Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 34 of 36 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Happily, most of the snow was gone by this morning, I wore hiking boots as the next big thing will surely be mud... ground was frozen when I was out. Lots of fog to start and I got this shot with the sun behind Shoe Hill. Did a Shoe Hill Loop.

Early experiments with the Charge 3 are going OK I think. It has my resting HR a bit high, but it was a bit of a restless night and the house was too warm so 55 might have been the value for last night. I just found the HR graph, not as good as Garmin, but OK. Based on forums, I wasn't sure I would have any data. Lots and lots of complaints - true, not a perfect product but I think it will be OK for me. I hope the battery life is as good as promised, that had become a frustration with the Garmin.

Last evening I couldn't get the notifications working, but I think I've fixed that today. That would have been a deal breaker for me as I often have earphones in (not connected to my phone) and can't hear the phone ring when I'm out, but want to know if it rings. Messages are less important, but still very handy. I'm working on those now. Syncing is a bit hit or miss which is disappointing but not a total surprise. It seems to do better away from my laptop - bluetooth confusion?

Good meeting with a sales rep today, then walked on campus to have lunch with him. The sun is out and campus is lovely with lots of autumn color.

PT and errands with T on Friday. This weekend will need to be dedicated to wood chopping. I got only the minimum done last week before the rain set in. T may have to run the chainsaw briefly for me. I also intend to get in a longish hike, hopefully something like 11-12 miles. If all goes well that won't take that long, and hopefully, I won't really be tired from it. Still deciding on ATY but definitely want to do it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:16 am

Very pretty and seems unusual for you.  The snow I mean.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:24 am

Love the morning pic of the sun coming up.

Hopefully you will get things straightened around with the C3. I actually went out and got a Versa yesterday to compare before deciding. While the screen is a lot larger, not really what I was looking for, it is very comfortable to wear.

Early tests with it have me in love so far. Why? Well I can read all the numbers and depending on the face I choose, all w/o my readers. The auto function for the brightness actually works, unlike the C3 that didn’t. The main metric you have showing when exercising can also be read w/o readers.

I have to check the manual as I’m not getting as many things in my today screens as I scroll through as I did on the C3. I would like to be able to see stair flights, but I can find that on a different face if necessary.

Initial HR check w/my walk w/the dog this morning seems about right. Won’t know that until I can get in some heavier duty exercise.

All that to say, if you have continuing difficulties, give the Versa a try.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm

Thanks, NM, good to hear about another option. I had checked out the features of the Versa a while back although I can't recall why I wasn't excited about it. Might just be that it seemed like more than I needed.

I like the Garmin phone app better than the Fitbit app, but I'm getting more accustomed to the views, same with the Charge 3 watch itself. I can read the watch just fine with regular eyesight so that isn't an issue. I'm still adjusting to the notifications from my phone for calls and texts, I'm hoping I'll get better at getting to those. I've put the Charge 3 into exercise mode a couple of times, but it seems that feature is a bit pointless for most things and it is hard to get it to stop running. Also, it really sucked the life from my phone battery so I won't be using that anymore and I don't actually need it. Having done an exercise session doesn't seem to change anything about the HR views. I'm not certain yet about how accurate I think the HR tracking is. It seems reasonable based on what I've been doing of late - hiking. I'll need to do a steep climb or something more challenging to see if the HR seems reasonable.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Lovely pic!
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Friday morning, we had a rare daytime Luca sighting. It was a relief as she hadn't been by for a few days (bad weather) and we were starting to worry. Of course, having her come during the day is also worrisome as we don't want a bad interaction between her and the boy...  First time I've gotten a clear picture of her. Still haven't touched her...

Friday after PT we did some errands in town, T is getting to be more agile and since he is hurting a bit less, he is able to do more stops after PT before saying "I'll just stay in the car". Back at home, I fed us both, then weighed him down with ice packs while I set off on a hike.  9151 to 773b, so 5.7 miles.

Saturday the focus was entirely on wood. I pulled some aspen logs from the pile and marked them then held them as T ran the chainsaw. I detest the chainsaw! Filled up the wood bin to the brim as well as loading up a wheelbarrow and the buckets. Then we got everything under tarps as rain was forecast. We are having our usual autumn invasion of gophers so T is digging and setting traps. His job entirely as far as I am concerned.  Put some chicken on to cook and slipped out for a quick Shoe Hill Loop at T's suggestion.  3.3 miles

On Sunday after breakfast I set off for my planned longer hike.  Rain was in the forecast, but it was a nice day and clouds make for better pictures. I didn't push for speed, just my normal cruising pace. This was more a test of longer distance and how my feet are doing as I increase the distance.  In the end the loop I choose worked out to 12.3 miles and I averaged a bit better than 16 minute miles. Feet felt great, and actually, my overall energy was really good. Once back at home, I had a bite to eat and lazed about for 30 minutes talking with T, before getting up and getting on with the top projects I had planned - monster pile of dishes, some water management (rain barrels needed to be drained/water moved), and sorting out a monstrous pile of laundry.  Anyway, I was well pleased to not be tired after bumping up the mileage. I'll shoot for more next weekend.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Luca's markings make me think she is part wild cat of  some sort.  She is lovely.  

The pictures are wonderful and lovely.  

Glad you got in your mileage.  

Also happy to hear T is doing well.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:13 pm

As to getting the Fitbit to stop a workout. You need to lightly press the side “button” which will pause the WO, then hit it again a second time which will bring up the button to finish. It took me a couple of tries to figure it out. The versa is the same, but it has a physical button to push.

Happy to hear T is doing much better and able to make more stops and get in some extra walking with the errands.

Sounds like some great mileage for you. Awesome job. I think I’d be dead after 12.3 miles, but you just kept on going.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Luca is so pretty! So glad she reappeared. And your sun pic is gorgeous! There is nothing like living in a beautiful place.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Very nice pictures.  I am not much of a cat person, but your two are just gorgeous!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Narrowminded wrote:As to getting the Fitbit to stop a workout.  You need to lightly press the side “button” which will pause the WO, then hit it again a second time which will bring up the button to finish.  It took me a couple of tries to figure it out.  The versa is the same, but it has a physical button to push.

Happy to hear T is doing much better and able to make more stops and get in some extra walking with the errands.

Sounds like some great mileage for you.  Awesome job.  I think I’d be dead after 12.3 miles, but you just kept on going.  

Thanks, NM. Yep, the pause is easy, but when I'd hit the button a second time it would just display other data. Seems like there is some special amount of push that I just wasn't getting right... Not going to fuss since I really use Strava for recording the hikes. I was mostly curious to see what sort of stats I got from Fitbit for the session and the answer is nothing useful. The Garmin was better for that, but even those stats weren't something I much cared about or used.

I was pleased that for the first wearing, I got the full 7 days of battery life, even with more fussing/use than would be typical as I was doing the setup. I really wanted better battery life.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:40 pm

The Walrus wrote:Luca is so pretty! So glad she reappeared. And your sun pic is gorgeous! There is nothing like living in a beautiful place.

Thank you. Agreed, loving one's surroundings makes life much, much better!

Pedidoc wrote:Very nice pictures. I am not much of a cat person, but your two are just gorgeous!

Thanks, Pedi! We are hopeful that one of these days we will be able to really claim Luca as ours. It is hard to be patient, particularly with winter coming, but I think it is our only option.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:48 pm

T had a good PT session Tuesday, after some warm-up, he got to 118 degrees of flexion and was pleased about that. His therapist says he thinks it likely T can get darn close to the full 130 that is said to be possible. As his coach, I am going to do what I can to get him there!

We almost never see movies, but the National Geographic film "Free Solo" was still in town so we went to that after PT. Wonderful film - amazing photography, and I think there is something there even if one isn't particularly interested in climbing. Much to think about what pushing oneself to be the best we can be means, handling fear and not letting fear hold one back, and about risk - how much should one risk to meet one's goals?

After some extra errands, we got home and T was toast so I put him to bed with an ice pack and slipped in an end of the day hike. Wonderful sunset due to the lingering rain clouds.

PT for me today. Working on some exercises I can do to help resolve this muscular/nerve thing I have going on. Will walk midday to WF to buy guac to top my salad later. Rain is clearing out at last and we are to have sunshine for several days to come!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:52 pm

I'm dying to see that film! I've read so much about it. In the meantime I've ordered Meru.

The one thing I wish for is for Dream to like cats (or at least not hate them) and for the dogs to tolerate cats...okay, that's two things...
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Glad you had a successful walk with the C3 and it’s working for you. I have to update what I said about the Versa. I realized today that the pause is always an option on the screen in the corner and then if you hit pause the finish option is available in another corner. A little different than the double push of the C3

When I finish a walk the Versa give me the time, pace, ave HR, high RH, distance. It think that’s it. After I hit the ok, then it leave a summary on the watch of what time of day I did it, ave pace and ave HR, but I can dig further on the app or on the web. Not sure what you are searching for.

Love the pic, looks like a wonderful hike. So happy T was able to be out and about. Awesome PT report too.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:36 pm

The Walrus wrote:I'm dying to see that film!  I've read so much about it.  In the meantime I've ordered Meru.

The one thing I wish for is for Dream to like cats (or at least not hate them) and for the dogs to tolerate cats...okay, that's two things...

Meru is excellent. Again, really beautiful, and with some interesting insight into pushing oneself to the limit/how much risk is appropriate to reach goals.

If I were a genie, I'd grant you those wishes in a heartbeat! Dogs can be trained, I think humans are more challenging, particularly if there is any sort of allergy involved.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm

True! I'm sure the dogs could be taught to tolerate cats even though they have an enormous chase response, they are highly trainable. Dream...not so much! lol!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:42 am

M2M - you also get CALS, steps and elevation. So time, distance, ave pace, Ave HR, max Hr, CALS, steps and elevation. Double checked this morning.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:48 am

Just realized that The Versa has the Strava app on the watch. I never opened it, as I’ve never used Strava, but if you have questions, let me know and I’ll see if I can find what you want.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Can't quite decide if I ate something I shouldn't have, am just tired, or if I'm a bit nauseated from pain... Thursday was a rough one, early, off-schedule PT for T, then some errands. Took him home and then loaded up the laundry and headed back to town. Four hours of driving plus hours of laundry did me in as far as triggering a vicious round of the nerve pain. None of my usual tricks (postural positions, stretches, trigger point pressure) are working well. Rough night, sleep stats are bad and I know I was awake a lot.

Thinking I'll head out for a walk soon to see if movement, sunshine, and better blood flow helps. Sorry to be so whiny!!!

One interesting tidbit for the day was that my Fitbit One recorded a very reasonable 8200 steps whereas the Charge 3 came up with over 14k and gave me a notice about auto-recording my "swim". Had to laugh at that, but it seems that folding clothes and sheets in some way mimics swimming. Anyway, when at the syncing was done, I am back to the 8200 steps on my dashboard. I'm glad for that, all the extra steps that one can get from a wrist-based tracker on a busy arm day shouldn't count.

We have a glorious forecast for the weekend. I hope our woods won't be overrun with hunters. Other than getting in another longish (15-18 mile) hike, I have no particular plans. T has asked for a casserole so I'll whip something up for him. Turkey based, I hope.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:55 pm

Wish you were not feeling pain especially in your face.  

All this talk about Versa and Strava makes me know that one of those contraptions is not for me.  haha  I barely can control my computer!  

Hope you do have that glorious weather come to be.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:16 pm

M2M I’m glad you have a weekend with basically nothing to do. I sure hope that you felt better after a walk.

Have a great weekend
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:20 pm

perennialpam wrote:Wish you were not feeling pain especially in your face.  

All this talk about Versa and Strava makes me know that one of those contraptions is not for me.  haha  I barely can control my computer!  

Hope you do have that glorious weather come to be.

Thanks, Pam. As gadgets, they are fun, and can provide useful info. And for those who are not very inclined to move enough, can serve as motivation. I gave my Garmin to my admin assistant and she is liking the sleep tracking as well as the hourly reminders to move. Given she is pre-diabetic and working to ensure she doesn't become diabetic, the move reminders are helpful. You on the other hand are usually so busy with projects and yard work, I doubt a reminder to move is necessary.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Narrowminded wrote:M2M I’m glad you have a weekend with basically nothing to do.  I sure hope that you felt better after a walk.

Have a great weekend

Thanks, NM. Yep, the walk was wonderful while it lasted, and I must say, I dragged it out because it was such a beautiful autumn day and because pain isn't/wasn't an issue while moving.

Being back at my desk is not good and I'm giving it up for the day/week. Still have to drive home, but then can relax, and I'm optimistic that I can work through the kinks with some heat and relaxation.

Talked with T who is having trouble with excess swelling and he cheered my hiking plans saying he can rest/elevate/ice his leg while I am out and not feel guilty about it. Certainly no reason for him to feel guilty regardless but he is feeling like he is not pulling his own weight of late despite my telling him it is OK.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 am

Just had a thought an it might not even be something you think about or notice. I know your work has been quite stressful lately not to mention T surg etc. Any chance you are clenching your jaw at work? Sometimes we do things like that w/o thinking or even noticing.

I know at times my DD will tell me, get your shoulders down. Didn’t realize they were up, stress does it. Just checked it as I wrote and yup they were up a bit.

Walking requires more breathing and would help you to unclench if it were. Maybe take note? If you are, maybe a mouth guard could help, at least it would make you aware of when you are doing it.

So nice of you to give your Garmin to your Admin assistant. The reminders really do help when you have to be locked into a chair or whatever. I love to move, but my situation has me not moving a lot. One of the reasons I go for 10000 steps a day. Makes me move more.

Have a great and relaxing weekend.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 36 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next