Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feeding Kids Paleo/Primal

4 posters

Go down

Feeding Kids Paleo/Primal Empty Feeding Kids Paleo/Primal

Post by Lovebird Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am

To get a start on this subforum, and a reminder: 'don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good':

https://robbwolf.com/2016/03/15/feeding-kids-paleo/

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/raising-your-kids-on-primal-foods-plus-mealtime-strategies-for-picky-eaters/

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/some-primal-answers-for-kids-problem-behaviors/

Back to top Go down

Feeding Kids Paleo/Primal Empty Re: Feeding Kids Paleo/Primal

Post by Dawn Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 pm

My kids eat a mostly paleo/primal diet.

I do "allow" them more carbs than I eat - they eat a little rice, some potatoes/sweet potatoes. They can use their pocket money as they wish (including non paleo snacks), but mostly they choose not to.

Treats are dark chocolate and pork-rinds.

My son eats very close to zero carbs - except when there is potatoes/rice on the menu. i.e. he is not much into fruits/veggies. My son is also allergic to dairy, eggs, nuts and peanuts (his allergies were the starting point for our interest in food/health). When he is very low carb his eczema goes away. He knows this and is actually getting better and better at choosing not to eat carbs, but that means mommy has to accept that he thrives on an almost 100% meat diet...

My daughter eats mostly vegetarian (not vegan) - except for a little bacon, chicken and liver paté (and the duck fat that she doesn't notice me using in her foods, and the bone-broth I boil her rice in). She munches on veggies all day. Loves peppers, cucumber, broccoli etc. etc.

They have free range on all foods in the house (except for my restrictions on iberian ham, since my son did eat 100g/day and at €5/100g that was ruining us...).

Both have been "behind" growth-wise until we cut out gluten, but has caught up most of it after - my son mostly eats and sleeps (ie. grows) these days.

We do have gluten "splurs" once in a while, like yesterday the kids had pizza (we had asked them what they would ask for if we said they could have free range to get "anything" they wanted all week parents could not say no - and pizza was their craziest wish, the rest was stuff like "go to the beach", "go rollerskating"). But when my son saw my "meatzza" he was actually kind of jealous and wanted to try that next time instead. Since my husband went keto to rid himself of severe dandruff and constant sinus headaches it has become less and less frequent (such a shame bc. we have an amazing pizza oven...).

I also do not limit what they eat when we are out - they pretty much eat what ever is servered (and be happy about the opportunity).

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:04 am

Dawn it seems your kids are truly learning to feed their bodies what they are craving. That’s a good thing. Not being tied to any “norms” shall we say. They sound quite healthy.

My DD is a lot like yours loves her fruits and veg. She does eat her meat easily and is what I consider loosely primal as she loves her GF bread. Avoids gluten and dairy.

DS on the other hand, is healthy but does still eat bread and dairy, however due to his wife having issues with dairy, it’s quite minimal. And his wheat consumption is down, corn up.

Now, there is a caveat to all of this. When DS was growing up, we were veg, and I baked my own bread. Then started back with meat.
He was out of the home by the time I found Primal/paleo.

There is 7 years between DS and DD, so she started out veg, and was with us when we brought meat back. Then really took to primal after doing a W30 with me and watching some of her issues clear up

I so wish I would have known all things primal when my kids were young, and myself as well.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:16 am

I so wish I would have known all things primal when my kids were young, and myself as well.
+1
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawn Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:22 am

Oh me 3!

Dang - the way my son downs meat and how he is thives on it... his teeth are really crooked... I imagine due to lack of nutrients to build his jaw? But now after changing our diet and him growing so much, they seem to be "falling into place", I so hope it isn't too late and that he won t need braces...

Dawn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down