Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Page 1 of 28 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next

Go down

Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Another MDA refugee, while doing a massive pile of dishes on the weekend, I was having a little internal debate about starting a journal here. With the announcement that MDA forums are now an archive, no decision needed. And to be honest, I was going to make the move anyway. So far, I like it here!

So, a little about me - I'm 54, loosely primal (lots of veggies and eggs, some meat, some dairy, some fruit & nuts, little grain), married, work full-time, and am serious about movement and active play. My journal tends to be much more about my activities than food as I'm a very boring eater and happily consume much the same thing day after day. I'm far more likely to provide lots of details about my most recent hike than share a recipe.

T (my friend, lover, husband, and companion in adventure) and I have been married since 1987. We live in a log cabin, 30 miles from a small town, and completely off the grid. Surrounded by forest, we do a lot of hiking right out the door. We currently share lodgings with a large black cat that I generally refer to as the fat boy. He does not take offense.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Still on the move... Meant2Move's journal

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:34 pm

I just have to say, the juvenile in my brain gets a laugh every time I look at the header for the Diaries forum:

The Primal Diaries
Be the author of your primal story. Share your dairy here.

I keep reading "share your derriere" but am not quite so juvenile as to post a bum shot!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 pm

Weekend fun started on Friday. T headed off for an adventure in the Grand Canyon with a friend. I was a tad jealous, but couldn't take the time off and it wouldn't have worked well to have 3 people. He and I just might have to go do something similar another day.

But, as I was on my own, I set off on a hike. With the holidays and travel to MIL's house, family visits, etc. I haven't actually been on my own and without noise in my head for eons. When I walk on campus (I work at a University) I generally have an audiobook or music plugged into my head, but when walking in the country, I much prefer nature sounds - or often, my own breathing and internal brain chatter.

I'm also a bit mad for gadgets - I wear a fitbit, since the recent addition of a smartphone in my life generally have Strava going, and I just added a Garmin Vivosmart 3 watch. So this excursion was my first comparison of Fitbit to Garmin and my first attempt at getting Garmin and Strava talking. Basically, it was a bomb on all accounts, but that's OK. Fitbit is reliable and accurate, Strava did its thing, it just didn't work in the way I expected with the Garmin, and the Garmin had some quirks in terms of setup that I found and addressed later, after the hike. It's all about learning, right?

Anyway, excellent hike! Later in town, I took a midday walk to Whole Foods to buy meat. Always love to walk with purpose. Total mileage for the day on walks was about 8 miles plus whatever else I worked in with a couple of after work errands.

Saturday I did more technology experiments, some successful, some not so much. Decided in the end that I did not like how the Garmin and Strava communicate so disconnected them... but I'm still mulling on that one and might reconnect. Anyway, with some additional setup, I have Garmin saying it thinks my Vo2 max is 34 which puts me in the "good" category, puts my "fitness age" at 45 and puts me in the top 35% for my age and gender. Based on what I've seen (and I knew this about wrist based HR monitors) there is some inaccuracy in the HR readings which makes the Vo2 max info a little suspect. But, I am firmly of the opinion that the value (and fun) of such gadgets is for ongoing comparisons and noting improvement or lack thereof. I think some part of the Garmin motto is "beat yesterday". And for me, that is the point. Work hard, improve, try not to get hurt...

Went rock climbing on Sunday. Super fun, and best of all, I climbed really well. We've been doing these weekly climbing gym dates since spring and while my upper body strength and endurance have improved a lot, my outdoor climbing abilities have not shown much improvement. My footwork was really good - better than has been typical, and with more upper body and hand strength/endurance, I was better able to use not only the cracks, but also ledgy face holds that in the past I've ignored.

Chilly hike this morning. Temps well below freezing when we set out, and still below freezing an hour later when we got back to the house. No midday walk as I had to run an errand across town, so I needed to get some intense activity in early.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:25 am

Meant2Move wrote:I just have to say, the juvenile in my brain gets a laugh every time I look at the header for the Diaries forum:

The Primal Diaries
Be the author of your primal story. Share your dairy here.

I keep reading "share your derriere" but am not quite so juvenile as to post a bum shot!

lol, that's funny now that you point it out. I never sounded it out in my head like this, even though I noticed the typo.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:52 am

Good to see you here M2M.

Always fun to read your workout stories and about your weather out there in AZ.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 am

You have an interesting living situation, I look forward to tracking your activities.
Very Happy I so love typos and I saw this one when I initially came over:

"Be the author of your primal story. Share your dairy here."

I don't have any cows, so my dairy story is pretty much non-existent. But I might chip in a diary at some point.

Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Visitors! Excellent - always a treat to have people stop by.

Our weather, which has been shockingly, record settingly (I know, not an actual word) mild, turned frigid overnight. Actually the start of the cold snap was Sunday evening and our high temp on Monday was a good 20 degrees colder than it has been. We are also likely on target for record late first snow - not a record we want to be breaking!

This morning the temp was 3F/-16C when I popped outside. I had to use a pick to break the ice in the water barrel in order to get a bucket of water for the winter bird flock. We have almost no surface water anyway (Colorado plateau), but given that we've had no rain since September, there is really nothing for the wild birds. I am amazed by how quickly they drink what I put out for them.

Today is a climbing gym date, so no morning workout. I'll get in a chilly midday walk to the gym, 90 minutes of climbing, and a chilly walk back which will break up my day nicely.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 pm

M2M - I'm really going to enjoy reading you adventures. I've often thought of living off grid. I dream of someday having a tinyish home and being out in nature. I've always kind of felt that in my bones.

Congrats on all the hiking right out your door - awesome

I have the Garmin vivoactive HR or 2 if you want to look at it that way. It has its quirks. One day will record that I have active minutes, the next with the same time and movement no, but as a general gauge of improvement I really like it. Had a basic fitbit, I do like their platform, but the always off screen messes with me. At 55 I can't read something that only stay on for a few seconds and doesn't respond the way it should to arm movement etc. I think you like the Garmin once you get used to it.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Can I say how nice it is to have a working forum??? Links and functions that work, reasonable ability to see what's new... Thank you!!! (And yes, I should find a more appropriate spot to post this and will do so.)

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:53 pm

Climbing gym date with my best guy today! Was sure glad I had my down parka on as I walked to the gym, gloves too. With a bit of wind, it was very chilly out. Campus is quieting down, this is reading week, next week is finals. Or maybe it was just because it was so chilly out, there were few people out on the sidewalks. I love having campus to myself.

We were excited to see a number of new lead routes. I selected easier routes to warm up on than last week when I did myself in on the second toprope. (Let's see, HFF, you asked what a "flashpump" is in my MDA journal: The forearm dilates with blood (and maybe lymph) because the muscles are overtaxed by overgripping, usually from not warming up properly, but also just because a route is hard, steep or overhanging, and one is desperately clinging so as not to fall (read that last bit with the appropriate intensity, OK?). When the muscles are pumped like that, strength is reduced and the arm feels and may look swollen.)

Three easy routes, then a fun/challenging one with some balancy moves before we moved to the lead wall. T went first on a new, unrated route. He was doing well, but had to hang near the top when he couldn't work out the foot sequence. I decided to start on something easier. I was feeling a bit fearful and I do better to face that feeling on something easier rather than a 'stick it in my face' challenge. I did a new moderate lead, easy, fun, and not remotely desperate. Next I did the unnamed route and while I was there, the route setter popped in to watch. I worked through the tricky spot that stumped T successfully and as he lowered me, T said "Congrats, you just on-sighted a 5.10". Yippee! Two more overhanging routes, including one that I haven't managed to get clean for a couple of weeks but did today, and my arms were spent. Finished myself off with a hard top-rope that I fell on and called it a day. Walked back to work the long way to get a few more steps.

Both Garmin and Fitbit wanted their batteries charged, so I've been pinned to my seat not wanting to wander about without those steps getting counted. Yes, it is silly! The Garmin, which uses a barometer to measure floors was more sensitive to floors while climbing, but overall, I believe it to be less accurate for both floors and steps. It is more generous with steps, likely giving me some based on arm movements. I do like the notifications and move reminders. Given that I have a fairly basic Fitbit (One), it doesn't have those features.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:12 pm

M2M - not savvy on climbing lingo, but it sounds like you had an awesome day.

I loved my fitbit one. When I lost it a second time is when I switched to Garmin. I wish they still sold the one because that is what I'd have. Any wrist worn tracker will give steps for some arm movements, however they miss the steps say when prepping dinner or if you are pushing a shopping cart, carrying something in your tracker arm. I've become quite adept at pushing a cart one handed. And I too stay glued to my seat while it's charging. Smile

Grok on
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:35 am

My BFF's DS in AZ has begun to use something on his phone....and he is walking more and more than usual. Seems to be beneficial to some. And the two of you, M2M and NM, take it a bit farther awaiting a charge to have the best numbers you can. Smile Quite an incentive I say.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:30 pm

DVD workout this morning, first a couple of "power walking" miles, then Cardio Max which is a lot of side lunges, squats, forward and jumping lunges, and some pushups along with other stuff. It is really good for my core. We try and do it once a week, but with holiday travel and other stuff, hadn't done it in a few.

Garmin and phone had a spat and wouldn't sync, took a while but I got them talking again. Forgot to tell the Garmin I was doing a workout this morning, I'm just curious if it would have given me anything interesting. I've yet to get it to register any intensity minutes.

Just realized I need to go to an all day meeting in the valley on Friday. Ick. Guess I'll make a hotel reservation and go.

On a happier note, we are planning a Grand Canyon hike on Sunday, the Tanner trail to the river and out. We were going to do it in September for my birthday but ended up doing the Bright Angel instead. Tanner is a favorite, about 20 miles and around 5000 feet of elevation gain.

Another really cold night. Our house is small and the only source of heat is the woodstove. We generally warm it nicely in the morning and then call it good for the day. When I got home last night, the indoor temp was already down to 60 so I knew it would be chilly by morning. Yep, down to 47 when we got up. Makes it a little hard to get out of bed! Single digit temps again this morning, so again, had to break the ice to give the birds some water.

Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Brrrrrr....it has been unseasonably warm here in Maine as well. We have had no snow, and I don't know the stats but in the seven years I have been here I don't remember going this far into December without snow. We've usually had a storm or two, although generally it melts away.

So nice of you to water the birds. I had stopped feeding as I thought I was going to move before now and I didn't want to abruptly stop feeding in winter. But I've started again as I will be here for awhile. Love watching the them.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Garmin can be very unpredicable with the intensity minutes, I'm learning to ignore that variable. Two different walks today, both with my HR and time enough to gather minutes there and nothing. The other day, I just looked at it and it gave me intensity minutes. Weird.

Wow that was a bit cold. I will let it get down to 60, but I don't think I could tolerate 47. Brave girl you are.

Enjoy that hike.

Grok on my friend!
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Your weather sounds like my last camp. Got down to 32 my last night. That is hard on the nose hairs....IMHO. haha

No way to keep the fire going all night long? I do not envy that if it is so.

I keep my house at 60 since I retired hoping that it would help my body shiver and lose some weight. It may have but I do not want to find out.

Have a fun on Sunday.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Aah,  flashpump sounds unfun when in the middle of a concentrated maneuver.  Thanks for explaining that, M2M.  I'm so glad I'll be able to follow your adventures, here.  Smile
You have sled dogs in your vicinity! How unusual a neighbor! Truly love to read about your experiences and where you live.

Yea, sad about the MDA forum going archive, although I could still post.  I guess it's a warning before they, actually, do it.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Ladies!

I'm surprised to hear you've not yet had snow, TW. I guess I haven't been paying attention really, but figured somewhere in the US must be having a moderately normal winter. The west sure isn't.

Pam, we could do a fire in the evening, and sometimes do, but we have to be careful not to get the house too warm or we don't sleep well. Given the choice, we generally opt for cool - and that sometimes ends up as cold.

I spent some time yesterday looking for a particular post on MDA as I believe I wrote it online and didn't have a copy. Slim chance it is on my iPad I guess, I haven't looked there. Anyway, it was to no avail. I think it got lost that time they did a "reset" and several topics just disappeared. We were chatting a lot about the Joy of Tidy and I know that a thread on that topic got lost. The weekend I wrote the missing post, I was home and doing a cleanout myself. Oh well.

Good campus walk - took the long way around to get to a Joann's to buy a thimble for T, he has a scheme to create a stylus of some sort. I keep giving him pens but he has another idea...
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 am

Need a hint on where to find it? Cool Page 46 of your journal if i"m not mistaken. Wink

I also found another one on KM that you posted in the NTM thread, about your beloved cat Dilly and dealing with your emotions...
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Lovebird wrote:Need a hint on where to find it?  Cool  Page 46 of your journal if i"m not mistaken.  Wink

I also found another one on KM that you posted in the NTM thread, about your beloved cat Dilly and dealing with your emotions...

Oh, you are amazing!!!!!

Thanks, I'm off to grab it.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:58 pm

The wind is howling and it is nasty cold. I cannot make myself get up and go for a walk... wimp! No workout this morning as I attended an "Intro to Avalanche Safety" meeting last night so I got home late so I got up late and then had to prep to leave town. Excuses!

But, I am headed to Phoenix, so maybe I can focus on getting out of town in time to get somewhere down where it is warm and walk there. Yes... that shall be my plan. If I must go to the big city, I shall take total advantage.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Yeah, it is an adjustment for me when weather changes.  Now, I do love the seasonal differences and the excuse to wear winter outerwear (Eddie Bauer is the bomb).

Curious about the stylus design. Art folks are always looking for drawing, inking rigs to use.

Last edited by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Got out of town sort of reasonably, drove south through a "police incident" - guessing someone escaped from prison because the highway signs said "Call 911 if you see a hitchhiker" and "Don't pick up hitchhikers". They had closed the rest area bathrooms as a result - eek, I had need of that facility.

Got to the outlet mall and walked around after using the facility. Not warm... but far nicer than it was in town. Was sort of looking for kid gifts, there are 5 (great) nieces and nephews under age 6 who are fun to shop for. Didn't find anything suitable, but did find a killer sale on Pearl Izumi running shoes. PI is not producing running shoes any more so everything that still exists has been marked down to super prices. I've worn PI's for the past 3 or 4 R2R2R's, and much of the training beforehand. I bought a pair of road shoes instead of trail as I want something for Across the Years and road shoes make better power walking shoes than trail because there is less focus on heel stability. I'm pretty excited about the bargain.

My hotel is right on the canal paths so I'll go out in the morning and give the shoes a good 3-4 mile break-in walk, then go to the meeting I'm here for. Hoping to hit Trader Joe's after the meeting as we are running low on supplies of a couple of their products that we really like.

Well, it is late and I need to color my hair and I still need about 2000 steps to finish out the day and hit the minimum goal on my fitbit. Garmin will be there shortly as it racks up more steps. A little bit of dancing should take care of the fitbit problem nicely!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Good walk this morning - 3.6 at sub 13 minute mile pace. Chilly though! Meeting... TJ's - got the goods, and made it back to town. Groceries - Annie's talk of pork cracklings is making me think pulled pork is on the menu, then home for the weekend. Wood gathering and chores, hiking at the Canyon on Sunday. Should be good.

If you are reading this, I hope your weekend is awesome!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:34 pm

Wow sounds like a really productive trip for you. Ow sure how you power walk that quickly but I the cold it really helps.

Have an awesome weekend yourself
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 28 1, 2, 3 ... 14 ... 28  Next