Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 30 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Vh67 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:39 pm

I also had general anesthesia for both my knee replacements. My surgeon recommended against the nerve block because in some people it can make it difficult to get up and moving as quickly as they want you to after the surgery.

Also, I would recommend getting a bottle of prune juice. It was a life saver for me after all the other laxatives. I would drink a glass as hot as I could stand it.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Sounds like a productive weekend.

So glad you could go to that class on TKR and gain even more info.

I feel the same way about the Charge 3. While I do use the pay feature on my phone, I would not on the watch. I don’t need my stuff out there further. I only have item attached to my phone.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 pm

Vh67 wrote:I also had general anesthesia for both my knee replacements.  My surgeon recommended against the nerve block because in some people it can make it difficult to get up and moving as quickly as they want you to after the surgery.  

Also,  I would recommend getting a bottle of prune juice.  It was a life saver for me after all the other laxatives.  I would drink a glass as hot as I could stand it.  

How did I miss that you've had your knees replaced? Had no idea, which I think, implies the surgeries were successful - good.

With Rig having good results as well, it makes me feel more confident about the whole thing. Our surgeon works for the US Olympic Ski Team - although I think it unlikely that many of those team members have had TKR...

Prune juice - noted. And warming it helps?
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:44 pm

During the class, the implication was that the surgeon and anesthesiologist would consult with T but we definitely got the impression they would decide what was best. We will certainly make sure they know of the fast metabolism factor. We have a short list of pre-op notes...

Made up a calendar today which in turn spurred action on some must do's, causing some grumbling about some things that didn't get done because in the big scheme, they are less important except to the grumpy, very narrowly focused employee. We have very different world views and responsibilities. I've been aiding him a great deal and doing a lot of related support but that must stop in favor of other things. More grumbling in my future...

Got in a very nice 3 mile walk on campus. Need a new brain candy book though, the one I had was terrible and another might be good but wasn't what I wanted to listen to today, so I popped up an old favorite.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 am

I'm surprised with the crutches for home recommendation for T post surgery. Better have him practice up in advance using them for the stairs, it seems like an awkward task to me.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:06 am

Glad you got out for that nice walk today. A good break from Mr./Ms grumpy I’m sure.

I need to do a calendar, a lose one. Thanks for the reminder.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:17 am

I had both my knees replaced at 42 (9 years ago) and it was a life changing event. I had them replaced 3 months apart. I am surprised with the crutches too. I used my walker to steady myself getting up and to carry things. Crutches would be more difficult but I was not in great shape when I had my surgery.

The prune juice did work better hot. It was sort of funny. My first two home nurses had me taking all sorts of chemical laxatives with no success. The third went out to her car, where she had a stash of prune juice, heated up a mug of it for me and had me drink it down quickly. It worked within an hour and kept things working the rest of my time on pain meds. And i think it is tasty!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 pm

I'm thinking I'll buy a bottle of prune juice and stash it in the root cellar for just in case.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Pretty good day. It was too late to bicycle this morning and I was going to do my hill sprint hill as that takes only 30 minutes or so when T said he wanted to do the Snowcone. I went with him instead. He bicycled to the base while I power hiked over wearing the mountaineering boots. Garmin did a bit better are reading HR this time. Such a hit or miss thing. I really hope the Charge 3 is better. Nice hike and good talk -

T has been reading a book about helping/communicating with aging parents. His mom is failing rapidly as she really has no goals. The kids are all frustrated by her apathy. Not sure it is possible to change at this point. She makes comments about 'getting weaker every day' and she may well be, she has stopped exercising and eats very poorly. Her husband will have been dead for 2 years at the end of the month. I am surprised, I really thought she would build a life for herself after he died, but that just hasn't been the case.

Thinking I'll browse the book in advance of going to see my parents in about a week. My dad is vigorous and staying active, but my mom varies a lot. I was really pleased to have her tell me that she was recently fitted for a knee brace and when asked what her 'goal' was for the brace, she had a good answer - she wants to work up to walking around her block.

Got quite a bit done today and made travel and hotel arrangements for some upcoming events. Grumpy employee sounded like he was about to give up. He probably should have retired for real rather than moving to part-time. He is stubborn, but I won't be hugely surprised if he changes his mind. If things don't improve with our vendor, he just might give up. Mixed bag as far as I'm concerned. He is really good at what he does, sometimes isn't as nice as he ought to be to clients, and can be hell on coworkers. Mostly, we all just blow him off when he is a jerk and mostly he isn't a jerk to clients.

Midday walk to tackle an errand, but I definitely took the long way to the store as it was a lovely day out and I needed the break.

My real food has all been good, but I've got to stop eating so much extra crap!

And one day soon I need to sort out the toothache/sinus/nerve problem as it is getting worse again... I don't like my current sudafed/ibuprofen scheme.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Happy to hear you have snowcone done for Sept. This way T may not have to mess up his streak.

Your mom has a good goal. That’s awesome. Like your MIL my folks never kept active and it’s showing, so very sad.

Your grumpy employee sounds a lot like mine. However, mine is no where near retirement, full time. He good with customers, but his co-worker personality leaves a lot to be desired.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Rough day to end a rough week, although there were a couple of bright spots and the possibility of some excellent news next week. Hoping to win against bureaucracy on that one.

Had planned to walk to Whole Foods, but things kept happening and then it was raining... we are supposed to be done with rain but apparently not. In the end I decided to work straight through and I'll just leave earlier than I would have otherwise. Maybe walk to a couple of nearby stores instead of driving everywhere after work since I have a boatload of errands before the weekend.

Chores and bicycling at home tomorrow I think, then rock climbing on Sunday to celebrate T's birthday which is Monday. I have to work since I'll be off so much over the next couple of months between the surgery and getting him to PT appointments. We were trying to come up with something yummy I could make, but all of our old favorites seem to have cheese and he has been doing really well since he he got serious about avoiding all dairy. Dang it! He may just get non-dairy ice cream and we'll call it good.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:45 am

You can't go wrong with a good steak and sides, IMHO.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:01 am

+1 to Pedi’s dinner. YUM

NadaMoo is an excellent ice cream alternative made with Coconut Milk. Not wild that it has Agave for sweetener, but for an occasional treat, like a birthday it can fit the bill.

Here’s hoping you get in all your planned play for the weekend.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:53 am

Meant2move wrote:End of September - we'll be past his birthday, my visit to my mom for her bday, and my bday, then do the surgery on Sept 25.

Lots of September birthdays... my DH + SIL are also having theirs next week... just quoted it for a reminder on the surgery date... which happens to be my best friends' birthday. I miss her... Sad

Happy Birthday to T! Have a great day Monday!
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Pedidoc wrote:You can't go wrong with a good steak and sides, IMHO.

I appreciate the thought, but we don't eat beef. (Long running protest against public lands grazing). Many a meal made up of chicken/pork/turkey/fish and veggie sides though, and you are right, always tasty.

----

In the afternoon he sent a text to tell me that he would really like a brownie and ice cream at some point during the weekend, so there was my mandate...

We actually only eat together on weekends, but try to be supportive on one another's dietary needs. I eat little grain and some dairy, he has declared that life without bread is not worth living, misses cheese terribly, but feels so much better without it that he mostly avoids it now. As the shopper, I buy foods he likes and make sure that he has good food that I've prepared (quality meats, lots and lots of veggies - he gets a salad every day that I have one) and life is pretty amicable.

Narrowminded wrote:+1 to Pedi’s dinner. YUM

NadaMoo is an excellent ice cream alternative made with Coconut Milk. Not wild that it has Agave for sweetener, but for an occasional treat, like a birthday it can fit the bill.

Here’s hoping you get in all your planned play for the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've bought that brand before and he does like it.

---
In the end we ended up with a sort of casserole. T has fond memories of casseroles from childhood - I do not, so I am always a bit challenged to come up with the taste he remembers. This one I made up as I went along, but it turned out OK and he was pleased. Chicken, loads of veggies, little bit of GF pasta, tasty sauce made from the broth from cooking the chicken.

Honestly, my childhood memory is tuna casserole which I think was probably made with a can of tuna, a can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup, frozen peas, macaroni noodles, some cheese to goop it together, and sprinkled with potato chip crumbs on top before baking. I cringe just thinking about it, but did jokingly suggest I put a potato chip crust on what I made. Happily, he nixed the chips since I didn't have any...

Brownies and ice cream were also on the menu.

Excellent mt bike ride Saturday. I warned T I would be leaving him in the dust once we got to the hill climb as I wanted to improve on my time. I knocked a minute off! Quads did a little screaming later in the day.

Rock climbing on Sunday - one of those days where I only managed to climb to the level I needed to which meant I barely scraped by on the moderate route I've done a hundred times, and then when we moved to the hard route, I managed to get it clean, but just barely. T did not do well on the hard route and was disappointed. He has been marking some times and things he can do, making notes so that as he is recovering from the surgery, he can note when he is back to where he was... He has a time for our standard bike ride, a time for the snowcone, and wanted to be able to say he was able to do "Raindance" (even if just barely). Instead his note will be that he took tension 3 times on the route. Still, a beautiful day in a beautiful place!
---

Very nice midday walk for me today, but I just checked and while Garmin says I've hit 10k, Fitbit does not... might need to do a quick walk around the block or across some parking lots!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:57 pm

Lovebird wrote:Lots of September birthdays... my DH + SIL are also having theirs next week... just quoted it for a reminder on the surgery date... which happens to be my best friends' birthday. I miss her... Sad

Happy Birthday to T! Have a great day Monday!

Thanks! Yes, lots and lots of September bdays. My stepbrother (we are not close), and many friends. January is a cold month in a lot of the world!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:09 am

Your casserole memories are a bit sad, I am glad you came up with something better able to please your other half.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 am

Sounds like lots of movement yesterday. Shaving off a full minute is HUGE! Congrats!

Good for T taking some notes so he will know where he is physically. Trying to use memory never works very well IMHO

Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

Meant2Move wrote:Chicken, loads of veggies, little bit of GF pasta, tasty sauce made from the broth from cooking the chicken.

That sounds really tasty. Always wondered about the potato chips on top... bet the guys here would like it... not that I'd try. Laughing

And brownies with ice cream for dessert... T's a lucky guy.

In case you'd like some inspiration for next time: https://paleogrubs.com/casserole-recipes

Meant2Move wrote:January is a cold month in a lot of the world!

December is more likely though. Smile Same reason. Not to mention the darkness in winter months...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Lovebird wrote:In case you'd like some inspiration for next time: https://paleogrubs.com/casserole-recipes

Thanks so much! Some of those recipes sound super yummy. As autumn settles in, I will definitely give them a try.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Bureaucracy is winning this week... and it is exhausting. Trying to fire someone, so hoops to jump there, and trying to promote 2 others and hitting some walls. Just keep poking, poking, poking. I did have a win last Friday after a mere 10 months - sheesh!

Had a very good time yesterday for our weekly climbing date. Might be the last one for a while unless we switch things up next week to move it to Thursday. We'll see. T didn't just jump at it when I made the suggestion. Good walk to and from the gym, our temps are toasty again now that the monsoon is over. I tried a scary new route on lead and did well although I didn't make the top and backed down a bit rather than risk a fall. I am not going to get over my "no fall" mindset anytime soon, maybe ever. A good session overall.

Doing another round of laundry today to ensure that we have lots of clean sheets and bedding for those days after surgery. I have gobs of bedding but it hasn't been used in years so it needs to be refreshed. Once this is over, I shall get rid of it now that I see how much extra we have. Silly! A coworker whose husband just had a hip replacement went through far greater craziness than we are because he tested positive for staphylococcus and so had to do the super cleaning soap for 7 days prior to surgery rather than just 3 days. I'd have gone nuts with that scheme.

It is going to be a windy campus walk, but totally necessary after the next scheduled conference call...

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:14 pm

Happy to hear your climb went well since you may not be doing that for a while.

I hear you on too many sheets. About a year ago now I went through my linen closet. OMG the extra sheets there, all different bed sizes. Bagged them up and took them to the donation box.

Not sure if you got an email, but since I ordered from. Best Buy, got notification that the release date for the Charge 3 was moved to the 7th. Due date for me is now the 8th.

Hope the conference call wasn’t as bad as you thought and that you did get a good walk after.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 am

Good to catch up on your journal.

Glad "T" is scheduled. I recall at my Cold Knife Cone surgery the need to wash, wash, wash and I believe even it was suggested to use clean sheets prior and after. My VA DS explained that there are some pretty unsanitary people who show up at surgeries.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 pm

+1 to PPam's comment on dirty folks showing up for surgery, our hospital crew made it obvious that there are a lot of folks who think they can wallow in the mud and then show up for their surgery. I didn't have to do the special soap until the night before the surgery, had to use it then and then again before we left for the hospitial. the old ounce of prevention policy.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:23 pm

Same here.  Special soap the night before and again before I left in the morning every surgery.  I came home to fresh sheets, which not only kept things clean, but made me feel good.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 33 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next