Reply with Quote

Go down

Reply with Quote

Post by Rocky07 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:36 pm

How do I do this? All I see is a straight Reply button. Thanks.

Rocky07

Posts : 37
Join date : 2017-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:53 pm

At the top right hand side of the reply you want to quote there should be a grey button with a yellow plus sign that says, "Quote".

Do you see that?

_________________
"Transformation is just a fancy word for the choices you make on a daily basis."
- Nancy Levin
avatar
ONTARIO

Posts : 849
Join date : 2017-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Rocky07 wrote:How do I do this? All I see is a straight Reply button. Thanks.

12/7/17 Just noticed there is a quote icon on the toolbars that does what I suggested below.It's in the third section, the little "word bubble" like you see in cartoons. Click it, then do your copy/paste.

If you only want to quote some of the post, not the whole thing, you can do the following: (I've used {} instead of the actual [] characters. Actually using the [] symbols does the quote when not intended.)
1. cut n paste the text you wish into the reply window.
2. Go to the beginning and open the quote with {quote} or  {quote= "username"} for user attribution
3. Go to the end of the quote and end your quote with "{/quote}


Last edited by Rig D on Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
avatar
Rig D

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2017-11-27
Location : Dayton OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rocky07 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Ontario, no I do not see the Quote button on my iPad. That is why I asked about it. I will check my desktop. Maybe it is an Apple issue.

Rocky07

Posts : 37
Join date : 2017-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Rocky07 wrote:Ontario, no I do not see the Quote button on my iPad. That is why I asked about it. I will check my desktop. Maybe it is an Apple issue.

Ah, yes, there is another forum member that just noticed she had issues using her iPad. Can you try a different browser.

Also, RigD gave you info on how to manually do quotes. It's good info.

_________________
"Transformation is just a fancy word for the choices you make on a daily basis."
- Nancy Levin
avatar
ONTARIO

Posts : 849
Join date : 2017-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:39 pm

You need to download the web or app version of the forum platform. Drop down menu on right and magically you will see all sorts of buttons.
avatar
Pedidoc

Posts : 2555
Join date : 2017-11-30
Age : 57

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rocky07 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Pedidoc wrote:You need to download the web or app version of the forum platform. Drop down menu on right and magically you will see all sorts of buttons.

That fixed it, thx!

Rocky07

Posts : 37
Join date : 2017-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Annieh on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 pm

What about quoting more than one reply in a post. Can we do that?
avatar
Annieh

Posts : 729
Join date : 2017-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:01 am

Rig D wrote:
If you only want to quote some of the post, not the whole thing, you can do the following:

I do it the opposite way. Click quote, then delete out the parts that I don't want to include.
avatar
Annieh

Posts : 729
Join date : 2017-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Lovebird on Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:28 am

On the multi quote thing: at MDA I always opened several tabs to do that. There is a 'citation multiple' button here, but haven't played around with it yet.

When you right click on the 'quote' button you can 'open in a new tab' which gives you the option to easily copy/paste it into your reply.

Hope that helps!
avatar
Lovebird

Posts : 1131
Join date : 2017-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 am



Nope, not really.


Last edited by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Annieh

Posts : 729
Join date : 2017-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Lovebird on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:50 am

Annieh wrote:
Lovebird wrote:
On the multi quote thing: at MDA I always opened several tabs to do that. There is a 'citation multiple' button here, but haven't played around with it yet.

When you right click on the 'quote' button you can 'open in a new tab' which gives you the option to easily copy/paste it into your reply.

Hope that helps!

Nope, not really.

No? pirat Before you start your reply, you can open the required quotes in a new tab as described above. All of them alongside each other (so multiple tabs open at once). Then you click reply, copy/paste your quotes into that reply, add your own words to it and hit Send. Or Preview. Whichever you prefer.
avatar
Lovebird

Posts : 1131
Join date : 2017-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:10 am



Ta.  I'll try that.


Last edited by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Annieh

Posts : 729
Join date : 2017-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rig D on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:50 am

Multiple quotes -- don't make it hard.
In the quick reply window, look in the third section of formatting tools above the text area, the first icon there (looks like a cartoon speech bubble) will allow you to do an individual quote. It will give you the chance to indicate the name of who you are quoting, you don't need to enter a name, then click insert. It will insert a quote/endquote block in your text area, you just need to copy & paste your desired quote between them.
You can do this as many times as you want.
And you can click the Preview button to see what it all will look like when posted. Doesn't actually update until you click send.
avatar
Rig D

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2017-11-27
Location : Dayton OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:04 pm


Thanks RigD, I'll try this next time and see what seems easier.  It's one thing on the other forum which I did like using.


Last edited by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Annieh

Posts : 729
Join date : 2017-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by sharperhawk on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Just because something can be done doesn't make it a good idea. I find several nested quotes annoying. If I forget the context, I can scroll back and read the past posts. My advice is to quote only the latest post from another person, and edit that down to what is relevant to your reply.
avatar
sharperhawk

Posts : 119
Join date : 2017-11-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rig D on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:44 pm

+1.
Big difference between nested quotes and multiple quotes. I can see quoting multiple things in a post, but embedding/nesting them is highly distracting and annoying.
avatar
Rig D

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2017-11-27
Location : Dayton OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Annieh on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm sorry about the nesting, I didn't mean to. I agree, it's very annoying.
avatar
Annieh

Posts : 729
Join date : 2017-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:47 am

Rig D wrote:Multiple quotes -- don't make it hard.
In the quick reply window, look in the third section of formatting tools above the text area, the first icon there (looks like a cartoon speech bubble) will allow you to do an individual quote. It will give you the chance to indicate the name of who you are quoting, you don't need to enter a name, then click insert. It will insert a quote/endquote block in your text area, you just need to copy & paste your desired quote between them.
You can do this as many times as you want.
And you can click the Preview button to see what it all will look like when posted. Doesn't actually update until you click send.

I had not found time/reason to play around with it. Hence the MDA solution. Having done that for so long made it somewhat of a habit. Rolling Eyes So nice to not have to work around the way it's supposed to work.

Your option doesn't work in the fast reply mode. Funny thing is it DOES show in the ADD REPLY function, once clicked, so everything's still there. Smile
avatar
Lovebird

Posts : 1131
Join date : 2017-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:02 am

LB wrote:Your option doesn't work in the fast reply mode. Funny thing is it DOES show in the ADD REPLY function, once clicked, so everything's still there.

Hmm, it shows and works in my "Quick Reply" area. Is that what you mean by "fast reply"? Do you not see the buttons at the top of the QR area?  In the Hmm arena, I don't see a an "add reply" where is it? Found it.


Last edited by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found add reply)
avatar
Rig D

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2017-11-27
Location : Dayton OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Lovebird on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:22 am

Rig D wrote:
LB wrote:Your option doesn't work in the fast reply mode. Funny thing is it DOES show in the ADD REPLY function, once clicked, so everything's still there.

Hmm, it shows and works in my "Quick Reply" area. Is that what you mean by "fast reply"? Do you not see the buttons at the top of the QR area?  In the Hmm arena, I don't see a an "add reply" where is it? Found it.

Yeah, you're probably right. It was before my first coffee when I replied...

Quick - Fast... does it matter? LOL


A man walks into a wine bar, sits down at a table and studies the menu.

A couple of minutes later he looks up to see a beautiful waitress standing in front of him. She is so gorgeous that he gasps with pure lust.

“What would you like?” she asks.

“A glass of claret and a quickie please.” he replies, drooling at the mouth. The waitress is so disgusted she storms off but returns a few minutes later when she has calmed down.

Again she asks “What would you like?”

He smiles and says again, “A glass of claret and a quickie please.”

“That’s it.” she yells, gives him a sharp slap across the face and stomps off.

The man sits there dumbstruck when suddenly from the next table a fellow customer leans over and whispers “I think it’s pronounced ‘quiche’.”
avatar
Lovebird

Posts : 1131
Join date : 2017-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 am

Never do anything significant before your first cup of coffee.
The man sits there dumbstruck when suddenly from the next table a fellow customer leans over and whispers “I think it’s pronounced ‘quiche’.”

Smile Not much help spelling it out. I still think quiche should be pronounced "kwich" as opposed to "keesh". Them thar furriners and their funny non-English pronunciations! Or as my HS English teacher would say: You have your em-PHAS-is on the wrong sy-LLAB-le.
avatar
Rig D

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2017-11-27
Location : Dayton OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Rig D on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:41 am

On using the quote button (cartoon speech bubble in 3rd section of editing icons immediately above quick reply text area)

You can also copy in the text you want to quote first, then highlight it and use the button. Still can enter "author". When you click send it will put your text within the quote blocks.
avatar
Rig D

Posts : 1048
Join date : 2017-11-27
Location : Dayton OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reply with Quote

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum