Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggestions on how to prepare your greens

3 posters

Go down

Suggestions on how to prepare your greens Empty Suggestions on how to prepare your greens

Post by Lovebird Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:21 am

This topic came up in a journal, but this way more people can profit from the information shared:

Narrowminded wrote:Bok Choy is a lot like cabbage or Romain, kind of a mix, so raw would probably be good for that or lightly steamed.

Chard, kale, collard, mustard greens. I use any of those, but mostly Collard Greens in my morning hash. I slice them thinly and then had near the end of the hash making so they are lightly steamed kind of before adding my eggs on top. The other work great in salads. Also I will use collards to make a ‘bun” for a burger.

Parsnips look like white carrots. They are fantastic boiled and used like mashed potatoes and also roasted.

Kohlrabi - raw tastes like cabbage core. My Mom grew them in our garden one year. We mostly ate them raw but I they they could be cooked and mashed.

Radicchio is the red lettuce type leaf you will find in salad mixes. Rather a bitter type taste. I’d say raw but mixed with others.

Sugar snap peas are like peas with the pods still on. I generally steam those and add a little Kerry gold butter or CO

Watercress and Escarole again greens. You will find Escarole in wedding soup.

Never cooked a fennel bulb but it has a licorice type flavor.

Gourd I would think would include butternut squash because those are of the gourd family.

I’ve never cooked endive or chayote squash

Rutabaga is turnip. Those can be roasted or cooked and mashed. Sprouted radish seeds, are just that radish seed sprouted. So thing sprouts, they have bite like flavor just like a radish.

Never cooked beet greens, but I would think those could also be used raw or sautéed.

Hope that helps.

Vh67 wrote:Kohlrabi is amazing raw or roasted. I also use it in soup or chili. You can also eat the greens. I cook them like collards.

Fennel bulb is great in speghetti sauce, roasted or sautéed with onions and Italian sausage. I use it soups too. It can be thinly sliced and put in salad or coleslaw. Raw it is very sweet.

Bok choy is great in a stir fry. It cooks quickly and cooked, it is softer than some greens. It is milder than most greens.

Radicchio is a bitter salad green/lettuce that is usually red/purple but I have seen some that are green and red. I chop it thinly and mix it with other salad greens. It can also be grilled.

Mustard greens are a strong tasting green that are tasty cooked with a little bacon or ham. I always finish my greens with a little acid like lemon juice or vinegar. Also stronger greens add a nice bit to potato soups, especially a ham/sausage soup.

Escarole is a slightly bitter, curly salad green. Lyonnaise salad is a perfect way to eat it. It is salad with bacon with a lemony dressing and a fried egg on it.

Curly endive is similar to escarole. There is also Belgium endive which is a small head and slightly bitter. The leaves make a great vessel for appetizers. Sliced thinly it is great in a salad.

We treat beet greens and collard greens similarly by cooking them a little ham/bacon, salt pepper, garlic, onion and a little red pepper flakes until tender. E is from the south (sort of) and likes his greens cooked tender. And again, I finish them with lemon juice.

Chard is good cooked tender or lightly sautéed.

If you are eating a lot of greens, I would recommend blanching them first. Greens have oxalates, some more than others. Blanching them first reduces the amount in them. I think you had a kidney stone once, so you may be concerned with them. They also store longer or can be frozen after blanching.

Gourds are usually not as sweet as other hard shell squares. They are not my favorite so I have no cooking advice on them. My dad grew them one year. After the first meal of them, we dried the remaining ones and used them for crafts.

Slightly bitter greens and lettuces are supposed to improve your immune system and I always feel better after eating them.

Have fun trying all those new things!

Pedidoc wrote:Alfalfa Sprouts - stir fry or in a salad
Arugula - salad
Bamboo Shoots - stir fry
*Beet Greens - cook with an approved fat and seasonings
* Bok Choy stir fry or steamed
Carrots - baked, stir fry, raw, steamed
* Chard - stir fry
* Chayote Squash - slice and bake
* Collard Greens - cooked with an approved fat and seasonings
Cucumber
Dandelion Greens
Eggplant
* Endive - salad
* Escarole - salad
* Fennel Bulb - slice and add to another veg if you like licorice flavor
* Gourd - check online as to what it is but roasted would be the way I'd go
Green Beans - stir fry
* Kohlrabi - https://www.marthastewart.com/1033766/kohlrabi-recipes
* Kale - raw in a salad or cooked with an approved fat and seasonings
Lettuce
Mung Bean Sprouts
* Mustard Greens cooked with an approved fat and seasonings
Parsley
* Parsnip - can treat like a potato
Pepino Melon
Potato (small, organic)
* Radicchio - raw in a salad or grilled
Radish
* Rutabaga - makes a great stewed sauce with an approved sweetener
Snap Peas
Spirulina
*Sprouted Radish Seeds - I would treat like bean sprouts
Summer Squash
Tomato (organic)
Turnip
Water Chestnuts
* Watercress - salad
Zucchini Squash

Hope this helps.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on how to prepare your greens Empty Re: Suggestions on how to prepare your greens

Post by ONTARIO Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:43 am

Great suggestions!

I would add that herbs are not to be overlooked. We often use a good handful of fresh herbs like cilantro, basil, chives and arugula to salads as well as cooked dishes. We often made omelette or frittata and either toss those on top just before done cooking or cold when the dish.

Leeks are another great addition. You can slice them and cook them or eat raw. They can also be sliced lengthwise and stuffed and cooked.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Suggestions on how to prepare your greens Empty Re: Suggestions on how to prepare your greens

Post by ShelleyM Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:53 am

Oh my, what a beautiful post!!!!

I would like to add that I grill and roast bok choy, baby bok choy, leeks, and endive. I toss them in olive oil or bacon fat, minced fresh garlic (sometimes), and fresh ground black pepper. I finish them off with a splash of balsamic or a squeeze of lemon.

When I roast any veggie, I add balsamic towards the end of the cook time. It carmelizes in the last 10 minutes or so and is extra yummy!
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down