Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fasting for the day

5 posters

Go down

Fasting for the day Empty Fasting for the day

Post by Starkanda Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 pm

One thing I want to start committing to is a fast a few times a year, and do them at the start of the seasons, just kind of a gut reset (got the idea from Dr. Perlmutter's book Brain Maker if that helps)/time for thoughtfulness, etc. Winter Solstice is coming, and I am planning a water/tea/broth fast for the day. Does anyone have any experience to share, or advice for me to prepare, best choices to break the fast, etc. I did attempt a full day fast once, and was ravenous by the afternoon and ate a pear. But I was eating SAD at the time and didn't include anything besides water. I am confident that this go around will be better, but I'd still like to prepare. Thoughts?
Starkanda
Starkanda

Back to top Go down

Fasting for the day Empty Re: Fasting for the day

Post by RedComet Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 am

Last edited by RedComet on Thu May 19, 2022 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Post by Starkanda Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks! I'll try the late breakfast in the lead up, bah to doctors, it's just one day! ;-)
Yeah, I think I need to be less than "pure" this go around, I figure at least getting some salt is a good idea. I guess some people do fruit or veggie, but to me that's not a fast!! LOL
So probably that week leading up to it, the late breakfast.
A side note:I play hockey friday nights, thank goodness we aren't scheduled for a game that day!!
Starkanda
Starkanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 pm

I've had success with a normal day of eating with dinner by 6pm and then fasting for 48 hours (no food the next day or the following day until dinner). I do allow myself a cup of coffee with my brain oil, collagen, and about 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk both days. Club soda with a couple of shakes of bitters helps curb any cravings to eat.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:40 am

I started good pure fasting 2016 October. I was eating once a day and one fine day I forgot to eat, remembered @11pm but said I'll eat tomorow, then came some errands and chores, and didn't get to it till past 3 and decided I'll delay it till 6 and have a 48hr fast. Then I decided 2 was fine, lets try 3, then 5, then 8, then while trying 13 days I cramped bad on day 6 and caved. Then did 9, 9, and 20. I was low carb for months before starting the 24 hr while my weight was stubbonly stuck @ 219. The 24hr fasts produced the start of the slide, all the way to 148. 70lb gone in 90 days.

I think a very low carb diet-> IF-> longer fast is the logical progression.
Medium/Long fasts are fun, especially if you're lazy and not a good cook, and don't enjoy it and don't have any one who depends on you for food.
Past day 4 you don't even think about food.
I have a badly chipped and disintegrating molar crown. I am uninsured through EOY. So I am fasting to keep that guy from falling apart. Thank fully, I am in the 170 range, 20 days wont hurt too much if I only ate 4-5 times in that interval.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Not much to do but try it out yourself and slowly ease into it. I practiced intermittent fasting for a while, then ketogenic, then a couple of 24 to 108 hour fasts. Many people find (including myself) that the first few days are the most unpleasant in terms of feeling hungry and low-energy, but once you get past that, it's surprisingly easy. It certainly doesn't get more and more difficult as you go on.

As for breaking the fast, personally I do well with small amounts of meat, but most fasting institutions and doctor-supervised fasts are broken with fruit juice or a hot vegetable broth. Bone broth is pretty popular too, paleo-wise.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 pm

The bone broth issue I have is a long running one. I eat fat during the fast. Sometimes I eat broth too. What do I break it with ?
My recent fasts are too short for me to worry about that really, so its a rhetorical question.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Starkanda Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for all your input! Wow, I'll be honest, I'm literally afraid to try multi-day fasts, despite hearing legendary things about them. I also DO cook for others. I suppose I could just not eat, but not sure the reaction I'd get. I'm going to see how the single day one goes, which I guess is 36 hours if you go from pre-fast dinner to post-fast "break-fast" Cool
Starkanda
Starkanda

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 pm

I find being around food is the hardest on days 2 and 3 of a multi dayer. I make it to 4 complete days, and I can go a month. I'll make food and not even want to taste it. I also will look at pics of buffets and what not and not care. But usually all the unplanned fast breaks are in the first 3 days.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down