Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Page 33 of 42 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37 ... 42  Next

Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am

Your hike sounds delightful. We often geocache very far into the bush so I understand about not being able to do anything but walk back out even if tired. Do you mark waypoints with your phone? We always have a GPS with us as we geocache but just wondering if you do this "just in case".

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Empty Re: Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again

Post by perennialpam on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:45 am

Annie, that is quite a long walk for a newbie. Wow.

I never put aside that amount of time when home to hike. I should.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:43 pm

Sounds wonderful! I find solo hiking very different than with another - both are great, but alone vs not puts my head in a very different place. Keep on adventuring!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Shelley, another solo camper!  You and Pam make me feel likeI have been missing out on something wonderful.

Ontario, I'm not sure what you mean by marking waypoints? Yesterday's tramp was on a well known and mapped trail with plenty of landmarks such as huts, bridges, ladders and even  signposts.  And of course the waterfall, which I almost forgot to mention!!!  Sometimes we are on lesser known trails, but we are never completely bush-bashing  (oh, except for that once we will never forget).  I am reluctant to have GPS on my phone, I prefer not having tabs kept on me. The time we went to the plane wreck, I had my daughter look up our position and it was more or less where I had thought it would be on the map, which was gratifying.

Pam, we are not newbies.  This was one of our longer efforts but we do usually put aside the whole day.  About 7 hours is our optimum length.  Three seems barely worth it and 12 is too many.  We are also limited by driving time, as to do a through hike means shuffling cars at both ends of the day which can use up valuable daylight and energy. This time, my dh dropped me off at one end, picked us both up at the other, and then drove my friend back to her car (while I went home for a shower), so that helped a LOT.

M2M, I will most certainly keep on adventuring.  And I will consider going alone some time. I walk alone, sometimes, in the domain or on the beach, but have only been in the bush a couple of times and it is a bit nerve making.

Last edited by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Annie...I meant more so that you know where you are, with geographic co-ordinates, should you need help. I was thinking of the worst case-scenario should you get hurt and your hiking companion not being as geographically savvy as you.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Ok, we would just have to describe our position in relation to those landmarks eg the second ladder from the main river, or half an hour below the falls, etc.

As for geographically savvy, haha, we are getting better but we have had some very confusing discussions at times.  We really do need to improve our compass skills.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:36 pm

First moment when you can see down into the swamp. It was three hours to here.
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Img_2069

And here we are in the middle of it all:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Img_2070
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:40 pm

The falls, blurry because it was raining and there was condensation inside my camera:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Img_2072

Mid river mid afternoon. We still had two hours to go and the two steepest ladders and riverbanks to negotiate:
Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Img_2071
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Simply Primal - Annie Tries Again - Page 33 Img_2067
Looking back up the road to where we spent the day.  The falls would be in the valley between those hills on the left and the mountain behind them on the right.  I think.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Beautiful!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm

I never thought you were the newbie Annie....I was thinking of your friend. I should not have said that. And, I rarely go hiking of the sort you do alone. Just the camping in the woods....

Love your pictures. Thanks for the look.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:57 pm

That's ok, Pam.  It's hard to get across all info clearly in written posts.  

Hiking and camping are different things.  Camping always feels like it will be too much work for not enough comfort, and so I just can't be bothered.  Lol.  The hiking is great, because I can come home to my own bed.  

However, it's getting so that we just cannot travel in one day the distance we need to cover to reach the destinations we want to reach and still get home again by dark.  That's why we do our longer walks in summer, but other than ramping up the speed, the only other option I see is making an overnighter or multi-day trip out of it.  

But then you have to carry so much more gear, thus slowing you down even more, and reach the huts exhausted and having to cook over fiddly gas stoves and use long drop toilets....nah, doesn't appeal.  

Need to work on my attitude.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:37 pm

Or not - I do very long day hikes because I don't care to carry a backpack very often. If I can cover the terrain in a day, why do the extra work?
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Need to work on my attitude.

Nope, you don't! I totally agree with your thoughts on camping. There is NO way I would camp like that either. Ick!!! We "glamp" which means we like to tow our pop-up camper (that includes our own shower, toilet, fridge, stove and coffee maker) to a campsite with running water and call it camping. So, nope, I don't think you need to adjust your attitude at all.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:55 pm

Beautiful pictures.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:19 pm

Just beautiful once again. Sounds like a lovely day as well.

I love tent camping, but we are generally at a campground, so not glamping, but not deep woods either.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:55 am

Beautiful pictures. What a wonderful day that was. Has your friend recovered?

My favorite places to camp are out in the middle of nowhere. Smile
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:10 pm

It's a glorious autumn day here, the sky is blue and it's come out very warm again after two damp days and one decidedly wet.  There were all sorts of heavy rain warnings in place but they were exaggerated.  It was definitely cooler this morning with condensation on the windows.

I have sowed a packet of broad beans and planted four broccoli and a punnet of mesclun seedlings.  Next to pot up some spring bulbs and find a spot to sow some carrot seed.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:03 am

The plantings sound wonderful.

We are turning to rain today and through the weekend making me very happy I got a handle on some outdoor needs over the last 2 days. Sure feels good to work in the yard.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:50 pm

How lovely to plant seeds and watch them grow! Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Sounds like a perfectly wonderful day.

I need to tend my garden too, weeds are starting to show.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:56 am

Wide open plains. So mind expanding.  Had a very similar experience recently in one of our National Monument parks.  I enjoy tracking down waterfalls on all hikes if they exist.

Lovely pics and recounting of your trip.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:53 pm

More gardening. Pruned the lime tree, but have not finished yet. Having trouble reaching some parts/deciding on others, and was interrupted in the middle. Still, it's Better than Before.

Cut back some other branches overhanging my chicken area, mowed up the leaves to turn into mulch. Got told off by my DH doing this, still, this is also Better than Before.

Watered yesterday's seedlings and rubbed off the butterfly eggs. This is why I don't plant many brassicas, the butterflies always find them.

The branches have gone on a pile, they will take ages to decay but maybe I will find a use for them before they do. Watched some you tube videos on hugelkultur and permaculture and grazing (grazing? My livestock comprises four chickens!).

Contemplating some marigolds for colour as everything looking tidy but dull now.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Sounds like a productive day.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM on Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:38 pm

+1. I like marigolds because they are a pest deterrent, and always plant them around my veggies.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 42 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37 ... 42  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum