The Primal Intellectual

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Re: The Primal Intellectual

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 pm

One more thing I just kind of want to put out there and see what all y'alls thoughts are on it.

This is early days and just a thought we, as a family, have recently had. We're sort of just rolling it around in our heads for a bit.......

Son, as you all know, is a competitive sailor. When we look at his results from the last summer to this summer he has come leaps and bounds. At a few of the big regattas he went from 35th place last year to 18th place this year (with the Ontario Sailing Team taking the top 10 spots every time). And that, also as you all know, is with basically zero coaching (our coach is 17 years old! Son is 18 years. ) on our puddle of a "lake" (it's a damned up river).  Anyway, we have often asked ourselves how good he actually could be if he had some actual coaching and a real lake to train on. I imagine he could do well as he is dedicated to sailing. In fact, this year he has told us he would actually like to coach sailing for a living. He's an American citizen so there is a lot of opportunity to coach varsity sports and lots of universities have competitive sailing teams.

To get to the point.....we are thinking about having him sail for a living starting next summer. Basically, with an end goal of the 2024 Olympics. We are in contact with another young lady doing this and basically you get sponsors who pay for everything, then get yourself on the Canadian team and then the government sponsors you so you can train for a living. Son would have to move to Toronto or down south (if he wanted to represent the USA instead of Canada) to train 365 days a year. He would also travel about half the year going to regattas around the globe - various national regattas, the world's etc.

Hubby said he doesn't have anything stopping him. He has family and financial support and he does not want to go to post-secondary. He LOVES sailing and is pretty decent at it so far. Worst thing that happens is that he gets a lot of sailing in the next 6 years. He has nothing to lose. And when I look at the fact that he's only been sailing in a racing capacity for two years and he's placing 18th I think there could be some potential. But we are also wary of being "those" parents. IYKWIM.

thoughts?

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:13 pm

I think if he is passionate about it, he should go for it.  If he doesn't he might always regret it.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:17 pm

I'm on a roll today! I have a beef. My daughter (15 years old) wanted to order some things from a clothing website. I thought I would take a look in case there was anything I wanted to buy for our trip to California. Well, well, not happening! I am a size 12. It appears I can NOT order anything from this site as nothing would fit. Just check out this sizing guide. A LARGE is a size SIX!!!!  Evil or Very Mad And they wonder why a lot of young women these days have body image issues.  

Last edited by ONTARIO on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:18 pm

Jeez, a Large is a size 6 - that is unrealistic.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:07 pm

I think if DS is ever going to really “go for it”with sailing, now would be the time while he is young.

Clothing sizes are rediculous, however some of it depends on where it’s being made.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:22 am

Narrowminded wrote:I think if DS is ever going to really “go for it”with sailing, now would be the time while he is young.

This is our thought, as well. And, even if he doesn't make it to the Olympics the level of training, skill and competition he would be involved in over the next 5-8 years would garner him a good chance at a coaching job with a college or university in the future. He really has nothing to lose.

I am a huge believer that many dreams and much potential of young people is squashed by others who have the "get a real job" or the "that will never happen" mentality. If no one ever went out and tried then no one would ever succeed. I think it's important to foster passion and skill.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:40 am

I'm in the "go for it" camp regarding your son.
If he loves it, and has talent, he'll be happy with his choice. If he launches into it and finds it isn't really what he wants, he has plenty of time to re-evaluate where he's headed.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks, Rig. Like I said, it's early days yet and this just came up as an idea/thought. Who knows what will come of it but we are definitely giving it some effort with regard to investigation, etc. We'll see......

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 am

Like the idea of pursuing interests.  I never had that chance and know where I would have liked to be way too late in life.  Best wishes with the decision process and the decision.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:45 am

Today is my Friday. Not much happening this weekend. Son is working (he's loving his new job!) and Daughter is going to a fun-day weekend sporting thing at her school. Maybe hubby and I will do a little geocaching. We might go out and get son's boat from the yacht club and bring it home. Sadly, sailing season, and summer, has come to an end. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  

It's supposed to start getting cooler - more fall-like - this weekend. I love fall; it's my favourite season. The only problem is that here, in Ontario, one never knows if fall will be 2 weeks or two months. And then the impending doom of winter starts. Gah!

I just ordered a new cell phone that should be here tomorrow. Slightly excited about that. My old phone is 10 years old. It's so old it doesn't even have a SIM card. It's been glitchy lately and apparent that is because the old CMDA network (a non-SIM card network) isn't being supported by my carrier anymore. I guess I successfully allowed my phone to outlive its network! LOL! It WILL be nice to have a camera on my phone. I'm not really a big phone person but one must keep up with technology, I suppose.

Should be a nice, easy weekend. I'll have to enlist daughter to help me set up the new phone. But other than that nice and relaxing.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Getting a camera only puts you, hmm, 5-8 yrs behind the curve. Smile
My wife and I have a serious very basic cell phone thing. We pay by the minute, and for the two of us we spend $20 every 3 months or so. We are way, way, behind the tech curve. I got her a basic smart phone for last Christmas and neither she nor I like it at all, nothing is easy, nothing is obvious to us. Hopefully your experience will be much better.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Rig....I'm sure I will be bugging my daughter relentlessly with a, "how do you do this?" line of questioning a dozen times a day. She's already rolling her eyes at me when I ask questions about it. Wink

It's funny because I remember the old jokes about your grandmother not understanding the VCR. Now I'm one of the ones who doesn't understand. Funny how life works!

I don't have data or anything like that. I pay $10 a month and that gives me 100 minutes of talk - that I typically never use. But when I get the new phone I am changing to a $10 talk/text plan. I still won't have data. I don't really see a need for it. I sure as heck never aspire to be one of those people constantly on their phones.

I watched an interesting video lately about how smartphones are causing more addiction and shrinking our ability to think:

https://www.facebook.com/RabbiWolffCentralSynagogue/videos/2149495661959998/

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:49 pm

Your new phone may allow you to tap into your home wifi network if you have such a desire. It won't require your phone plan to have data capability.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:59 am

Ontario I'm with you on not using data.  To tell the truth, I do not know what constitutes data.  

I have had a smart phone for a few years now and I still have problems...  My grandson is here and I handed him the phone upon his arrival for a problem I was having.  "phone offlline".  It ended up working when we left the airport so perhaps that was the reason.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 am

This should be interesting.......this is the end of son's third week working at the dive shop. This morning everyone who works there (owner and consultant) along with about 30 student divers, all left the country on a training dive and won't be back until Monday. Son is all by himself to open, close, and everything in between for the whole weekend. I guess he's either doing a stellar job or the owner is incredibly trusting!

This is the dive shop we want son to buy. He knows the owner as he's been diving with this shop five years, now. Owner wants to retire in 7 or 8 years and has talked to son about working there, learning everything, and then buying it. Hubby and I love the idea because it's the kind of opportunity that rarely comes up. How fortunate to be so young and take over a successful business were in all the clientele already know and trust you. We think son should live at home, work the shop, and bank all his money for the next 8 years. Then he could buy the shop.

Anyway, who knows where this kid will go! He has a lot of options for someone with no post-secondary. This weekend should prove to be interesting!

In other news...... daughter wants to be a Disney Princess!!!!! She's serious. She's researching working on a Disney cruise ship for a year between high school and university. It's going to be quite funny when she submits that essay for her big culminating assignment in Career Studies.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:22 am

I guess he's either doing a stellar job or the owner is incredibly trusting!
Or both. I agree, it sounds like the dive shop opportunity for your son is a solid prospect for him to strive for.
It's just me, but I'm not too high on Disney, so the cruise job for your daughter doesn't grab me.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 am

Congrats to DS being given this big opportunity to show his worth at the shop. Could be the owner wants him to know exactly what he’d be getting himself into if he eventually bought it. And DS will get to see what it’s actually like and see if its something he would like to do. Win, win as far as I can tell.

Hmmm Disney princess on a cruise ship. Could prove quite interesting.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 am

I love how supportive you are of your children taking time to explore and possibly follow their [non-traditional] dreams. It sounds like your son has some wonderful opportunities. She may not love it, but your daughter would surely have some interesting experiences and that might allow for the growth that will help her decide on a university major that really suits her.

I loved reading of how just focusing on 10k steps per day has benefited you.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I think a year on a Disney ship pretending to be a princess sounds wonderful!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Went for a nice walk in the woods. The fall leaves were quite pretty. It's cool here today - definitely sweater weather. Made up a batch of cabbage rolls for freezer meals. Took a trip to the Asian grocery store to pick up some things.  It's always an interesting trip and we always see something new.   Tonight hubby is making flank steak with chimichurri sauce.

I'm starting to get the hang of my new phone but there's definitely a learning curve. Daughter has been a huge help. It WAS nice to be able to take pictures while in the woods.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 pm

You walk sounds wonderful.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:00 pm

Nice, easy  Sunday. Did laundry and some baking. Then I made son drive the family to the dollar store and Walmart. He's 18 and has zero interest in driving but has his driving test mid-October. We just want him to get it because some day he'll thank us for making him . He doesn't have to drive after he gets it but for insurance purposes it will make a huge financial difference the longer he's been driving when he's, say, 30 years old.

Restored my tablet to factory settings and started over as it's been quite slow and glitchy. It's as good as new.

Loving the new phone! Where have I been on that all these years?!

Woke up to it being only 4 degrees (36 F). Fall is surely here.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 pm

What great opportunities for your children! I hope your daughter goes on the cruise ship, a wonderful experience that will benefit her so much. And the dive shop for your son, you’re right, that sort of opportunity doesn’t come along very often.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:39 pm

BRR that was a bit colder than I’d like just yet. Was in the 50’s here.

It’s amazing to me how many young people today do not have an interest in driving. When we were young, you could not wait to turn legal age and get that license.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:00 am

It's so nice to see you journal some more than usual Ontario! Cute dog pic! Smile Sounds like you had a nice walk/weekend. I love checking out the Asian foodstore too, they always have something I didn't think of before going... and they offered almond meal and other stuff before it was popular enough to be available in the supermarkets (and still cheaper).
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum