Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flax seeds in vinegar or brine ?

3 posters

Go down

Flax seeds in vinegar or brine ? Empty Flax seeds in vinegar or brine ?

Post by srinath_69 Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 am

I eat tons of flax nearly everyday.
I typically eat them whole by taking 1 at a time and chewing it up nicely.
But yesterday I didn't eat cos I forgot, and when I saw it just before going to bed, I threw it with some pepperoncini brine.
It soaked up and fluffed and softened up a bit.
Now does that make it easier to break open by stomach acids ? Acid does soften its hull a bit.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Flax seeds in vinegar or brine ? Empty Re: Flax seeds in vinegar or brine ?

Post by Paysan Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm

W/o any info to the contrary, I suggest that anything that scarifies or softens those hard little seed coats can only be beneficial. Likely your chewing one at a time produces the same effect.  Since ground flax seed (I use a coffee grinder) loses its freshness and potency in short order, you likely get more benefits from your teensy seeds. Smile

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I should also keep em in the freezer. Also its excellent for using up many many hours while eating constantly while getting nothing but omega 3 and tiny bit of protein.
Then in a few yrs I'll have a Jaw like Jaws (of old Bond movies).

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:11 am

srinath_69 wrote:I eat tons of flax nearly everyday.

You do like to exaggerate quite a bit, don't you... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Flax seeds in vinegar or brine ? Empty Not exactly

Post by srinath_69 Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:30 am

Lovebird wrote:
srinath_69 wrote:I eat tons of flax nearly everyday.

You do like to exaggerate quite a bit, don't you... Rolling Eyes

I ate 2 oz a day for the last 4 or 5 days.
2 oz of flax eaten 1 at a time takes hours, and will destroy your teeth, jaws and tongue as well as decimate a small forest in toothpicks (yea exaggerating)
You should try it - in fact try it with 1/2 an oz - I'll bet it turns into a missed dinner, and repeat 1/2 oz for lunch and you have a fasted day.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:52 am

No thanks. Since when does 'tons' equal 2 oz?

Nevermind. Eating 2 oz of flax seeds is far more than any advice given elsewhere which is more in the line of 2 tablespoons max.

You really should give the Primal Blueprint a try for a change. Cool

Check your success thread if you haven't so far.

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:00 am

2oz of raw whole flax seeds is a ton. 2oz of peanuts isn't, 2 oz almonds isn't ... try with flax and you'll know. Its an all day endeavor.
I have been eating 2 oz flax, but that's all I eat. In fact yesterday was extremely good, I had 3 teas with HWC, just about 1 drink spread across 4-5 hrs cos I was visiting someone who was a brewer and had to taste his creations and 1 oz flax. That's all I ate, felt awesome.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Srinath, you are expecting instant results (gratification) from day to day. Our bodies don't work that way. Unlike a zippy little motor boat, we are more like the Titanic in switching gears and changing directions. It's for our benefit, or else people would be dropping like flies from every fluctuation that occurs naturally in the course of a day. We'd all be hovering just over instant disaster.
It's good you felt awesome on reduced alcohol and continually chewing flax seeds, but that is not what I consider a recipe for improving health. Razz

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Thank you for being a(nother) voice of reason Paysan.

FWIW I've moved this thread from Nutrition to Loose Ends for a number of reasons, as this has got nothing to do with Primal, contains dangerous advice and https://www.marksdailyapple.com/flax-prostate-cancer-risk/

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks lady with 2 swords your highness.
1 drink over 4 hrs and 1 oz of flax seeds over 8 hrs may not be your "recipe for improving health" paysan, but I'm sure of all the terrible things that were sitting in front of me yesterday, it was the least bad option.
And today I got invited to an instant pit fire and BBQ from someone who owns pigs, goats and several geese and several animeals I cant even name - pretty sure some of em are dinosaurs or dragons and who knows what is being cooked ...
Well, yesterday's lovely record has died a sad and lonely death after being only on this earth for 30 hrs.
As they say - tomorrow we'll find another day.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Fill up on the roast dragons and BBQ dinosaurs, Srinath. It's all part of paleo.
We all face a series of choices for meals, some better than others. Planning ahead makes problematic (and foreseeable) meals less of a bad choice. Thinking ahead to your main meals also requires having those ingredients on hand. That requires shopping and perhaps budgeting. It's all connected, just like our internal environment. Don't start planning when the dinner plates are on the table. Start at breakfast by taking frozen meats out of freezer to thaw(I can't shop for fresh very often) and having an idea of what veggies to  serve. If you are booted out of the kitchen, make sure the outdoors BBQ is ready for service.
Lunch today is a Thai stirfry, as was yesterday's lunch. Yesterday's was  steak and veggies, easy on sauces. Today's is chicken and veggies, from a pre-cooked and brined chicken breast. Time to get more meat out and plan tomorrow's meals.
PS. Can you save me a bit of BBQ dino? I like all the others,too. Thanks.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 am

If you want to keep lowering your testosterone you could also soak your flaxseeds in pineapple juice. However unless you've already got prostate issues you may want to be more careful with that.

Perhaps you can sprout them too.

And just maybe you'd better keep a close eye on your omega 6 : 3 balance. AFAIK male bodies don't convert the ALA in flax to omega 3 as good as female's do. Eat fatty coldwater fish. Or cod liver.

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 am

I was watching the flax consumption closely and oddly my thighs and butt have shrunk faster than my belly. So, estrogen isn't my immediate issue.
I remember when I got fatter through my life the jeans that used to fit started to get tight in the thigh first, I'd cut em and use em as shorts for a year or 2. Anyway I was still eating 1 serving of flax, except it was ground flax. So it went fast. Raw whole seeds 1 at a time - even 7gm - 1/4th of the recomended serving take hours to eat. Its a great way to kill an evening while fasting.
I do eat cold water fish, with Mackerel and salmon being the top as well as herring and anchovy. Love those.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down