Fasting for the day

Go down

Fasting for the day

Post by Starkanda on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 pm

One thing I want to start committing to is a fast a few times a year, and do them at the start of the seasons, just kind of a gut reset (got the idea from Dr. Perlmutter's book Brain Maker if that helps)/time for thoughtfulness, etc. Winter Solstice is coming, and I am planning a water/tea/broth fast for the day. Does anyone have any experience to share, or advice for me to prepare, best choices to break the fast, etc. I did attempt a full day fast once, and was ravenous by the afternoon and ate a pear. But I was eating SAD at the time and didn't include anything besides water. I am confident that this go around will be better, but I'd still like to prepare. Thoughts?

Starkanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fasting for the day

Post by RedComet on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:12 am

I'll start by saying I'm not a doctor and I'm not qualified to give medical advice. What follows is simply based on my own personal experiences and you shouldn't try it at home without first consulting your doctor.

In my opinion the best thing you can do to prepare for a 24-hour fast is to practice intermittent fasting in the days leading up to it. Start by going about 12 hours between meals. For most people, that's eating a late breakfast. Then up it to sixteen hours, which is pretty much like skipping breakfast altogether. Work yourself up another few hours and you're practically there. It will take discipline, but if you can avoid temptations and get your system primed with shorter fasts beforehand, you should be able to handle it.

Purists will suggest you only drink water. That's fine. In my book, drinking black coffee or unsweetened tea in moderation is acceptable, and may even boost the health benefits of the fast.

I once fasted for 8 days. I didn't stay hydrated enough and ran into some issues by the end, but fasting--when used judiciously--can be a great tool for what you describe. Towards the end of a fast, in those moments when the gnawing hunger subsides, you really do attain a clarity of mind you can't find elsewhere.
RedComet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Starkanda on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks! I'll try the late breakfast in the lead up, bah to doctors, it's just one day! ;-)
Yeah, I think I need to be less than "pure" this go around, I figure at least getting some salt is a good idea. I guess some people do fruit or veggie, but to me that's not a fast!! LOL
So probably that week leading up to it, the late breakfast.
A side note:I play hockey friday nights, thank goodness we aren't scheduled for a game that day!!

Starkanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:11 pm

I've had success with a normal day of eating with dinner by 6pm and then fasting for 48 hours (no food the next day or the following day until dinner). I do allow myself a cup of coffee with my brain oil, collagen, and about 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk both days. Club soda with a couple of shakes of bitters helps curb any cravings to eat.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:40 am

I started good pure fasting 2016 October. I was eating once a day and one fine day I forgot to eat, remembered @11pm but said I'll eat tomorow, then came some errands and chores, and didn't get to it till past 3 and decided I'll delay it till 6 and have a 48hr fast. Then I decided 2 was fine, lets try 3, then 5, then 8, then while trying 13 days I cramped bad on day 6 and caved. Then did 9, 9, and 20. I was low carb for months before starting the 24 hr while my weight was stubbonly stuck @ 219. The 24hr fasts produced the start of the slide, all the way to 148. 70lb gone in 90 days.

I think a very low carb diet-> IF-> longer fast is the logical progression.
Medium/Long fasts are fun, especially if you're lazy and not a good cook, and don't enjoy it and don't have any one who depends on you for food.
Past day 4 you don't even think about food.
I have a badly chipped and disintegrating molar crown. I am uninsured through EOY. So I am fasting to keep that guy from falling apart. Thank fully, I am in the 170 range, 20 days wont hurt too much if I only ate 4-5 times in that interval.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:26 pm

Not much to do but try it out yourself and slowly ease into it. I practiced intermittent fasting for a while, then ketogenic, then a couple of 24 to 108 hour fasts. Many people find (including myself) that the first few days are the most unpleasant in terms of feeling hungry and low-energy, but once you get past that, it's surprisingly easy. It certainly doesn't get more and more difficult as you go on.

As for breaking the fast, personally I do well with small amounts of meat, but most fasting institutions and doctor-supervised fasts are broken with fruit juice or a hot vegetable broth. Bone broth is pretty popular too, paleo-wise.
Nightly Orange

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 pm

The bone broth issue I have is a long running one. I eat fat during the fast. Sometimes I eat broth too. What do I break it with ?
My recent fasts are too short for me to worry about that really, so its a rhetorical question.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Starkanda on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks for all your input! Wow, I'll be honest, I'm literally afraid to try multi-day fasts, despite hearing legendary things about them. I also DO cook for others. I suppose I could just not eat, but not sure the reaction I'd get. I'm going to see how the single day one goes, which I guess is 36 hours if you go from pre-fast dinner to post-fast "break-fast" Cool

Starkanda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:40 pm

I find being around food is the hardest on days 2 and 3 of a multi dayer. I make it to 4 complete days, and I can go a month. I'll make food and not even want to taste it. I also will look at pics of buffets and what not and not care. But usually all the unplanned fast breaks are in the first 3 days.

srinath_69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum