Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Greensprout on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Continue to be in awe of your physical pursuits Smile
Greensprout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:34 am

Work around the house is great exercise. Waking up in the night to move cement packages....sounds like when I go camping and the towels are on the line....except towels are easy peasy.

You show just how strong you are all the time. good going.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Wow M2M you certain did get in your lift heavy things this weekend, I’m tired and sore just reading about all of it.

I’d love to come play in your yard, sounds like fun. One of my fav shows is American Ninja Warrior.  I think all the time if I was 30-35 years younger I would so try to do all of that.

I love ANW too! We don't have TV so I don't get to see it other than Facebook highlights, but I am so amazed at what those people can do with their bodies.

--
Thanks Pam and Greensprout!

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 pm

I am so frustrated with the medical establishment, and I am going against medical advice to an extent. I feel like it is a considered and reasonable decision and I've talked it over with T extensively, we've done research and reviewed reports, and he agrees with me. I anticipate push-back that will last over time and that makes me a little crazy. I hate how hard it is to be an informed consumer when it comes to health care, and the inappropriate market forces at work.

It's a climbing gym date day which should be fun, apt to be a breezy walk and it might rain which is a wonderful thing - we are so desperately dry.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I agree with you regarding the medical establishment. I am extremely non-allopathic. I do agree that medicine has its place. If you cut off your leg or are having a heart attack then medicine is your best option. But for the most part I think that you're correct in that there are a lot of market forces at play.

It's really too bad that doctors see the disease (or whatever ails you) and not the person.

But good for you for questioning and researching. You, my dear, will at least be an informed patient.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:33 pm

I would love to show off muscles in any form. Got to build them first, though. It's great that visually you show how much you put into a healthy movement lifestyle. Something to be envied.

Indeed, life changing. I love the fact that in a positive mode everything we do for health DOES impact our bodies. May take time, but, our bodies are just ready to grab nutrients to build us a healthy vehicle.

Congrats on the 24 hour hike. Love reading your trip reports.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:I would love to show off muscles in any form.   Got to build them first, though.   It's great that visually you show how much you put into a healthy movement lifestyle.  Something to be envied.  

Indeed, life changing.  I love the fact that in a positive mode everything we do for health DOES impact our bodies.   May take time, but, our bodies are just ready to grab nutrients to build us a healthy vehicle.

Congrats on the 24 hour hike.  Love reading your trip reports.

So nice to hear from you! I hope things are going more smoothly in your world, and yes, you will build those muscles!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:41 pm

ONTARIO wrote:I agree with you regarding the medical establishment. I am extremely non-allopathic. I do agree that medicine has its place. If you cut off your leg or are having a heart attack then medicine is your best option. But for the most part I think that you're correct in that there are a lot of market forces at play.

It's really too bad that doctors see the disease (or whatever ails you) and not the person.

But good for you for questioning and researching. You, my dear, will at least be an informed patient.

Thank you for the support. My workplace offers incentives for "healthy behaviors" but they are very focused on medical visits and testing. I find myself wanting to say give me credit for the fact that I've built up scads of sick leave because I never use mine and give me credit for all the ways I find to move my body and for the fact that I don't eat crap food. (Instead of that last point, I always get counseled to look for low-fat options and to eat more healthy whole grains...) Anyway, I find I am happier staying away from doctors save for pesky injuries and the odd serious acute infection - note to self - remember this the next time they try and pester you into an annual exam!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Really good session at the climbing gym. Good walk over, kind of gray and blustery - honestly, I wouldn't have minded if the skies had opened up and it rained on me. We were a little slow to start as we were talking with a fellow ultra-runner... hmm, struggling a bit with that phrase since I so rarely actually run, but ultra-walker is that bit awkward!

Anyway, our favorite warm-up climb has been taken down, but a new good alternative was up so we enjoyed that, then moved on to another route that sometimes I enjoy and sometimes I detest... it is weird how different a climb can feel depending what's up with my body on any given day. After 3 to warm up I moved to the lead wall. I really struggle with efficiently clipping bolts. T made some suggestions on what I might try, so today, rather than pushing on a variety of lead climbs, I stayed with a moderate route that allowed me to think about and try some different schemes for dealing with this clipping thing. Actual training, if you will, rather than just playing and challenging myself. Of course, I couldn't resist one round on a hard overhanging route, but that too worked out as I was just a bit smoother at clipping the bolts and on that route, it really makes a huge difference.

Anyway, 5 leads, then I finished myself off with a very challenging top rope which I've never successfully completed before today - very pleased with myself for that.

On my walk back to the office, I finished up my brain candy book and since I didn't have Body Beliefs on the device in my pocket, I switched back to "Finding Ultra" by Rich Roll. I had hopes for this book, but I've set it aside countless times - way too much focus on his drinking troubles and then on how eating a purely plant based diet (vegan but he doesn't care for all the things that word implies) changed his life, mind, and body. That true believer thing gets annoying, but my mistake for buying the book. Anyway, T recently listened and suggested there were a few good points to it, so I'm trying to make my way through (skipping ahead for chunks of time). I totally agree that plants are an important component of a healthy lifestyle, but I'm not giving up my eggs, meat, and dairy. (Wow, I sound really close-minded there and I'm not, but I'm not going vegetarian, let along vegan in this lifetime.)

Rats, the jicama bites in my veggie pile are a bit "off". On a happier note, the pulled pork topping the pile is outstanding!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:44 pm

I’m pretty much anti establishment medicine as well. Of course there are things I must use for DH, but even when he has an issue, I try my natural methods first. Must be doing dsomething right with him

Actually I’ve be lectured from my old PCP because I had not been in for 3 years, well I wasn’t sick. Then I had to go regularly for a while as I was taking Celexa for anxiety. Once I got off of that, i’ve stayed away again.

As to the low fat/grain lecture I think I would say, well let’s see my BF is x from your pic I can tell well within prescribed limits, I don’t have this that or the next thing, I think I’ve got the diet and exercise thing down.

Sounds like some great climbing today.

I wish you could see a full ANW, it’s crazy awesome.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:01 am

Meant2Move wrote:
Thank you for the support.  My workplace offers incentives for "healthy behaviors" but they are very focused on medical visits and testing. I find myself wanting to say give me credit for the fact that I've built up scads of sick leave because I never use mine and give me credit for all the ways I find to move my body and for the fact that I don't eat crap food. (Instead of that last point, I always get counseled to look for low-fat options and to eat more healthy whole grains...)  Anyway, I find I am happier staying away from doctors save for pesky injuries and the odd serious acute infection - note to self - remember this the next time they try and pester you into an annual exam!

Exactly!!! Having healthier habits to prevent a disease is way more effective than having med appointments. Keep setting the example, M2M!
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Right - don't let conventional medicine dictate our lives - the goal is always health!

I finished Body Beliefs this morning. Overall, good book. I liked the section on meditation - I really should give that a go, I know it would be good for me. Seib makes many excellent points throughout and finishes strong with the need to change one's mindset before one can really change your body.

Since a good bit of the book didn't apply to me (not a failed dieter, not trying to lose weight/fat, already quite comfortable with myself and body), I was really paying attention when something pinged and I'd feel that little bit defensive - trying to examine where that came from and why. There is always room for improvement and I've a number of things to work on.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Very disappointed with the Garmin Vivosmart 3 watch - mostly the HR functions, although the semi-dysfunctional menu system makes me rather crazy too.

I very rarely do high intensity cardio. I will happily walk/hike forever; put a mountain in front of me and I want to get to the top no matter what it takes, weights, monkey bars, playground equipment, even nice grass for cartwheels - yep, I'm all over it! And now and then I'll happily run for a few miles, although not fast.

This morning with the snow (We had SNOW!!!!!!) I knew the roads would be nasty and given the length of my commute (about an hour) I decided that rather than workout at home with T and then risk being late if the roads were dreadful, I'd head to town and if I got there in good time, I'd workout at the gym. I've been wanting to push myself just to see how I compare to past performance heartrate-wise. It was also a chance to see how the watch did with higher heart rates.

The HR functions were a total bomb or else I've become a truly superior physical specimen... I'm banking on the former. HR should have been in the 160's at peak levels and likely averaged high 140's to 150's, instead I got an average of 101.

Next time I want to test myself, I know to use a chest-strap.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

M2M i really had no HR comparisons, but at times I have felt it was thing that annoys me the most are the intensity min. They never seem to work correctly. At the moment, it’s been off and I’m using a different tracker just for steps.

Sorry your testing didn’t go as planned
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Have to share because this made me laugh.

It is hard to set the context up, but it was related to a conversation my spouse and I were having about relationships and finding the right lifetime companion. T tells me, "C, not every man wants a woman who wants death-defying adventure every weekend".

Ah, it is good to be loved!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:50 pm

There's hope for me, then! :]

Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 pm

Love it. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Heuristicfireflower wrote:There's hope for me, then!  :]

Absolutely!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Snow play!  I planted the idea in T's head last night as we went to bed that we should take advantage of the snow to climb  the Snowcone. I gave him the fallback plan of a DVD workout, but figured that unless it was nasty cold or windy, he'd likely opt for the climb.

It was nippy,  a good bit below freezing, but no wind, so we put on our mountaineering boots and hiked up the Snowcone.  Was a little more challenging for the rocks being hidden under snow and in places where the snow drifted, hard going because it was deep.  I would have liked to push for more speed, but more important to hang together and visit.  2 miles round trip and for the short intense part of the climb, 500 feet of elevation gain (it's a 30% grade).

I'll get in a walk later as the sun is out and it is a lovely day.

Must say, yesterday late afternoon and evening devolved into total garbage eating.  Got some stuff going on at work that is worrisome, and when the urge struck, I didn't fight it. It's a new day and I'm moving on!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for showing us your Snowcone Mountain. Is that "T" in the middle of the picture?

What a view to enjoy.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Actually, I'm standing on the Snowcone so you can't see it, but the dark crater that T is walking towards is Shoe Hill. We hike around the base (3.3 miles) when we do the Shoe Hill Loop I often mention. Shoe Hill is more interesting geologically as it has several craters whereas the Snowcone is just a cone, no obvious crater.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Looks pretty sprinkle with powdered sugar. Looks like a fun hill to tackle. Definitely a great workout for legs and ankles. :]
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 pm

Looks beautiful. Sounds like a nice hike too
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Yes, I love where we live, very remote, lots and lots of room to move!

Work has gone from 0 to 60 in rather a rush and I am not responding well. Suddenly 2 out of 3 departments are jumping in opposite directions, the third is in the usual state of semi-chaos, and our annual conference is coming up in 2.5 weeks, oh, and we've committed to spending a week in Utah with MIL. Can't call it Land of Dessert anymore because MIL was just diagnosed as diabetic and so we will have to be the crap food police and try not to have any junk in the house and discourage her from same. Not going to be fun, the woman adores her ice cream and sugar on everything. Took my own little diving into the candy bin yesterday but no more as it left me feeling like crap. Happily, I don't have anything at home and with a 3 day weekend, I will be junk food free.

Did a fairly intense conditioning workout this morning - lots of squats, lunges, push-ups, planks, plank jacks, and other plyometric exercises as well as lots of up and down. It's a gorgeous day although a little bit breezy so I plan to walk to Whole Foods midday to see what looks good for weekend cooking. That walk nets me about 3 miles round trip, it's at the upper limit of what I can do on my lunch hour.

We're hoping to finish up the pole planting for the monkey bars project this weekend, means I have about a foot left to dig in the post hole. That will be non-trivial as it's hard to get the dirt out of the whole at this point since we are trying to keep the hole narrow. Might take a play day on of the 3 days and either go rock climbing outdoors or hit the climbing or bouldering gym. I'm voting for the latter because even though our temps are coming up to warm again, I'm very much a fair weather climber and it won't be that warm.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Oooh, I know, following someone else who doesn't really get it can be frustrating. Hope it's not too trying.

Awesome grocery walk opportunity. Inspired!
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next