Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 am

Meant2Move wrote:And I"m back! Albeit briefly...
I love to wander neighborhoods and look at houses and landscaping. The area is a bit of a maze of streets that start and stop, dead ends, and big sweeping curves that cut across a vague grid. Aside from the dead ends, I usually manage to navigate it reasonably well and occasionally find a fun new route.

Woman after my own heart.  I love to wander neighborhoods to get the feel of the area, the period of architecture of houses, the types of trees used in the landscapes.  One of my favorite things is to do on vacation.  In fact these are my staple mini-vacations in my city.

Meant2Move wrote:Not sure what to think really. Her knee is damaged and extremely painful so she can't really walk. Her heart is damaged so surgery is not an option. She can't exercise, is scared of pain meds (fearing addiction), so she sits all day. She eats very poorly - bread and a few veggies, dislikes protein foods, and has to limit greens due to being on blood thinners.  She has largely given up, and that is hard to accept or understand.

So sorry to read about your mom.  I totally understand your frustration when there ARE things our folks can do, but, don't and they're not willing to try.  When I watch my mom, it's sad to to see that the very thing she are doing is what's making her brain not understand what I'm trying to do for her.  I think her generation just didn't come to think for themselves when health concerns came up.  The doctors always had a pill for them to take care of it.  

Sigh, it is a difficult situation and all we can do is mediate what we can.  Strength and hugs to you.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:38 pm

I agree with HFF...blind devotion to doctors and their medication.  Sad indeed.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:12 am

Hoping all went well with T's knee. Looking forward to an update.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi All,
Whew, feels like I've been away forever, although time offline is not a bad thing.  

As best we can tell, the surgery went well. It was moved up to be the first of the day, so once they wheeled my guy away, I grabbed a little breakfast and some badly needed coffee, then set off for a walk figuring I'd much rather be moving than sitting in a waiting room.  Was a little surprised to find the park was a mile from the hospital - not a problem obviously, just further away than I expected based on driving. Did a loop at the park and then back to the hospital for walk of just over 4 miles, and still got back in plenty of time. Happy to see T was listed as being in post-op.  It was still another 30 minutes or more before anyone called with an update, and more like a full hour before he was moved to his room.

By evening some concerns were showing up, namely bladder troubles. In the end, he was catheterized and peed over 1.5 liters. Yikes!  I left the hospital well after 9 pm to head home and get things set up in hopes he'd be coming home next day.  Late night, early alarm - times like this I could wish we didn't live an hour out of town.

Wednesday morning I arrived expecting good things but it wasn't too be. Bad night, some reactions to meds, lots of pain, still some pee troubles. Not going to be released that day. We both have low resting heart rates, and given that we live at elevation (over 7000 feet) it is typical for oxygen saturation to be a bit low, but when he'd doze off both HR and o2 would drop into alarm territory. They turned the oxygen up which helped that, but not the HR. And his breathing was not good which was scary for both of us.  By evening, things were coming around, including peeing, so I finally headed for home around 10.  Exhausting day doing very little and worrying a lot.  

Thursday was much, much better. When I arrived, he was awake and doing much better. PT went well and he did stairs successfully, a requirement since there is no getting into our house without doing at least 4. They turned us loose around 1 pm. It was a long hard ride home, and once we got there, icky because the forest service had just started another prescribed burn so we were inundated with smoke. Sheesh!!!

Still, progress has been steady since Thursday. He is doing stairs slowly, but successfully, and has been walking with crutches outside. Nothing at our house is smooth once one steps outside, so he gets bonus points for managing rocks and roots and walking on dirt or gravel. Still having more pain than either of us expected, but doing OK. Swelling has to be managed carefully, but ice is now a frequent companion.

First PT appointment went well and we both like his therapist a great deal, as he is sensible, but will push T and is aware of his (our) goals.  

I've been getting out for hikes most days since bringing T home which has kept my happy factor pretty high. Food hasn't been as good as it might be - more SAD than primal. As I get back to work, it will improve.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:38 pm

SO good to read your hubb is already moving around! I remember just navigating to the bathroom from the bedroom was a challenge every night with crutches. Sounds like you both are in good hands with PT.

Glad you're also getting some de-stress time in your outdoor forays.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 pm

It sounds like he's doing well. It's still early days and at least he's up and around. And I wouldn't stress about the SAD. It certainly won't kill you for a short bout - it's all about the long game.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Good to hear the surgery went well. Sorry for the troubles post-surgery though - that must have been very scary! I hope his healing goes off without a hitch!
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:44 pm

My hospital catheterized me also, I think it is SOP here. They yanked it out early AM on the day after.  Sorry to hear T had issues in the hospital, but glad he's home and seems to be doing well. Hopefully you have some decent meds for addressing his pain.

I also did the cold packs, 30 minutes on 3-4 times a day, usually after doing a round of exercises. With my first knee surgery, the ice was usually accompanied by a nap, not so for my other knee. Glad you are compatible with your therapist, having one who will keep after T on working the exercises is important.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:16 pm

I am glad to hear T is doing well despite the scary time in the hospital.

I also did ice packs, front and back of the knee. Really helped. I too, hope he has something good for the pain as it is pretty miserable. And it might keep him from pushing as hard as he needs to to work on bending his knee. Several of the men I was in therapy with had to a corrective surgery where they were put under and the knee was bent to break up adhesions. Just hearing about the surgery was enough to keep me focused on flexation and preventing adhesions.

I hope things continue to improve!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:40 pm

M2M - so glad you hear you are home and the surgery seems to have been a success. Those issues at the hospital are hard to deal with emotionally, but happy that everything has turned out ok. Healing takes time and there will be pain.

You are doing a great job as a caregiver for T and getting out for that exercise is huge when you have to do it.

Hang in there.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Great news that you are both home and the surgery went well.  I am not surprised that his heart rate and O2 dropped after surgery - the pain medications contributed a huge part to that and you might want to forwarn medical personnel in the future.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes and for stopping by. I so appreciate our connections here. Given that he really intends to return to climbing (gym and ideally outside), getting good knee flexion is very important. At the moment, swelling is a hold up, the PT said that was typical for the first 2 weeks and to just keep it mobile, but we'll really work on that once there is less swelling. @Pedidoc, we always mention low HR and blood pressure in these situations but it seems to get ignored - we are adults in our 50's - the presumption seems to be that we should be unfit and have a chronic disease or 2.

I was really pleased that T told me he thought the guided imagery recordings I got him were of value and really helped keep him relaxed and more positive when something didn't go as planned. We both love them for relaxation when trying to go to sleep or return to sleep since there has been a fair number of 'up in the night' episodes. Overall, he is sleeping surprisingly well. Very happy about that!

First day of leaving T alone went OK, although when I called yesterday afternoon to say I was heading home he was very happy. With the commute, even if I work only half a day I am away 6-7 hours. He popped up for a quick walk outside when I got home as he was hesitant to do the stairs or the walk alone (he did so today and seems far more chipper too).

I made a yummy shepherds pie last evening topped with garnet yam rather than regular potatoes. Mix of ground elk and turkey and loads of veggies. (Thanks again LB for the link to the Paleo Grub Casseroles!) We were told not much blood was lost, but all the after-care advice says eat some iron containing foods and since we don't eat beef, I opted to add some elk.

Another good morning hike - autumn leaves are coming along nicely and we were having a brief period of clearing between storms. Chance of snow for the weekend at higher elevations, but we've yet to have a freeze...

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:21 pm

Wonderful report on all fronts.  So happy to hear T is progressing nicely.

Love the pic.  Yes, things are starting to slowly turn turn here, just a bit.  Haven’t been cold enough at night yet.

Yes, I usually get strange looks when they ask what meds I take and I say “none”. They can’t believe it.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:09 am

Beautiful picture.

It's great to hear all (more or less) went well and T is on the mend. Good for you for getting your movement in, regardless, not that any of us had any doubt about that. Smile

Happy to help with a useful link from time to time. Wink
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

We did another PT appointment yesterday, very painful as the focus was on getting the quads to fire. T was hurting all afternoon and through the night, so neither of us got much sleep. He is still hurting today. Really hoping he turns a corner with regard to pain soon, but I gather it is normal for the first 2 weeks to be a time of misery. We are doing what we can to reduce the swelling.

I have a PT appointment for myself scheduled on Monday - hoping to sort out the nerve pain that is has me wanting to scream several times a day. I'm pretty convinced it is neuromuscular because I can cause it to start and stop based on movement and how I hold my right hand or if I press on a spot near my scapula. Likely try some dry needling. If that goes nowhere, I'll head back to the doc and pursue from that angle.

Shoe Hill Loop hikes yesterday and this morning. Hoping to do something longer both days on the weekend.

Thinking I will change out summer clothes for fall/winter this weekend which will include bagging up a number of things for donation. Had to make a small fire in the woodstove this morning as the house was chilly and T was freezing. Once that happens, it is time to put away summer dresses I think.

Popped out of the house this morning to see this screech owl in the tree. Fat boy did not get to go outside first thing.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Sorry to hear T is having so much pain. Even he is hurting, he needs to be up and moving as much as possible, using the leg as near normally as he can to walk around the house. From my experience my leg felt about the same on the pain front whether I was walking on it or not. Also I never found a corner to turn, it was a long gradual curve. Experiment with sleeping positions, I found that each of my two surgeries saw me being most comfortable in different positions, and having a nice thick pillow between the legs was very helpful. I also found that our very soft couch was a lot more comfortable than my normal setting on our Sleepcomfort bed, I had to really soften it up.

Hope things improve.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Sorry to hear T is having so much pain. Praying it starts resolving quickly. I’ve never been there, but Rig gives good advice. You want to keep the movement through the pain. Not fun, but better than less movement when he is healed.

Hugs to you. I know just how hard it is to care for someone day and night and still try to function. You’re doing great!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:57 am

I hope the pain gets better soon! It will soon be a distant memory!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 pm

I appreciate the advice, Rig. Yep, he is still moving and working on the exercises. Pre-surgery so many of the people we talked to made comments about how healthy and fit T is and there was clearly a presumption that everything was going to be great. We bought into it and hoped for the best.  Meanwhile, our long-time physical therapist had told us to expect the first 6 weeks to be hell. He might have the right of it. Anyway, T is making noticeable progress in several areas so I am confident we will get there. Pain is depressing and our weather just turned icky, so it will be a bit of a challenge to keep his spirits up.

NM, Val, thanks for the support!

Last edited by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Pretty good weekend overall. I did those slightly longer hikes both days. A little dismayed to find I lost more fitness ground than I expected this summer. Those morning mountain bike rides just didn't push me except for the short (10-15 minute) hill climb, and even the climb was more about heart rate than legs. Anyway, I was a little tired upon returning from the hike (about 5.8 miles out and back with about 630 ft of elevation gain) although that resolved quickly each day.

Made a yummy veggie soup as we've finished the shepherds pie. I'm trying to have really good stuff in the fridge for T to eat. Unfortunately his comfort foods tend to be bread based so he is packing in the carbs and is not happy about seeing his belly expand. Also, he is eating a few servings of fruit each day to counteract the meds... more carbs. Recovery won't only be about the knee...

Had a good visit with my fav physical therapist today. He is calling it thoracic outlet syndrome - he says that is basically a 'junk term' but given the pain spots, trigger points, and nerve pain, it covers it [and likely works for insurance purposes]. Mine is unusual for the nerve pain in my jaw, but... Have appointments set up for the next 4 weeks as a starting point. Hopefully something will work as it's like having an evil dental hygienist scraping her tools across my gums multiple times a day.

First snow of the season Sunday. This was a brief bit of sunshine before the clouds moved in again.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I'm confident you and T will be back in top shape quickly.  Love your pics
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm

That picture is beautiful!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Keeping you both in my thoughts for pain relief and recovery.

Love the pic. Glad you could get the hikes in and test your fitness.

Speaking of lost cardio fitness, I’d love to have record of getting in 10 flights of stairs today. I just did 4 in a row and wow I got my HR up and was out of breath. I think the fitbit got the HR about right. Didn’t check it with a timer and counting, but I will next time. Still have 3 flights to go. Smile

Hope all of T’s appts go well tomorrow.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:00 am

M2M wrote:Have appointments set up for the next 4 weeks as a starting point. Hopefully something will work as it's like having an evil dental hygienist scraping her tools across my gums multiple times a day.

Ouch! *fingers crossed* for some solace.

Gorgeous picture!

M2M wrote:Made a yummy veggie soup as we've finished the shepherds pie. I'm trying to have really good stuff in the fridge for T to eat. Unfortunately his comfort foods tend to be bread based so he is packing in the carbs and is not happy about seeing his belly expand. Also, he is eating a few servings of fruit each day to counteract the meds... more carbs. Recovery won't only be about the knee...

Good thinking on the healthy food. As much as I love veggie soup... try to get in plenty of protein during the healing phase. He needs it (and it probably won't hurt you either).

On the comfort foods: what isn't there, he can't eat... not so much the fruit (vit C to go with the collagen to speed healing), but there's much better choices for him than bread... know the book by dr. Peter Osborne: No grain, no pain?

https://myersdetox.com/transcript-173-no-grain-no-pain-with-dr-peter-osborne/

I understand he's under plenty of stress right now, everything hurting and all, but what if he ditched sugars/grains to see if the pain might ease somewhat? You're both tough cookies but maybe he'd give it a chance. 6 weeks of hell doesn't sound too good, to put it mildly.

((HUGS))
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:54 am

I have to second LB, when I eat grains I can feel it in my joints.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 33 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next