Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primal Superbowl

+2
Rig D
NakedDrummer
6 posters

Go down

Primal Superbowl Empty Primal Superbowl

Post by NakedDrummer Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Greetings!  Long time visitor of the MDA forums, until it turned into a vegan carbo-lovers mess...
So thought I'd break the ice here with a interesting tidbit regarding Tom Brady's nutrition since the Superbowl is coming up next week.

Ok, so first off, his "TB12 Method" reeks of Overpriced Celebrity Diet realm.. but interestingly from what I've gathered from reading around it's pretty Primal friendly.

On the menu: grass-fed meats, wild caught fish, veggies, fruits (sparingly), olive oil, coconut oil for cooking, pink Himalayan salt, also does fruit smoothies and protein shakes.
Off the menu: no GMOs, no gluten containing grains/pasta/bread, no corn, no soy, no refined sugar, no canola/commercial cooking oils, no artificial sweeteners, no fruit juices..
More off the menu (non-Primal extension): no nightshades, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, mushrooms.

Disclaimer: I'm a huge Patriots fan, have been for decades since the Steve Grogan era Razz
but from the world of nutrition, this is a cool thing to have in the back of your pocket for nutrition discussions -->
The GOAT (ahem, stands for Greatest of All Time) NFL QB is 40 years old and is headed to his record shattering 8th Superbowl appearance and is basically Primal in his nutrition.  The gluten-free part is especially nice since we have to hear anyone who is gluten-free is a quack following a fad and just go eat your 11 servings of grains.

this link describes it pretty well, even though they start with a negative spin:
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/1/27/16932856/tom-brady-diet-book-body-chemistry

cheers!

NakedDrummer

Back to top Go down

Primal Superbowl Empty Re: Primal Superbowl

Post by Rig D Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

I would like to see if there other pro athletes who have adapted the TB12 approach. I haven't read of any who have climbed fully on board. It would be interesting to see if they would have similar success in extending their playing careers to the "advanced old age" that TB has done while maintaining their ability to perform. Whether it is his diet, his pliability routines, or just good fortune in being a freak of nature, Brady has certainly set the bar and doesn't look like anyone will soon surpass his mark. He looks just a whole bunch younger than George Blanda did, who also was still playing when he was 40 and slightly over, but Blanda definitely looked his age plus a few, and was relegated mainly to sub duties and place kicking, while Brady still looks and plays like a young dude.

Don't really much care who wins SB52, but I'll be cheering for the Eagles, just 'cause the Pats are like the Yankees, they need to have a few sub 500 years to regain balance, they've been on top way too long, and have been extremely fortunate in the last few years in winning games they probably should have lost.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by NakedDrummer Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:54 pm

pfffft Patriots are nothing like the Yankees! NFL has a salary cap and you can't just go around buying championships! Eagles? The only stadium with it's own jail cell? have fun with that fan base Razz

I doubt anyone is doing the "TB12" approach specifically, but I'd bet plenty are probably doing the Primal Endurance approach. Wish there was more info we could query out there on that..

It would be interesting to know the king of sports old age performance Gordie Howes approach.. He was 52 still playing in the NHL.

NakedDrummer

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:46 pm

I too, thru gritted teeth will be pulling for the Eagles and that is very tough for a Steelers gal, however, the Pats i just cannot tolerate.

I am happy the TB is eating well, and hopefully they might “prove” it was his diet that helped.

Let’s not forget Jaromir Jagr, I’d like to see his diet. He has also played NHL well into an “advanced age”.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Given Brady's and the Patriots' history, I assume the diet includes plenty of cheat meals.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Nakeddrummer, the Pats ARE like the Yankees in that they have dominated their sport for the last decade at least. Not talking about how, just the result. I'm a college football fan vs a pro fan, but I'm a true believer that every super winning team needs to have a few years of truly mediocre performance under their belts every so often just so their fans actually appreciate the good times. In college ball, 'Bama is due for this, probably will have to wait until Saban hangs it up. When Bear Bryant retired, they fell apart for a number of years. Same thing applies for other super programs like Oh.State, Michigan, Notre Dame, So Cal, Texas. So Cal is coming out of a period of doldrums, Texas has had a long period of ineptitude and may be emerging, you can bet their fans will appreciate their team getting to 10 wins a lot more than the 'Bama folks, who are insulted if they don't win at least 10.

I suspect if the Patriots went 50/50 next year, their fan base would be totally devastated, while the rest of the league would be quite pleased.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:57 am

From TB12, Tom Brady's avocado ice cream recipe:

He describes the dessert as a “modern interpretation of ice cream” that is “just as delicious but much healthier.”

Ingredients:

1 avocado (ripe and soft)

1/2 cup raw cashews

1/2 cup coconut meat (from young coconuts)

1 1/2 cups dates (pitted)

1 cup raw cacao powder

1 1/4 cups water

Directions:

1. Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth.

2. Put mixture in freezer until ice cream reaches desire thickness. (For quicker ice cream, freeze half of the water into ice cubes before blending.)

3. Scoop ice cream into four dishes and serve with your choice of topping.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/2017/09/15/how-make-tom-brady-famous-avocado-ice-cream/

Back to top Go down

Post by priest Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 am

I thought TB12 was Primal, what is this nonsense? is he going to eat that vegan ice cream while kneeling during the national anthem on Sunday? condensed grass-fed milk, raw heavy grass-fed cream, and grass-fed ghee is the only Primal ice cream base anybody will ever need. are you sure Colin Kaepernick didn't hack Brady's account or something? that recipe is an abomination

priest

Back to top Go down

Post by priest Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 am

I tried Lovebird's link, but I think they took the article down out of sheer embarrassment. Google "Tom Brady ice cream" and the first thing that pops up is this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/tom-brady-diet-avocado-ice-cream-nfl-patriots-health-fitness-workout-2017-10

the last word of the video is "brutal". hilarious! why would anyone spend $70 at Whole Foods trying to make this vegan mess?

priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 am

TB12 isn't Primal. It's mostly Paleo, with a pescatarian twist as TB/GB eat no meat. Therefore protein bars and - powders were added, and ofcourse his famous TB12TM Electrolytes.  Rolling Eyes

That however does not mean that every item has to have meat/dairy in it. Razz It's perfectly okay to be Primal and eat veggies. Or replace/remove dairy when sensitive to it.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2017/09/15/how-to-make-tom-bradys-famous-avocado-ice-cream

Back to top Go down

Post by priest Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:59 am

he claims that his version of this "ice cream" is "much healthier". than what, exactly? the cheapest ice cream at the store, maybe! there is no way that the vegan items he uses are even remotely as healthy as the Primal items I listed. yes, it's true that every item doesn't *have* to have meat or dairy in it, but why take chances? did you watch the video in the link I posted? I've never in my life heard an ice cream be described as "brutal". talk about messing with mother nature!

priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:02 am

Very Happy I think this might be OK to eat if your "topping of choice" was, perhaps, Southern Comfort or Yukon Jack. A generous dose of the topping before eating, some on it, and a bigger dose afterwards.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by priest Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am

lol! Very Happy

priest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down