Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Standing Desks

5 posters

Go down

Standing Desks Empty Standing Desks

Post by Rig D Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:55 am

Standing desks are an option for getting you out of your desk chair where you may be spending way too much time. If you have thought about trying one, but don't know where to begin, this may give you some ideas on getting started.

I got interested in them several years back while on MDA and reading about them. The biggest drawback to using one is acquiring it. Commercially available ones are pretty pricey so I experimented with a number of options to get started. Some people just find suitable cardboard boxes and stack them on their desks, I found that a little too cumbersome, as I wanted to be able to move back and forth from sitting to standing with some ease.

I have found that I work best in 20 minute segments at the standing desk. Beyond 20 minutes, I find that my legs and back get "tight" so I use an automatically repeating timer set for 23 minutes -- 20 minutes at the PC, then a 3-5 minute break to walk around, do some stretches, etc. On some days, I'll also sub in some "sit" sessions.

So here is how I started, with a really cheap implementation that allowed me to try it out for suitability without a big investment.  It worked quite well for a lot of daily activity, but has no space for working with papers or for writing things down. Made from two stackable wire racks, the "mouse tray" is a stack of office trays I already had, with a clipboard on top for the mousepad.  Also note that you will need a detachable keyboard -- you want the top of the screen at eye level, and the keyboard at the level of your 90 degree bent elbows when sitting/standing.

Cheap standing desk
Standing Desks 20190117

When I wanted to sit, I'd remove the top rack, move the PC to the lower rack, and the mouse to desk level. The PC on the wire rack was a big plus, simply by getting the top of the screen to about eye level, this helps improve your sitting posture at the PC.  Note also my elegant chair, a large exercise ball.

Sitting desk
Standing Desks 20190118

After trying out this arrangement and finding it worked pretty well for my use, I came up with my current unit, using an old cabinet we were thinking about getting rid of. This works pretty well for me. I had to adjust the keyboard shelf height to make it "fit" me. This also has no space for paperwork/writing area. Also, when I use the tall stool to sit at the "desk" I don't have a knee hole so I'm a little far from the screen, and I use the tool box in the bottom of the unit as a footrest. Ultimately I plan to replace this with a wall shelf arrangement that will provide the needed paper/writing space and have knee room. I'm assessing how to configure this now and will probably get it done in the next few months, whenever I find my round tuit.

Current standing desk
Standing Desks 20190116

I'd be interested in seeing what others have done with using standing desks.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Standing Desks Empty Re: Standing Desks

Post by Narrowminded Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:51 am

Rig great photos.

Can’t share my box arrangement as the boxes are long gone. However, since we do metal manufacturing, my current set up was made at the shop. I’ll see if I can take a photo and get it to post correctly. However, I didn’t think enough and not a lot of place to write as there are other limitations I’m working with such as the hutch behind the monitor and placing it on top of the current desk.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:31 pm

This is an interesting topic and well worth thinking about. Thanks for your info Rig, about how and why you made each decision with the drawbacks etc.

Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:18 pm

I've been thinking about a standing desk (adjustable somehow) for my work office. This gives me some ideas.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:21 pm

We buy adjustable desks anytime we need new furniture in my organization. I've had one for several years.  Most days I adjust it a few times based on what I'm doing. 

When I first get to the office, I am reading email and setting priorities for the day. I stand while doing this.  I made it a sort of personal "rule" to stand while on the phone, although depending upon the caller sometimes I am listening but also working on something else (rude, I know!) and may not be standing. 

For work that requires concentration and focus, I almost always sit (I use a stool so must support my body anyway - I try and be very aware of posture!), but routine or mundane work such as invoicing I prefer to stand.  Also, often I find I am better at trying to find a creative solution to a problem when I am standing. It is as if standing up gives me a new view on things! 

As for my employees - I have 3 different areas of help desk/technical support employees, I see a mix of standing and sitting, and some who never stand. I like knowing they have the option but do not say much because it isn't really my business.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 am

I think you have a very good system worked out M2M. Thanks for sharing.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 am

^Agree. I like your approach on stand/sit depending on the nature of the work being performed.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum