Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:51 pm

Lazy weekend once we were home. We had rain yesterday! It was wonderful. I puttered about in it a little and thoroughly enjoyed hearing the sound on the roof. Made meatloaf which turned out yummy.

T is having some knee issues of his own, lots of swelling and pain. Hopefully he made an appointment today to see someone about it. Meanwhile, he has absconded with all the knee braces... my midday walk will be to a sporting goods store to get an extra one as I'm not quite done with the need for a brace.

I did a Shoe Hill Loop this morning, it was foggy and very nice to be out.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:10 pm

M2M, how awesome that you have tried ice climbing!!!!!! The pix are fantastic, as is your report. Well done on not kicking yourself with crampons, I would imagine that is one of the key skills to master early on. Personally, the hot tub session sounds like the most enjoyable part....to me. Welcome home safe.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Sounds like an awesome trip. I’m glad you had fun and the pics are so beautiful. Really happy it didn’t bother your knee to badly.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greensprout on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:43 pm

Amazing photos. I am in awe and jealous!
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am

Thanks for the story and pictures. Yikes you guys are quite the climbers!

Beautiful ice.

I had wanted to visit the Ice Caves in the UP this year but have failed to make a plan. Glad you had fun and sorry that T is now having knee issues too. Darn.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks all. For all that I was unsure about going beforehand, I am so glad I did as it proved to be an excellent getaway and had that necessary bit of adventure.  One last picture that better shows the nature of the ice park.

In addition to the 2 climbers in the foreground, there are 2 dark figures on the ice - 2 separate climbs.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Good walk midday, I don't love the new knee brace as it is not as good as others I've used, but it will do for wearing throughout the day when I need only limited support. T has an appointment this morning for his knee. He is envisioning dire things - surgery or knee replacement. Perhaps...

Did really well through the day with not snacking, but stopped by Walgreens to pick an Rx and stupidly picked up those little bags of jelly beans. Oh well, today is a new day.

Depending upon how his knee feels, I'll either meet T at the rock gym for our weekly climbing date, or just end up taking a walk.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:44 pm

How’s T’s knee? Is it as bad as he thought?

Those stinkin’ jelly beans. Yup a new day.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Well if I'm gimpy, he is gimpier! Sounds like the longer term surgical solution is knee replacement (no cartilage left to clean up arthroscopically), but in the short term he went for a steroid shot and a knee brace with some structure to it, and plans for physical therapy to try and strengthen the leg appropriately.

Meanwhile, we nixed the climbing gym date for today, may try again on Thursday depending upon how he is feeling. I went for a longer campus walk instead. Daffodils are poking up and thinking about blooming.

Trying a different mindfulness app, "headspace" instead of "calm". So far, I like that the sessions are shorter and navigation seems more straightforward. If I really like it, I'll consider a subscription, but I found with calm that I kept bumping into them really pushing the pay for it stuff when all I wanted to do was get to a short meditation.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:22 pm

So sorry about the knee situation for T. Sounds like a good plan to start.

I had trouble with calm until I found the “timed meditation”. It’s free and many choices of length. The only thing you hear is whatever background sound you choose. It took some finagling to find it. I’ interested in what you think of headspace.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:23 am

That last picture is so impressive. If you had not mentioned it I would not have noticed those 2 darker figures. Such a challenge and adventure is not the word I'd use.

Hope "T" can avoid surgery for now. Better to get it over and done with....right Rig?
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Narrowminded wrote:So sorry about the knee situation for T. Sounds like a good plan to start.

I had trouble with calm until I found the “timed meditation”. It’s free and many choices of length. The only thing you hear is whatever background sound you choose. It took some finagling to find it. I’ interested in what you think of headspace.

Thanks, NM. I hadn't seen that part of Calm, if I decide I don't like Headspace, I'll give it a try. For whatever reason, Calm makes my Garmin go bonkers. I haven't figured out what and where that setting is, but my watch buzzes, pulses actually, while using Calm. I have to turn bluetooth off. I should just poke around more and figure out the real problem, but...

--- just curious, Pam, if not "adventure" what word would you use?

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:17 pm

I need to back away, far away, from wheat again. Between sandwiches on the weekend and bagels since our return, I've been having something most days. Over time it does not do this body any good. This morning I put the bagel back in the bag and had potatoes with my eggs instead - a step forward.

Given the knee situation, I was half hoping to head out for a 'by myself hike' this morning, but T suggested an upper body based DVD workout instead, so I stayed in with him. Arms, shoulders, triceps all got a serious dumbbell workout, and there were a lot of pushups as well. Getting more serious about weight training would be good for both of us, maybe this is the opportunity we need to focus on that.

I will walk in a while to get some steps in and to enjoy some outdoor time. Wind is supposed to start blowing later bringing a small storm through. Sure hope it drops some rain or snow!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:58 pm

That is weird that Calm on your phone would bother your Garmin. Yeah maybe shut off the Bluetooth during use.

I finally found the timed meditation, just as I was about to delete the app. I read a review and it talked about timed. So I opened the app and was determined to find it. Basically on the home page, the + in the middle bottom, if you press that it says meditate it brings up thumbnails of different ones. You have to scroll down to find the one that says Timed. On my phone at least it’s green. Starts with 1 min, then I think 3, then 5 that I use then 10 and so on.

Yeah, working on my weights too. DS put me through a good metcon yesterday. Hope you got that walk in.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:22 am

Great pictures. Wow! And your stories are always written as though we were there with you. Wink

So nice that the 2 of you had such a great weekend, full of adventure and fun.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:09 am

M2M---my mind is numb right now. I'll try to think of a descriptive word. Smile
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 pm

Thank you, Lovebird.

I braved the wind yesterday and decided to add purpose to my walk so headed to WF. Picked up more canned beets for T and more guac for the both of us. Enjoyed the walk very much despite the buffeting. 3.6 miles by taking 'the long way'.

We are getting snow at the rate of about 10 flakes per hour but the wind is steady and fierce. My head/sinuses are not happy, and I'm a little bit dizzy. Does not bode well for our rescheduled climbing gym date today.

Weight is up by a few pounds, must stop the treats!!!!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Those pictures are amazing! You are my super hero!
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 am

Vh67 wrote:Those pictures are amazing!  You are my super hero!

+1

M2M, you've amazed me for years. cheers
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:23 am

LoonieJ wrote:
Vh67 wrote:Those pictures are amazing!  You are my super hero!

+1

M2M, you've amazed me for years. cheers

Wow, just wow!!
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:31 pm

LOL! Thanks ladies. A good sense of adventure goes a long way.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 pm

We had our rescheduled climbing gym date. We also had a cold blowing snow storm - high wind, wet snow. I briefly considered driving to the gym, but in my new scheme of 'appreciate whatever moisture we get in hopes of getting more', I put on a warm jacket, hat, gloves and rain jacket and set out. I should have changed my shoes... hope I didn't ruin a favorite pair of boots as they got soaked! Reached the gym and T wasn't there - he was delayed by weather, so I changed out of my wet things and stretched.

Good climbing session, including almost (so close) onsighting a new lead route. I wimped out... I will get is next time for sure. 3 leads, 9 routes total.

I put my wet things back on and walked back to the office - more cold and wet. Rare for me, I took the most direct route back which left me short on steps. I was also pretty chilled all afternoon as I didn't have dry things to put on once here, so I just layered on a sweater and took off my wet shoes and socks. I stuffed my boots with paper and left them to dry, I hope they will be OK. Stupid not to have changed into the winter boots I keep in the office for days like this.

I was a little dismayed and whiny when I got home and the house was cold so I just went to bed and piled on the covers, no jogging in place to get to 10k. T asked if I was mad? No, just freezing cold.

Happily all is well today. I know one does not get a cold from being cold, but I do think an extended chill weakens the immune system and whatever is lurking then has a better chance to slip in.

Sunshine today before the next storm arrives on Saturday. With limited time, we did a walk up and down the canyon this morning. T wore the new, sturdier brace and we did not go fast, but it was a lovely, bluebird sky day and it was so nice to be outside with my guy.

I'll do another WF walk to get some meat to cook on the weekend and more beets. Sheesh, I just bought 4 cans and T says he is running low? Really? That's OK, I like a reason to walk somewhere. Some days it feels a bit aimless to walk around campus yet again.

Current plan is to take another stab at getting the taxes done and home chores/cooking on Saturday, then likely meeting a friend at the climbing gym on Sunday to play a little as our weather is forecast to be dreary.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Sounds like a good day aside from getting thoroughly chilled from being wet a good part of the day.

Love hearing about your canyon walks. Due to DH I can’t get to those, but man I live way to close to the city. Next place I live will be more rural with more to do outside.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Next place I live will be more rural with more to do outside.
Oh, I so hope you get this opportunity!

It is the time of year when we can take part in a "healthy" incentive program to reduce very slightly our cost for health insurance. Once again I got to take the survey and be told to eat low fat and not to forget those "healthy whole grains". Um.... no. On the otherhand, I rocked the physical activity part, and since I did all those pesky health visits last autumn, I quickly met the first standard for the bonus. Assuming the tracker pairings work I'll knock out the next set of points in no time.

Good walk to WF, unbelievably, they had only 1 can of beets. Hopefully they will resupply quickly. Picked up another half turkey breast and some thighs. The last turkey turned out so well (tender, not dry) and makes a nice pile of meat for leftovers. Hope I can recreate it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:17 am

I forget why the beets...go on. ha

Don't cha hate it when you don't take the time to take care of yourself? And your boots?

This stressful society we live in does not help....hurry, get your steps in, hurry do this, hurry do that.

perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next