Weston A Price article on cholesterol. It is a good summary of what I thought I already knew.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:10 am

This article by Chris Masterjohn may be of interest:

• Genes, LDL-Cholesterol Levels, and the Central Role of LDL Receptor Activity In Heart Disease

He makes a case that some LDL itself is atherogenic. People with defects in their LDL receptor genes often die of heart attacks as children. People with a gene that increases LDL receptor activity have a much lower rate of heart disease. High LDL cholesterol sometimes indicates poor clearance of old LDL, but not always. Cholesterol skeptics throw the baby (oxidized/modified LDL particles) out with the bath water (LDL-C as an imperfect measure of mod-LDL).

Elsewhere, Masterjohn touches on the role of the thyroid in regulating the LDL receptor. Hypothyroidism reduces LDL receptor activity. So it's not a case of thyroid vs. LDL, but rather LDL as the (or at least one) mechanism through which hypothyroidism can increase CVD.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 am

Thank you, John, for your opinion. OTOH, although I avoid statins due to their inherent flaws, I believe in supplementation to help where lifestyle isn't sufficient to correct what is basically a flawed foundation. I have bet my life on it. I am also aware that, in particular, LDL cholesterol performs the very useful function of slapping bandaids over cracks in the arterial walls. (Another reason to resist statins!Wink )
As GB Shaw once mourned, "Too bad youth is wasted on the young." It takes till the damage is done before most of us become aware of our limitations and begin research, too little and often, too late. We simply have to do the best with what we've got, no matter how little. Smile

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Going back to Rigs issue with flushing, I wanted to share my experience.

I have used niacin in the past, did get the flushing, however it never lasted as long as Rigs, maybe 30 min. Considering that I thought I should start taking it again, I went with OTB’s suggestion of the slow release.

I took it last evening, no flushing. Took it with breakfast around 8:30-9. Seemed fine. Eating a BAS for lunch about 1:30 and wham, flushing more than ever. Started with my head and worked it’s way down my entire body. Lasted about and hour or so and I have been fine since and only slight itching.

DD and I were cracking up because she said it wasn’t slow release, it was delayed release. So we will see what happens as I move forward. Just thought it strange that several hours later I’d get such a reaction.

Wanted to share my experience Incase someone else would have similar.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 am

Try taking it on an empty stomach. You'll get a reaction within minutes, not hours. Twisted Evil

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Paysan, it’s slow release, you’re not supposed to get a reaction, unlike the regular where it is expected. Since that one happening, I’ve only had a slight one. All is good taking it 2x a day
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:58 am

Hi, folks! Back in my town of Sarasota with Kirsten for vacation. As I did, she loves it, blown away with the beauty. Visited the old home site, On The (Whitaker) Bayou, giant FEMA home being erected, my home having been scraped off. Having a great time, not much time for internet catch up. But a few moments here.

I'm now doing (Time release) niacin 500 mg. 2X day. Flushing varies, a small bit to none. Allegedly, people's flushing diminishes with time and exposure.

My over-a-decade-rosacea is hugely diminished. I would call it at least as good as when I was doing topical Benzocline and 50mg doxycycline daily.

I'm going to pay for some labs after we return to TX, it will be interesting to see how my lipids are. My last panel was 14 months ago, better than excellent, so it won't exactly be an A/B no niacin/niacin comparison.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 pm

So glad she shared your love of the beauty in your home town. Pity about your house, time always moves on.

Great news on the rosacea.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2