Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green Goddess Dressing

2 posters

Go down

Green Goddess Dressing Empty Green Goddess Dressing

Post by Lovebird Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:37 am

Sooo... I shared this link https://optimisingnutrition.com/2019/03/30/what-does-nutrient-density-look-like/ in my journal because I really like the inspiration the pictures provide.  Smile

Then:

ShelleyM wrote:I loved the happy and sad faces on the eggs in the fifth picture down. What sauce do you suppose that is in the avocados?

Green Goddess Dressing Greend11

First thought: Green Goddess Dressing! The one made with avocado ofcourse, not the mayo based original (mayonnaise, sour cream, chervil, chives, anchovy, tarragon, lemon juice, and pepper).

Like this one for example: https://www.savorylotus.com/creamy-green-goddess-dressing/

Ingredients

1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
   1/4 cup tahini
   1/3 cup olive oil
   1/3 cup water
   2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
   2 tsp lemon juice
   1/2 tsp salt
   1/2 to 1 clove garlic
   1 tsp toasted sesame seeds  ** see note below
   1/2 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
   1 tbsp chives, minced

Instructions

Place everything except parsley and chives into blender and puree until creamy smooth.  Add parsley leaves and chives and process again until well incorporated.  Thin with extra water to desired consistency.  Taste and adjust for salt and lemon.
   Use immediately or store in air tight glass jar for up to a week.

Notes

* I use a toasted tahini for this dressing because it gives such a nice flavor.  Raw tahini will work as well but will be a bit more subtle.

** To toast your sesame seeds, simply roast seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until fragrant and beginning to brown. Be sure to shake pan regularly to keep seeds from burning.

Do any of you have other suggestions/recipes as to what it might be?

In case you're wondering: both non Primal eaters really liked the Green Goddess Dressing made by following above recipe (sans sesame seeds as I didn't have any) too. Then again, they're used to my cooking and experimenting after all these years... willing to try anything at least once. A really nice versatile addition to the repertoire in my view. Perhaps even better with a bit of hot sauce added.. feel free to omit the tahini and/or add sour cream or similar to make the recipe your own if you like, lots of different recipes online to choose from. The one in the picture is definitely without dairy (and likely tahini) though... Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Green Goddess Dressing Empty Re: Green Goddess Dressing

Post by Lovebird Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:37 am

Ofcourse it could also be a simple dressing... made with avocado oil or EVOO. Smile

Or a Salsa Verde or other green chile sauce. Very Happy

Green Goddess Dressing 00510

Ingredients

1 1/4 lb. tomatillos or green tomatoes
   1 white onion
   4 serrano chiles
   4 cloves garlic
   12 sprigs cilantro
   2 tbsp. cooking oil
   1 1/2 tsp. salt + to taste

Instructions

Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos and rinse to remove the sticky residue.
   Quarter the onion.
   Add all of the ingredients except the cilantro and salt to a large pot and just cover with water.
   Bring the water and ingredients to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
   Blend the cooked ingredients and the cilantro with the cooking water until smooth. (About 30 seconds)
   Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in the pot.
   Pour the blended salsa back into the pot with the hot cooking oil.
   Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
   Add the salt and adjust if necessary.

Notes

Preparation

Too runny? Simmer until it has reduced to the desired consistency.
   Too thick? Add water 2 tablespoons at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
   Too hot or acidic? Add only one of the following to reduce heat: 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 to 2 teaspoons agave syrup.
   Like it hot? You do not have to seed the serrano chiles. You can seed them if you want to reduce the heat of the salsa.

Substitutions

You can substitute jalapeño chiles for the serranos but the flavor won't be as bright but it will still be tasty.

Storage

The salsa will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days.
   This salsa freezes very well. Make a double batch so that you always have some on hand.

https://mexicanfoodjournal.com/salsa-verde/
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:57 am

Yummy! Maybe your pictures will make me hungry again. Smile They certainly cause me to want to cook.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down