Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steak preparations!

+4
ONTARIO
perennialpam
RedComet
Acroyali
8 posters

Go down

Steak preparations! Empty Steak preparations!

Post by Acroyali Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:18 pm

We routinely buy meat in bulk.  We got a ton of steaks; rib eye, T bone, as well as roasts.  We rarely eat steaks but decided why the hell not and decided to treat ourselves.

What are your favorite prep methods, and do you use marinades (and if so, please share recipes!)  We pan seared last night but I'd like some tried and true slow(er) cooking methods if any.

Thanks everyone =) Laughing

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Steak preparations! Empty Re: Steak preparations!

Post by RedComet Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:53 pm

Bulk steak sounds like a dream!

Admittedly, I'm not very daring with my steak. Pan-seared in butter or ghee, with a liberal amount of salt and pepper on both sides. I adore them topped with some caramelized garlic and onions, too.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:43 pm

RedComet wrote:Bulk steak sounds like a dream!

Admittedly, I'm not very daring with my steak. Pan-seared in butter or ghee, with a liberal amount of salt and pepper on both sides. I adore them topped with some caramelized garlic and onions, too.

We pan seared in Primal Kitchens Avocado oil (if no one has partaken in this, do yourself a favor; it's amazing!) We finished them in the oven for a few minutes, really good!!
Admittedly I love to cook but am not creative in that I'm afraid of ruining a good piece of meat, so it's pretty conservative. I will definitely check out the garlic and/or onion topper. What's you're preference for carmelizing?
Ask me 6 months ago on my stance on mushrooms and I would have made an "are you f'ing joking" stank face, but I've developed a taste for them. I wondered about drizzling in a mushroom/shallot sauce, but I've no idea how to make that.
Part of me is bummed I suck at sauces and garnishes but part of me is really hoping to learn.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by RedComet Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:27 pm

I shouldn't have said "caramelized", I meant "sauteed". I usually just saute them in the juices/butter until very soft. Proper caramelization can take a while, so I just cook them down a bit. Still very tasty, though!

I'm not a great cook, but I love learning new techniques. I've been watching loads of cooking videos on YouTube in my free time, and Gordon Ramsay's steak videos are great. He doesn't always use paleo ingredients, so look out for that, but he has some ideas for steak preparation and sides that might be worth looking into. I can't post any links at the moment, but if you search on Youtube for "Gordon Ramsay Steak" you'll find some great videos.

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 am

A friend at work gave me a pamphlet on prepping meat for cooking. Slather it with salt prior to cooking on both sides. That day is okay but it was suggested even days in advance. Then, at the meal, do not salt again. Have had some tender steaks and good meats since applying this method.

This was a pamphlet from Cook's magazine I believe.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am

Depending on the cut of steaks we will often sous vide them and then give them a quick one-side and then the other on the grill before we eat. The sous vide is a great culinary technique that cooks meat to perfection. We use ours a lot - for a lot of different foods.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel_MD Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Here's my steak preparation method:
- Allow steaks to assume room temp if refrigerated
- Preheat oven to 450 F with cast iron skillet inside
- Pat steaks dry, spread ghee on both sides and apply a liberal coating of coarse salt
- Remove hot skillet and put on burner set to 'high," wait about 30 seconds for heat to stabilize
- Sear the steak on one side for two minutes, then flip and do the other side for two minutes
- Remove the skillet from burner and place in 450 oven to continue cooking
- Two minutes in oven ~ medium-rare, depending on thickness. Approximately four minutes for medium.
- Remove from oven, serve on hot plate with a pat of butter and freshly ground pepper

Joel_MD

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:31 pm

I like the "reverse sear" method. Season the steak with salt and pepper, cook in a low oven (250F) until about 10F below final temperature you want, then quickly sear in a hot skillet or on the grill.

Advantages are even temp through the steak, and more tender steak. Works best with thick steaks.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm

I find the reverse sear is really good when you have guests, or having a dinner party - just seems easier.

I love steak. Smile
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 pm

AMAZING ideas....thank you everyone!!!!!!! And thanks Red Comet for the clarification on the carmelizing!

As long as we're on the subject, what about pork chops? We found some buried in the freezer and are hoping they're not completely freezer burnt. I don't even really like pork as a whole but am willing to try it again (especially with different methods of cooking.)

Keep 'em coming if you can!

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by AngryBlonde Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Mr AngryBlonde grills our steaks between rare/medium rare.  He lightly seasons with salt and pepper.  No condiments.  Ever.  When he is out of town and I am forced to make my own steak I pan sear in butter stove top. Grilling is his thing not mine.  Earlier this week I sauteed a bunch of mushrooms in butter/olive oil to accompany my steak which was drowned in the mushroom juices. It was all very delicious.

Regarding pork chops ... we grill to about 140F.  No condiments.  Light seasoning.  We get them from a butcher who sources locally and everything is grass fed or pasture raised so the quality is optimum.

AngryBlonde

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 pm

We tried out a reverse sear last night--Awesome. And easy!! And that sizzle sound when you drop 'em in a hot skillet is so oddly satisfying =D
The pork WAS freezer burnt =/ But edible. I may see about seasonings and using them in a recipe or something; I think they'd be better if mixed with other stuff vs. a slab on a plate.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down