Moving Forward Toward Better Health

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

Re: Moving Forward Toward Better Health

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:17 pm

The Walrus wrote:Fireplace, dogs, baking, what a cozy picture!  Sounds like a fairy tale Smile

It was a nice relaxing day. Just enough stuff completed to feel productive without wearing myself out.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Today after I finalized my last set of grades, I binge watched the last 8 episodes of How to Get Away With Murder. Youngest and fiancé came over to watch the night football game. Ordered the GF pizza from PapaJohn's with one for them. Was pretty good. Nice visit to end a very lazy day.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:35 am

I've been binge watching shows on Netflix. I finished Good Witch and moved on to When Calls the Heart.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:40 am

Great to be able to slow down. The BBC in UK have a few programmes called Slow Television. Saturday evening we watched a 2 hour trek by the Sami people of Norway with their reindeer. There's no sound so we put on a classical music station. Very relaxing!
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:59 am

I just do not know how people afford all these added spots (Netflix, etc.) for watching better entertainment. My local company charges an arm and a leg already for simply watching the basic of programs....and they are awful and boring. If I did not need the internet I would cancel for sure.

I'm addicted to using the internet...for sure.

All your stories about what you watched and how you relaxed makes me envy.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:21 am

PP wrote:I just do not know how people afford all these added spots (Netflix, etc.) for watching better entertainment.

Until Spectrum bought Time Warner Cable (TWC) here and made us a deal where we got cable for about $30 over the cost of high speed internet and telephone, we were going strictly internet and over the air broadcast TV. When we left TWC, I spent around $90 for a Roku box and less than $60 for an over the air only Tivo box. We already had a decent tv antenna. My monthly expenses were subscriptions to netflix, hulu, and a subscription to Tivo, all for about $40/mo. Roku gave access to netflix, hulu, and a huge variety of free channels, most useless, but some jewels if you were willing to hunt for them. The Tivo unit could record around 5 simultaneous broadcast shows and had great tools for managing series you wanted to record, and had a huge storage capacity. I picked up the Sling channel (around $20/mo) during December and January so I could watch ESPN and see the college football bowl games and playoffs.

Most newer TV's have the ability to get you Netflix Hulu, Amazon, etc if you have the internet to support them.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:21 am

tomi1000 wrote:I've been binge watching shows on Netflix.  I finished Good Witch and moved on to When Calls the Heart.  

Are you still using your recumbent bike while you watch?
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 am

jeangenie wrote:Great to be able to slow down. The BBC in UK have a few programmes called Slow Television. Saturday evening we watched a 2 hour trek by the Sami people of Norway with their reindeer. There's no sound so we put on a classical music station. Very relaxing!

Sounds very interesting.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:25 am

perennialpam wrote:I just do not know how people afford all these added spots (Netflix, etc.) for watching better entertainment.  My local company charges an arm and a leg already for simply watching the basic of programs....and they are awful and boring.  If I did not need the internet I would cancel for sure.

I'm addicted to using the internet...for sure.  

All your stories about what you watched and how you relaxed makes me envy.  

I had recorded mine from local tv. For our cable, every year I go to a physical location and ask what kind of deal they can give me. I've managed to keep the price the same or lower while adding various channels each time. I like the face to face route as I find it more successful then over the phone.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 am

Great sleep last night. Naggy lower back pain today, not sure why.

I've had time this morning for coffee and catching up while starting a load of laundry. Today is office cleaning day. I'm starting with some filing and then moving into the cleaning and getting rid of stuff phase. I've got 2 stints of 30 minutes each on the treadmill and some planks planned.

Loosely planning a full fast today to be broken by dinner tomorrow. We will see how the day goes.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 am

Got my filing done. Got my teaching mess put away. Decided to move cleaning my office to Wednesday. I just wasn't feeling it. On the other hand I feel like working on getting another MSN course ready to go, so will work on that this afternoon. As long as everything gets done, it doesn't matter which day I work on it.

I do not know if I will get activity in today. My back is still sore.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:32 pm

Pedidoc wrote:
Rig D wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:And yet they took the final. Didn't matter they both did not pass.
Ya gotta wonder. If you have your F nailed down, why waste the time and effort to take the final? Possibly a light day during finals week? Or is there still the concept of an "Incomplete" grade that hangs around causing scheduling problems if you don't do the final?

I think they were hoping to miraculously pull a final grade of a low C. What is particularly bad is if it is their second failure, they are out of the program.

I hope I'm coming in so late to this conversation that it makes no sense - - but seriously --- as a patient, I certainly do not want to be attended to by a medical professional who gets a final grade of a low C. I have an acquaintance who just graduated with her LPN degree - she skimmed by the entire course with just above passing grades. If I ever need a nurse - I hope she isn't the one to come to my aide! I hope that doesn't sound mean, but think about it - a passing grade of 72% means that she learned less than 3/4 of what will be needed to do her job. I guess the rest can be picked up on the job - but it still makes me uncomfortable.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:38 pm

I suspect that nursing is much like my background in engineering. There are some courses where a C is just fine to pull down, and may or may not have much bearing on how good and effective the person will be in their professional life. In your friend's case, the bigger concern is the "just skimmed by". If she was working hard and diligently for her C I wouldn't have much problem. But being a skimmer, she probably only picked up a superficial understanding and won't retain squat, and may approach her real work with the same attitude and be a hazard.

Judging from what my LPN daughter relays to me, there is an awful lot of OJT that occurs every time a nurse changes jobs. The basic knowledge and skill sets are good, but learning the "ropes" of the new procedures and methods of approach always entail a training period and a new learning curve. The skimmers usually don't make it past the first month or two before they burn themselves down with competence issues.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Then you have those who can understand everything and if you ask them to show you what they know, they can absolutely do it, they have trouble putting it down on paper. I've seen that as well.

And I've also seen those who are straight A's but cannot transfer the information to application.

Kathi - I'm happy to hear you got much accomplished will still going lightly on yourself.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:17 pm

tomi1000 wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:
Rig D wrote:
Pedidoc wrote:And yet they took the final. Didn't matter they both did not pass.
Ya gotta wonder. If you have your F nailed down, why waste the time and effort to take the final? Possibly a light day during finals week? Or is there still the concept of an "Incomplete" grade that hangs around causing scheduling problems if you don't do the final?

I think they were hoping to miraculously pull a final grade of a low C. What is particularly bad is if it is their second failure, they are out of the program.

I hope I'm coming in so late to this conversation that it makes no sense - - but seriously --- as a patient, I certainly do not want to be attended to by a medical professional who gets a final grade of a low C.  I have an acquaintance who just graduated with her LPN degree - she skimmed by the entire course with just above passing grades.  If I ever need a nurse - I hope she isn't the one to come to my aide!  I hope that doesn't sound mean, but think about it - a passing grade of 72% means that she learned less than 3/4 of what will be needed to do her job.  I guess the rest can be picked up on the job - but it still makes me uncomfortable.  

No worries, Tomi. They both failed and the one who didn't even bother to turn in the paper is out of the program. They have to have a testing average of 75 no matter what their overall grade is and maintain a GPA of 2.75. Remember we educate for safe beginning generalist nurses who must then pass NCLEX and gain expertise in a specialized area of nursing.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Rig D wrote:I suspect that nursing is much like my background in engineering. There are some courses where a C is just fine to pull down, and may or may not have much bearing on how good and effective the person will be in their professional life. In your friend's case, the bigger concern is the "just skimmed by". If she was working hard and diligently for her C I wouldn't have much problem. But being a skimmer, she probably only picked up a superficial understanding and won't retain squat, and may approach her real work with the same attitude and be a hazard.

Judging from what my LPN daughter relays to me, there is an awful lot of OJT that occurs every time a nurse changes jobs. The basic knowledge and skill sets are good, but learning the "ropes" of the new procedures and methods of approach always entail a training period and a new learning curve. The skimmers usually don't make it past the first month or two before they burn themselves down with competence issues.

Exactly, Rig D. Specialization occurs after graduation and passing NCLEX.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Then you have those who can understand everything and if you ask them to show you what they know, they can absolutely do it, they have trouble putting it down on paper.  I've seen that as well.

And I've also seen those who are straight A's but cannot transfer the information to application.

Kathi - I'm happy to hear you got much accomplished will still going lightly on yourself.  

Thanks NM. I much prefer the students who seem to pull it together for clinical versus the book smart ones who test well, but are clueless on actual application.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Dinner of beef and spinach was okay. Tomorrow I'm at the clinic. Hope he delt with front office staff. Also hopeful I get a small bonus (usually a Visa gift card) and that we are not crazy busy! Fasting all day tomorrow.

Last edited by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeangenie on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:31 am

Have a peaceful week!
jeangenie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:42 am

You deserve a bonus for all your hard work should be acknowledged!
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 am

jeangenie wrote:Have a peaceful week!
Thanks JG. You too.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:01 am

perennialpam wrote:You deserve a bonus for all your hard work should be acknowledged!

I'm not holding my breath....
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 am

Good sleep, didn't hear DH leave. Woke up a bit before my alarm. Very foggy outside.

Clinic today. Probably no student, so I will be working solo. Hoping it won't be crazy busy. Last day at the clinic until late January.

Pork butt in the slow cooker for dinner.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Pork butt sounds so good.  Reminds me to get my ingredients for traditional tamales.  Hope your day at the clinic is smooth and not too wild.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:46 pm

I think I'm going to make pork for Christmas, or maybe a meatza. I've got some cashew cheese that I'd like to try.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next