Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water

+2
RedComet
Nightly Orange
6 posters

Go down

Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water Empty Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water

Post by Nightly Orange Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:11 pm

I noticed this months ago and never thought about it too much, but sometimes I'll feel like eating a lot of fruit, especially juicy ones like mango, kiwi, apples, grapefruits, etc. If I have a little bit of fruit, the desire to gorge on more intensifies. However, if I go get a drink of water (usually cold carbonated mineral water of some kind, if it matters), the craving vanishes instantly. It's like magic.

Is this a personal quirk, or something fairly common? Anybody know a possible mechanism? Maybe just dehydration combined with subconscious Pavlovian conditioning due to how I used to quench my thirst with sugary beverages, from my SAD days of yore?
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water Empty Re: Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water

Post by RedComet Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:25 am

I know what you're talking about. Sometimes, when I feel like eating something sweet, I reach for a cold can of LaCroix. It's super refreshing and I get a touch of the fruit flavor without actually eating a mountain of the stuff. Your body might be urging you to seek out something juicy to eat because it's actually thirsty.

While we're on the subject of fruit, I've been buying a lot of clementines recently because they're really convenient snacks for my kids. I. Can't. Stop. Eating. Them. Juicy fruits are too good!

Last edited by RedComet on Thu May 19, 2022 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

RedComet

Back to top Go down

Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water Empty Re: Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water

Post by srinath_69 Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 am

I usually drink either Apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice. Water wont cut it for me cos I am always sipping it. But I am actually good with eating fruit, its the fruit juices that are bad. I know we've genetically selected fruit to be plump and sugary and have low nutrition in the bargain - but I still consider them real food. Juices OTOH - yea no thanks. Unless they've been fermented to dryness LOL.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Since we're all just opininating here, I think that a thirsty body can disguise itself as cravings, and that a big glass of non-sweet liquid will quell the cravings. And no, Srinath, I really don't think alcoholic drinks fermented from fruit juice is the correct way to conquer thirst! Razz

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:08 pm

I am not conquering thirst or anything else for that matter.

I am just saying fruit is OK in my current state of life and I call them "real food" FWIW, fruit juices aren't unless previously acted upon by my lovely friends - the yeast.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:22 pm

Speaking of fermented fruit juices, I shouldn't be so hard on you, Srinath. After all, vinegar has a lot of uses even in the primal diet. Heheheh.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water Empty ACV grrrr

Post by srinath_69 Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:16 am

Paysan wrote:Speaking of fermented fruit juices, I shouldn't be so hard on you, Srinath. After all, vinegar has a lot of uses even in the primal diet. Heheheh.

That reminds me - I can not for the life of me make ACV. Aple wie - no problem, fortified and north of 35% alchy easy peasy. Apple vinegar - Grrrrr not happening.
Should I ferment it with yeast first then put in culture from vinegar ???
BTW Primal IMHO is anything that existed ~10000 yrs ago, in about the same quantity by proportion. We had flour and sugar but 100 times less. We had meat and veggies @ about the same quantity as today. Just my guess.

Last edited by srinath_69 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hit post by accident.)

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:34 pm

Vinegar is spoiled wine or other fruity liquids. The old tyme method of making ACV was to inoculate a barrel of cider or apple juice with the 'mother", that yeasty murky stuff at the bottom in non-pasteurized ACV, then let set outdoors for the winter. By spring, you'd have vinegar. I've never tried it, but the process seems simple enough. It's a relatively slow process, compared to commercial vinegar that never saw an apple or grape.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:32 pm

Oh, I should wait longer ? I did the live culture mother ting but only like 2 months ago. Its also in a cooler house, outdoors is much colder than the 72 degree house.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:21 pm

AFAIK, Bragg's ACV is aged a minimum of one year. Maybe you should slow down a bit and twiddle your thumbs for a few more months? Very Happy

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky07 Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:52 am

priest wrote:This content deleted by moderator Rig D

This forum will not put up with your provocative BS Priest. Clean it up immediately or be banned.

Just curious, how many warnings will Priest get before being banned? I believe this is his second. Based on his performance on MDA and now here, is there any reason to believe he is interested in anything except trolling?

Rocky07

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:42 am

Rocky07 wrote:
Just curious, how many warnings will Priest get before being banned? I believe this is his second. Based on his performance on MDA and now here, is there any reason to believe he is interested in anything except trolling?

Lovebird wrote:
Moderation will always be based on behaviour and never on beliefs. That goes for Priest too. He's been warned and is aware of the consequences. And it's up to the admin and moderators to decide who gets banned. Spammers and advertisers will be at first attempt. Others will get a chance to show their willingness to improve.

As mentioned in the Rules and Regulations ( https://primalforums.forumotion.com/t137-primal-forums-rules-and-regulations#2509 ):

If you feel someone is out of line with these guidelines, you should contact one of the Moderators via a Private Message. The moderators have a private area on the forum for sharing information and communicating with each other to ensure agreement on any actions to be taken.
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Fruit craving suppressed by drinking water Empty Yikes

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:50 am

Paysan wrote:AFAIK, Bragg's ACV is aged a minimum of one year. Maybe you should slow down a bit and twiddle your thumbs for a few more months? Very Happy
Oh yikes. I think I'll just buy the stuff, not worth it, I'm likely to catch hell from the lovely for using up that space for a whole year, and that's just aging ? how long do they ferment it ? Yikes, vino is under 6 weeks.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:27 pm

I guess the difference between fermenting and ageing is the difference between new wine and classic wines that reach their peak flavour only after several years. As for me, I like grape juice, except for the calorie count. Don't drink it anymore, because I find it addictive.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:35 pm

No wine and vinegar are both "fermented".
Vinegar uses bacteria, wine uses yeast.
They could run @ different speeds, definitely, but in fact I have made kombucha in 4-6 weeks in the past, so there is definitely something off in the apple juice I am fermenting to ACV, maybe the "mother" they are claiming has been radiated to oblivion. Time to poke around and find my kombucha mother and use that maybe ?

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Paysan Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Old kombucha is so sour that it can twist one's face, but I don't recall ever getting vinegar from it. It just made multiple layers of "mushrooms" until the jar was full and the solution depleted.
It took you 4-6 weeks to get kombucha??? I only took that long starting from a non-pasteurized drink from the HFS and adding it to the base solution of tea and sugar. Using the mushroom made a usable product in under 2 weeks; we liked it sparkling.

Paysan

Back to top Go down

Post by srinath_69 Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:07 pm

I didn't drink it fast enough to get to it before 4 weeks. I sort of stopped making it because of that. I'll get a mushroom and see what the Apple juice does. I like it dry as the desert sand.

srinath_69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum