Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coffee!!!!

+13
Pedidoc
OnTheBayou
ONTARIO
Neck2
SWSL
Acroyali
Paysan
RedComet
Lovebird
Rig D
The Walrus
srinath_69
Nightly Orange
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Coffee!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Coffee!!!!

Post by srinath_69 Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Pedidoc wrote:My youngest and fiance swear by cold brewed coffee. My 2nd son and his wife prefer french press (FWIW, he works at Starbucks and she used to manage one). I go the kurig route, since I'm the only one who drinks it at the house.  First cup of the day has brain oil and collegen in it.

I never understood the cold press craze. Oil gets into water with heat and pressure. I love espresso, and I can taste the difference when you make espresso from the same grounds vs coffee.
As in, I use gevalia and ~1 scoop and make espresso @ home. ~8oz worth from 1 scoop.
I use the same amount but in a Keurig refillable cup to make coffee also 8 oz from ~1 scoop.

The first is far far better than the second. Its almost not even the same animal. Cold and 12hr brew may work, but I would rather use steam high pressure and 30 sec brew time.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:27 am

^ You've already shared this preference and it's irrelevant to Pedidoc's post, which is a response to OP.

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm

srinath_69 wrote:Coffee you drink is basically a bunch of oil and water soluble ingredients pulled from coffee beans that are roasted and ground.
Stale in the cup but it was only brewed minutes ago = The grounds have changed from the time they were roasted and logically work backwards from there, maybe it was roasted and ground 3 days ago and only minutes from brewing, so it was bad before it got roasted (or it was roasted to ash) ...
Health wise - depends on when the problem originated. Beans roasted to the color of charcoal IMHO are likely to be a carcinogen more than cancer fighting.

Once again, way overthinking with lots of conjecture. I usually start reading a post w/o looking at the poster's name. I swear, I keep picking out yours, time and again. So much, "Huh?"

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:
srinath_69 wrote:Coffee you drink is basically a bunch of oil and water soluble ingredients pulled from coffee beans that are roasted and ground.
Stale in the cup but it was only brewed minutes ago = The grounds have changed from the time they were roasted and logically work backwards from there, maybe it was roasted and ground 3 days ago and only minutes from brewing, so it was bad before it got roasted (or it was roasted to ash) ...
Health wise - depends on when the problem originated. Beans roasted to the color of charcoal IMHO are likely to be a carcinogen more than cancer fighting.

Once again, way overthinking with lots of conjecture.  I usually start reading a post w/o looking at the poster's name.  I swear, I keep picking out yours, time and again.  So much, "Huh?"

OK so what is stale coffee then OTB ?

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 pm

srinath_69 wrote:
OnTheBayou wrote:

Once again, way overthinking with lots of conjecture.  I usually start reading a post w/o looking at the poster's name.  I swear, I keep picking out yours, time and again.  So much, "Huh?"

OK so what is stale coffee then OTB ?

I've never experienced stale coffee. Not my definition, so I can't answer it. Like proving a negative.

Years ago I used to buy coffee from a Lebanese guy who had a giant commercial roaster in his shop. I remember him laughing at all these people who think they need to keep their coffee in the fridge or freezer. I've had coffee ground several years before, room temp, it was just fine. Perhaps if I had fresh ground as a comparison, I wouldn't say that. But nothing was "off."

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Lovebird wrote:^ You've already shared this preference and it's irrelevant to Pedidoc's post, which is a response to OP.

Thanks, Lovebird. It is responses like S_69s that make me not want to post in discussions.....
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:18 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:
I've had coffee ground several years before, room temp, it was just fine.  Perhaps if I had fresh ground as a comparison, I wouldn't say that.  But nothing was "off."

I have had plenty of bad coffee. Most of it TBH has been left on the burner for hours. But I also have had beans go weird and funky.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 am

srinath_69 wrote:
Also - single origin coffee is really coffee beans only - from 1 location etc etc.
Blended coffee has a lot of other stuff - non coffee stuff in it - common ones being roasted barley, salt, sawdust and chicory root.
Most of those are actually not bad for you some like chickory is even good, only problem is - the coffee they're blended with is garbage that's burnt to hell after being grown on polluted and probably radioactive soil.

srinath_69 wrote:This is one source of that fact - http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2015/03/27/what-s-really-in-your-blended-coffee-drink-powdered-coffee.html found courtesy google.
One more http://www.baristabasics.com.au/?Coffee-Blends-v-Single-Origins;News;126

Thanks for sharing a link that proves my point, not yours... and Fox News? Rolling Eyes

* 2 beans : Mexico and Honduras
* 4 beans : Brazil, India, Ethiopia and Timor and another
with Brazil, Mexico, Honduras and India (both Arabica and Robusta)
* 5 beans: Costa Rica, Colombia, Ethiopia, Kenya, Papua New Guinea
* 7 beans : Brazil, Timor, Ethiopia, Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:51 am

Pedidoc wrote:
Lovebird wrote:^ You've already shared this preference and it's irrelevant to Pedidoc's post, which is a response to OP.

Thanks, Lovebird.  It is responses like S_69s that make me not want to post in discussions.....

Unlike MDA this place has no ignore function... Cool You're welcome. And please do post wherever you feel you have something to share that adds to the discussion and/or gets it back OT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:29 am

Lovebird wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:

Thanks, Lovebird.  It is responses like S_69s that make me not want to post in discussions.....

Unlike MDA this place has no ignore function... Cool You're welcome. And please do post wherever you feel you have something to share that adds to the discussion and/or gets it back OT.

Will do. If S69 had been paying attention I said cold brew for one son and French press for the other. I never said cold press.......reminds me of students who are so busy thinking about their argument that they can't listen to what is being said. Mad
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm

One of the secrets IMO of good coffee is a clean machine to grind the beans and a clean machine to do the brewing. When I learned to make coffee as a kid it was always stressed that the machines be cleaned immediately.

Also, Pedidoc, the little ones in your profile picture are adorable!

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Acroyali wrote:One of the secrets IMO of good coffee is a clean machine to grind the beans and a clean machine to do the brewing.  When I learned to make coffee as a kid it was always stressed that the machines be cleaned immediately.

What do you mean by cleaning the machines? I never do anything to my basic Mr. Coffee that isn't just the externals or the carafe from time to time. After all, the rest of the system is just moving water.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:19 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:
Acroyali wrote:One of the secrets IMO of good coffee is a clean machine to grind the beans and a clean machine to do the brewing.  When I learned to make coffee as a kid it was always stressed that the machines be cleaned immediately.

What do you mean by cleaning the machines?  I never do anything to my basic Mr. Coffee that isn't just the externals or the carafe from time to time. After all, the rest of the system is just moving water.

I should clarify =)
I clean the filter cup, and keep the pot washed, etc. I would probably find a way to drink cold coffee that was a week old but coffee to me just tastes better out of a scrubbed pot (same way water is just SO damn good out of a glass that's really been scrubbed, rather than rinsed in between glasses of water. This is JMO!)
We have a Keurig (sp?) as well, and I'm on the fence on whether or not I like it... keeping the system going can be a challenge if you use it every day, and it seems to extend the life of the machine if you throw some plain water through it a few times vs. adding coffee pods. First time I did it the machine was acting really stupid and plain water brought out a lot of old grounds into the cup.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:51 am

Cleaning --We occasionally use a mixture of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water and cycle it through the brew cycle a couple of times to remove any calcification you may get in your pot from minerals in the water. In our case, it makes a noticeable difference in how long it takes to make a pot of coffee
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:52 am

Acroyali wrote:
OnTheBayou wrote:

What do you mean by cleaning the machines?  I never do anything to my basic Mr. Coffee that isn't just the externals or the carafe from time to time. After all, the rest of the system is just moving water.

I should clarify =)
I clean the filter cup, and keep the pot washed, etc.  I would probably find a way to drink cold coffee that was a week old but coffee to me just tastes better out of a scrubbed pot (same way water is just SO damn good out of a glass that's really been scrubbed, rather than rinsed in between glasses of water.  This is JMO!)
We have a Keurig (sp?) as well, and I'm on the fence on whether or not I like it... keeping the system going can be a challenge if you use it every day, and it seems to extend the life of the machine if you throw some plain water through it a few times vs. adding coffee pods.  First time I did it the machine was acting really stupid and plain water brought out a lot of old grounds into the cup.  

OK. I guess my taste buds aren't that sophisticated or something. From time to time I'll put the filter holder in the dishwasher and the pot, but that's about it. I probably should vinegar clean the system more frequently; I've come to realize that the tap water here is loaded with minerals that are easily made visible just with some heating and boiling. Water tastes fine, but I can't use it in a humidifier, for instance.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:33 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:
Acroyali wrote:
OnTheBayou wrote:

I should clarify =)
I clean the filter cup, and keep the pot washed, etc.  I would probably find a way to drink cold coffee that was a week old but coffee to me just tastes better out of a scrubbed pot (same way water is just SO damn good out of a glass that's really been scrubbed, rather than rinsed in between glasses of water.  This is JMO!)
We have a Keurig (sp?) as well, and I'm on the fence on whether or not I like it... keeping the system going can be a challenge if you use it every day, and it seems to extend the life of the machine if you throw some plain water through it a few times vs. adding coffee pods.  First time I did it the machine was acting really stupid and plain water brought out a lot of old grounds into the cup.  

OK.  I guess my taste buds aren't that sophisticated or something.  From time to time I'll put the filter holder in the dishwasher and the pot, but that's about it.  I probably should vinegar clean the system more frequently; I've come to realize that the tap water here is loaded with minerals that are easily made visible just with some heating and boiling.  Water tastes fine, but I can't use it in a humidifier, for instance.  

My sophistication level lies directly beneath Barney Fife but directly above Ellie Mae Clampett Wink But I think it's a hold over to how I was taught, probably why I still make my bed and stuff. Childhood habits that carry on into adulthood are weird. I made coffee when I was barely 10 but never wanted to drink it. Now, I'd happily hook it up to my veins.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Please don't quote the entire dialog, just the last pst, or the key parts of it.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Or nothing at all, if you're just replying to the previous post.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by John Caton Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:03 am

srinath_69 wrote:
I never understood the cold press craze. Oil gets into water with heat and pressure. I love espresso, and I can taste the difference when you make espresso from the same grounds vs coffee.
As in, I use gevalia and ~1 scoop and make espresso @ home. ~8oz worth from 1 scoop.
I use the same amount but in a Keurig refillable cup to make coffee also 8 oz from ~1 scoop.

The first is far far better than the second. Its almost not even the same animal. Cold and 12hr brew may work, but I would rather use steam high pressure and 30 sec brew time.

There are multiple benefits of cold brewed coffee. Antioxidants are preserved better by cold brewing. Caffeine is better absorbed by cold water than by hot water, delivering more caffeine per cup. in fact, pouring a cup of cold water through the grounds and discarding it prior to traditional brewing is a natural way to decaffeinate coffee by those who want to avoid caffeine. Less oil is released by cold brew. The oil in coffee oxidizes quickly, characterized by the rancidity of hours-old coffee. Oxidized oils are inflammatory which is why the addition of coconut oil to hot coffee is beneficial.

A Ray Peat discussion of caffeine is interesting at http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

John Caton

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 am

John Caton wrote:
srinath_69 wrote:

There are multiple benefits of cold brewed coffee. Antioxidants are preserved better by cold brewing. Caffeine is better absorbed by cold water than by hot water, delivering more caffeine per cup. in fact, pouring a cup of cold water through the grounds and discarding it prior to traditional brewing is a natural way to decaffeinate coffee by those who want to avoid caffeine. Less oil is released by cold brew. The oil in coffee oxidizes quickly, characterized by the rancidity of hours-old coffee. Oxidized oils are inflammatory which is why the addition of coconut oil to hot coffee is beneficial.

A Ray Peat discussion of caffeine is interesting at http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtmln

Interesting list of coffee benefits there by Peat, John. I guess my 6-12 cups a morning makes me about bulletproof, to plagiarize Asprey's term, even w/o his expensive coffee or butter. An odd thing about my habit is that on the rare days I don't drink coffee, I don't suffer any withdrawal symptoms.

His long winded but well documented essay, following the list of coffee benefits, is a "must read" to understand how mucked up almost all research and pronouncements are. Hidden and not so hidden agendas, sloppy research, conflicting results, lack of respect of nutrition as first line offense to good health.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Acroyali Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Sorry RigD. I'm still an old fart trying to figure this technology thingy out =O

Apologies.

Acroyali

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:20 pm

My last post included the last two comments, and I'm seeing more of it.

Tech, not user, failure?

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 am

OnTheBayou wrote:Tech, not user, failure?

Just because several members choose to ignore the repeated requests not to quote the last response or even worse several nested quotes without focussing on what they're responding to, does not make it a tech issue... Rolling Eyes Quoting is sometimes necessary when the post one is referring to is higher on the thread.

Acroyali wrote:Sorry RigD. I'm still an old fart trying to figure this technology thingy out =O

Apologies.

Thanks Acroyali, I'm sure you'll find a way to remind yourself. One is never too old to learn. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:36 am

Quotes: I put up a post in the "How do you do this" area on how to use quotes. If you haven't read it, it might clear things up for you.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:32 pm

Rig D wrote:Quotes: I put up a post in the "How do you do this" area on how to use quotes. If you haven't read it, it might clear things up for you.

What's weird is that I've never had multi-quotes until a few days ago. And, although I'm not sure, I think it is just on this thread.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next