Tomi found her way!

Page 5 of 44 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24 ... 44  Next

Go down

Re: Tomi found her way!

Post by tomi1000 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Day 4 - Candida diet. Left overs tonight. I am craving sugar for sure! I am down 3 pounds - so BONUS! Smile This the first time I have been on a special diet while under the instruction of my doctor - so I have much more reason to stay on plan.

Energy levels are still low. Very low. Yesterday I went to the grocery store and it totally drained me. I was only gone from home for about 30 minutes. Today has been very quiet. We've been discussing and planning for Superbowl party. I need to make a shopping list. This year we are doing "eat with your fingers" type foods.

I will go to moms on Wednesday this week. Not looking forward to that cuz its always very draining on the best of days. This time I need to take her for her 6 month check up with the surgeon who removed her breast cancer. Otherwise, the week is planned to be very quiet.

Not sure if I mentioned - we hired a yard maintenance company to come once a month for mowing and general clean up. Since I can't keep up with it, this was the logical thing to do. And I'm loving it! (feeling spoiled)
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 am

I think I'm having die off symptoms. My lethargy and brain fog is much worse. I hope this part passes soon. I'm not liking it at all. I'm also getting the sweats and feeling sorta lightheaded a lot. Almost like the hot flashes have returned - but not with that kind of intensity.

Going to bed - praying for a good sound sleep tonight. I really need it. Since I have nothing on my calendar for tomorrow I will sleep late as needed.

I took out pork for tomorrow. I think I'll do roasted veggies again - yummy. I did get some more greens and cucumbers so maybe I'll try to juice some up in the morning, with some mixed berries.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:45 am

Hopefully, symptoms will disappear as your body gets used to the diet and use the available nutrients to heal. Sounds likes it's cleaning house first. Hang in there.
Nice to have someone else handle the garden! Enjoy it's beauty.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:02 am

Tomi I hope you slept well. Praying this is all part of the healing process. Also take a look at your electrolytes, with all you can’t eat right now, they may be a little out of whack like when starting keto.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 am

today was a better day - aside from the belly pain and bathroom visits this morning. I'm thinking that must be a part of the die off stuff? I'm also having some hip pain, which is totally unusual for me. Symptoms can include joint and muscle pain, so its either that or I just strained my hips somehow? Its more on the right, so could be just a strained muscle.

More energy today and more clarity also! I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and run some errands. Bank and grocery.

Food - eggs, pork chops and roasted veggies, and bacon. Smile yum.

Need more bacon! and fresh veggies.

My weight continues to drop, so I'm guessing ketosis has set in. I never thought to check electrolytes - how do I do that? Don't I need a blood test? I have been watching my glucose via finger stick. Last night 2 hours post-prandial = 88. Smile

Here's a strange thing - my mouth feels weird - like it has a yucky coating of something - almost greasy - but kind of a furry/greasy thing. I have read that die off can give you this type of thing. And my lips are constantly dry! I am using a lot of chap stick!

I was a bit concerned about the amount of B vitamins that I'm taking. So I checked my dosage on B3 and B6 and they are close to or slightly over the max dose - but I'm not taking it all at once - it is divided into 3 doses throughout the day. So I don't think I need to worry about toxicity. I'm following my NPs instructions on dosing. I sure hope my body starts to work right again soon. I'm ready to put this chapter of my life behind me!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 am

Bacon is on my grocery list, too. It is amazing the amounts I can eat.

B vitamins are water soluable meaning the body is incapable of storing them, so any excess is just voided out of the body.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:47 am

Pedidoc wrote:Bacon is on my grocery list, too.  It is amazing the amounts I can eat.

B vitamins are water soluable meaning the body is incapable of storing them, so any excess is just voided out of the body.

Bacon rules. Cool

That was my first reaction as well, but apparently that's not true where certain B vitamins are concerned. Nerve damage is possible due to overdosing on B6.

"Too much B6 can also cause oversensitivity to sunlight, which can lead to skin rashes and numbness, as well as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and abnormal liver function."

https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/vitamins/can-any-b-vitamins-be-harmful/

FWIW

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 am

Tomi, you could add a little sea salt to your water or food. I would guess a slightly lower sodium level, as generally when starting keto you void a lot putting your water level out of balance which then affects your electrolytes. Make sure you’re getting enough water, but add a touch of salt. Unfortunately most of the veg/fruit that are highest in potassium as also those with higher glucose response such as potatoes and bananas. If you continue to feel dizzy, talk to your NP.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles67 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Tomi,

Yes, Extreme lethargy and dizziness can be a sign of electrolyte imbalance.
If your eating plan is taking you into ketosis, you will need more sodium, potassium and magnesium. On r/keto ,the reddit site, you can find specific recommendations. I usually need one gram of extra sodium chloride per day which I get through one bouillon cube or pills I order off Amazon. I take 400mg of magnesium and use lite salt for potassium.

Glad you are getting yard help.
Pebbles67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:04 pm

More energy and clarity, those are good signs. As for the other symptoms, I see those as signs that you are becoming even more aware of your body, which is also a good thing. It is great that you are taking note of them, in hindsight you I believe they will begin to make sense. You are going well, keep it up and see what happens next.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Bacon is on my grocery list, too.  It is amazing the amounts I can eat.

BACON!  Smile  Makes me happy!

Thats what my NP told me about the B vitamins - but I did read about B3 and B6 being touchy on dosing.  However - with my dosing 3 times a day I don't think I need to be concerned about it.  

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement and support. It's been a long, hard and confusing journey.

I do drink a lot of water - so maybe I will add a pinch of sea salt.  Magnesium messes with my bowel function so I don't go there.  Potassium - I'm not sure about.  

The scale dropped again today.  So, 6 pounds gone now.  Inflammation most likely........ but still.  I'm liking the downward progress.  I'm still 20 pounds up from my all time primal low.  So I have a ways to go.

But thats not my main concern right now.  I am measuring my progress in terms of energy and stamina.  I'm going to try to do the banking and shopping today - tomorrow is mom day with a doctors appointment added.  

My sister has stepped up and tiny little bit on the mom stuff.  Smile  She has taken on paying mom's rent and medicare supplemental.  I put all her utilities on auto-pay so - NO MORE checks for me to write!  I use her debit card when I go shopping.  And since there is no more bookkeeping to bother with now, I'm not even going to balance her checkbook anymore.  That takes a bit of the load off me.  Not that it took that much time or effort - but the basic fact that 99% of moms care has been on my shoulders since she stopped driving years ago has just been a heavy weight - especially since my health has been on the down swing for so long.  So, I'm grateful to my sis for taking those things off my plate.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Lovebird wrote:

Bacon rules. Cool

That was my first reaction as well, but apparently that's not true where certain B vitamins are concerned. Nerve damage is possible due to overdosing on B6.

"Too much B6 can also cause oversensitivity to sunlight, which can lead to skin rashes and numbness, as well as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and abnormal liver function."

https://www.drweil.com/vitamins-supplements-herbs/vitamins/can-any-b-vitamins-be-harmful/

FWIW

NIH: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB6-HealthProfessional/
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:16 pm

good article. My daily dose of B6 is a total of 325 mg. I get this in my multiple v which has the 25 mg - 6 capsules per day taken in 3 doses - for a total of 25 mg. I also take a B complex 3 times a day with 100 mg in each capsule. Morning, mid-day and bedtime. But considering my vitamin deficiencies I guess it is okay. My NP says my body is faulty in methylation. I guess thats a fancy way of saying its not absorbing B vitamins.

I'm getting quite an education trying to understand what is wrong with my body. Ten years of reading and applying different theories...... if I had the energy (and about $100K for tuition) I would go back to school and become an NP and specialize in gut troubles. Smile I would love to be able to help other people who have suffered with problems that no doctor wants to take the time to figure out! I've spent about $15,000 out of pocket on this problem. Thats a rough estimation - its likely much more. The most expensive being a Colonoscopy/endoscopy that the insurance wouldn't cover because I wasn't yet 50 years old. That alone was nearly $5000. Tons of other tests that insurance doesn't cover, plus 10 years of supplements at about $200 a month. Probably closer to $25-30K. Wow.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 pm

See you are almost 1/4 of a way toward being an NP!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Pedidoc wrote:See you are almost 1/4 of a way toward being an NP!

I love how that sounds! Smile

I'm feeling stronger today Smile Smile Smile Still waking up every 2-3 hours though so I need to get that fixed. I need to stop having so much liquid in the evening cuz I'm waking up with the need to pee. I'm still getting used to the WholeTones 2Sleep music. But I do think its helping me sleep better. I feel like when I am sleeping I am in a deeper sleep - so there is progress! Smile

Day 7 of the Candida Diet! Smile One week down - 3 weeks left. I've lost 6 pounds so I'm thrilled with that. Smile I think the worst of the die off symptoms are over. I still have some brain fog - but that could be as much to do with the vitamin deficiencies as the yeast die off. Hard to know when there are several issues going on at the same time. But I am feeling a little stronger physically so I'm pleased.

So, mom's doctor called this morning and needed to reschedule her appointment - so mom day has been moved to Monday. Smile I'm not complaining one tiny bit! I could use a few more days to gain some strength and stamina. So the two casseroles went into the freezer - I'll take them out on Sunday so they have time to thaw. I take her 2 casseroles every 2 weeks, and divide them onto single serving containers and then put them in her freezer. She loves it and I know she's eating something healthy that is easy for her cook.

tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Tomi that sounds like great progress. And wow getting an extra free day is fantastic. I’m happy to your sister finally decided to step up a bit. That is always huge
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks, NM! It feels so good to get out of bed and actually have a bit of strength and energy. Today I slept late, but as soon as I was dressed I seared the lamb shoulder and put it in the crock pot for dinner. I cleaned up all the dishes from that and dinner last night, I cleaned up my "clutter area" in the dining room, I juiced up some romaine and cucumbers and cleaned up the juicer, I registered some stuff online, and put some stuff in the "donate" pile. Awesome! Yeah ME!

My pattern for the past 3 months has been drag myself out of bed, throw on my sweat pants and a t shirt, brush my teeth and hair, grab a protein bar, make a cup of tea and collapse on the sofa for hours. So - I'm seeing some good things happening. I'm also noticing some things in my skin and eyes. I have almost no bags or darkness under my eyes, and my skin is looking a bit less blotchy and dull. Smile I looked at myself in the mirror last night and thought "wow, I look younger!"
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Great NSVs, Tomi. Glad you feel better.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Tomi you ran circles around me this morning Smile. That is awesome
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Great NSVs, Tomi. Glad you feel better.

Narrowminded wrote:Tomi you ran circles around me this morning Smile. That is awesome

Thank you! Smile

I am on day 8 now and haven't wavered. I seriously miss calling hubby and asking him to grab dinner on the way home. I have found a few places that have easy take-out that is compliant with the needs of my diet. There is a sushi place just around the corner that makes a teriyaki salmon with rice that is to die for. and they make the most amazing sushi rolls. But, alas, nothing for the candida diet. So, I'm cooking every. single. day. UGH. What a thing to be fussing about! shame on me.

As we are planning the super bowl party menu I am grieving the things that I can not eat! We have planned in 2 dishes that I are compliant with my diet. This year the theme is finger food - so all the entries are things you can easily eat without utensils. Even the desserts. We try to have a different theme every year - but as this is our 15th super bowl party we are starting to run out of ideas! We like to have several things - not just one main food. The menu this year is as follows:

Large Shrimp and Tender Steak Kabobs with mushrooms
Mini Cheeseburger dough ball bites
Won Ton Pizza cups
Curried Chicken Wings
Crab Cakes
BBQ jelly Meatballs
Potato skins with bacon, cheese and chives
Deviled eggs
salmon dip with crackers
Chocolate chip peanut butter oatmeal cookies
Apple Pie bites

Does that just make your mouth water? Of course none of our guests are primal/paleo minded, or even much on the healthy eating minded side, so we cook what we know everyone will enjoy and throw caution to the wind.

I've had a quiet afternoon with movies, music and words with friends. I showered and half dried my hair. Waiting for the hubs to get home.

Tomorrow I might be meeting my best friend for a visit with her parents at their home. They are aging, just over 80 now, but the worst part is they are both suffering from memory loss. I fear if I don't see them soon it will be too late and they won't even know me. They have been a part of my life since I was 14, and filled a very important need in my life as I grew up. I love them dearly.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:58 pm

wow, the Lamb Shoulder turned out so tender and good! Just needed a little added seasoning. Yummy! Having a bit of a sugar cravings at the moment - comes every night after dinner. Whats up with that?
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Tomi your menu looks good. Except for some sugar in some of the dishes, many would fit the Primal WOE, so actually you’re helping your friends out.

Pre Primal days, did you have dessert after dinner or grow up that way? Could explain the sugar craving after dinner
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:48 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Thanks, NM!  It feels so good to get out of bed and actually have a bit of strength and energy.  Today I slept late, but as soon as I was dressed I seared the lamb shoulder and put it in the crock pot for dinner.  I cleaned up all the dishes from that and dinner last night, I cleaned up my "clutter area" in the dining room, I juiced up some romaine and cucumbers and cleaned up the juicer, I registered some stuff online, and put some stuff in the "donate" pile.  Awesome!  Yeah ME!

My pattern for the past 3 months has been drag myself out of bed, throw on my sweat pants and a t shirt, brush my teeth and hair, grab a protein bar, make a cup of tea and collapse on the sofa for hours.  So - I'm seeing some good things happening.  I'm also noticing some things in my skin and eyes.  I have almost no bags or darkness under my eyes, and my skin is looking a bit less blotchy and dull.  Smile  I looked at myself in the mirror last night and thought "wow, I look younger!"

This is awesome. Already your body is slurping up some of those nutrients and putting them to use. Happy to read your progress is going well.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:59 am

I guess the dishes we're making aren't that far from primal. The grains are minimal. The bad stuff is in the desserts.

You know - I didn't grow up with dessert as a regular thing, but my mother certainly had no clue about healthy eating. We always bad foods in the house. I grew up eating Coco Puffs or Sugar Frosted Flakes. Cinnamon toast. She would make pretty decent dinners but I was on my own for the rest of the day.

However - at the age of 57 I can't really point to my childhood for my sugar cravings. I've always loved cookies and sweet things. The candida diet is supposed to cause more sugar cravings since the yeast bugs eat sugar - and if they are starving they cause the cravings. Thats the theory anyway - I'm not really sure I buy it. I've gone 9 days now eating only meat, eggs and non-starchy veggies. Today was a challenge, but I held my ground.

I didn't make it to meet my best friend today - my gut decided to keep me close to the bathroom. I don't think my tummy likes lamb. Sad I stopped eating red meat about a year ago. I think lamb is just too "rich". Maybe someday I will be able to eat it again.

However, I was blessed with a visit from a different friend. She spent most of the afternoon with me. Its was very nice.

Energy was a bit lower today due to the tummy trouble. But still better than a week ago. I feel like I'm healing......... Smile Slowly - but yes, finally healing!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:20 am

If you've, "always loved sweet things and cookies" and have had health issues for years, could you have been unknowingly feeding the candida? I know when we look at spinal fluid that is infected the sugar is low because it feeds the organisms.

Your friends are a blessing. I hope you get to visit with your bestie. She's the one that lives overseas, China maybe?

I'm starting day 7 of my W30, so we can cheer each other on. Walking slightly different paths, but a buddy is always good. From my W30 journal the suggestion is to have one person you can call and say that you are about to break your Candida diet for a bite of (insert food/drink here) and wait for their response. It also suggested that you think about that "just one bite won't hurt" thinking the same way just one snort of cocaine, drink, pill won't hurt. It seems extreme, but in the scheme of things and how bad you felt it's pretty accurate.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 44 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24 ... 44  Next