Still on the Move - part 2

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next

Go down

Still on the Move - part 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Still on the Move - part 2

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Tomi, El Paso always got snow. It is a high mountain desert. Much colder than H-town. I have yet to wear a "real" coat here. DH and I laugh when it hits 68 and they bring out the heavy coats and Uggs. Very Happy
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Pedidoc wrote:Tomi, El Paso always got snow.  It is a high mountain desert.  Much colder than H-town.  I have yet to wear a "real" coat here.  DH and I laugh when it hits 68 and they bring out the heavy coats and Uggs. Very Happy

We laugh at Phoenix friends who do the same thing!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:00 pm

I am always amazed at the capacity for cold, freezing temps that goldfish have.
Now I know why they are always way chubbier in outside ponds than indoors.

Isn't it nice to stroll through grounds when it's quiet and people sparse.  
It sounds so nice to have a body that is ready to go and can hit those miles and walls!  
Yes, it's almost lifesaving to take those breaks.  I use an in browser pomodoro type called Tomato Timer that gently interrupts and lets you plug in break times as well.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Very nice walk on campus today. Sunshine and warmer at last! Got in a smidge over 3 miles.  

More snow is forecast for Saturday evening through Sunday. Happily, this storm isn't supposed to come with more frigid temps. Guess that means a focus on getting wood split and covered early in the day Saturday rather than any playing I might have done.  

Planning to make meatloaf this weekend.

If there is enough snow, maybe I can get in a little XC ski tour around the neighborhood and surrounding terrain on Sunday.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:23 pm

Sounds like a wonderful few days for you exercise wise.

I’m sure once I’m officially back at the office, I too will need to pay attention to my watch nudges to move.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:21 am

Glad to hear you're feeling better. Hopefully T will follow soon.

Sorry you missed Across The Years this time round. Next time. Smile

Ever caught any of those blogposts where they tell you to turn down the heat to 68 during the night in order to sleep better? That's not even our preferred daytemperature (more like 65-66)... we turn up the heat when we have guests to make them feel more comfy...

Sounds like you've got your movement planned just the way you like it. Thumbs up.
Lovebird
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks, LB.  

I love to sleep "cool" but... Since we don't heat except with a woodstove we have to warm the house in the late afternoon/evening otherwise it is just crazy cold in the morning - like 42F/5 or 6 C. It doesn't make for the best sleeping conditions, and T sleeps cold so to keep him from absolutely freezing, we go to sleep warm and then pull up covers through the night.  This morning the house was 50F/10C. I am nearly always up first so I make the morning fire. I'm just a lot more cold tolerant than he is.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Whoa, that is waaay too cold for me in the house! I also prefer to sleep a little cooler but that is just down right cold!

And, yes, when we lived in Dallas we also used to laugh at the people with their winter coats and hats when Dallas got the odd dusting of snow. Meanwhile we were out in our sweatshirts thinking it was marvelous for "winter".

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:34 pm

It was a quiet weekend.  Saturday was gray with the storm moving in, not super cold, just dreary. We had lots of little tasks to do before the storm, then when enough was done, T went in to lay down (he is still feeling a bit off) while I put on my snowshoes and did a Shoe Hill Loop. I didn't strictly need the snowshoes, but... 

Since we haven't tried to catch her yet, we are still feeding the stray cat. As I was putting food out Saturday evening I realized I could see 2 sets of eyes, not just one. Eek!  I called T who came out to see. The 2 cats are very similar looking, but the one we call Luca is willing to come close while the other is very skittish. That one, who we are now calling Scruffy, is a bit smaller and the tail is not so nice and full. Don't know if they are related or why this one just started showing up. We suspect the altercation with our boy was with Scruffy. Anyway, it means that our fat boy is doomed to house cat status for a while yet until we sort out the trapping and removal process. And I need to find bigger cans of cat food! 

The storm raged Saturday through Monday morning. It was a quiet day of cooking, dishes, and reading. We played a game we got as a gift at Christmas which was kind of fun, and then started a new season on DVD of a British TV series we've been watching. There are French subtitles now and then so it requires more concentration than I usually give TV, but I do like the series. 

Headed out soon for a walk to WF for guac. Mostly just an excuse to escape the office for a bit, listen to some brain candy, and put off the tedious next thing I have to do.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:50 pm

Sounds like a nice weekend. I hope T starts feeling completely well soon.

Sounds like a nice loop with the snowshoes, even if they weren’t completely needed. A tad more exercise for the legs.

Wow 2 cats now. You’re going to be busy if they keep showing up. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Yep, we did not need an extra stray cat. Actually it explains a lot - why the cat suddenly got less friendly and why we started having troublesome interactions.  It isn't a good situation so we will have to get it sorted reasonably soon. 

Very nice walk to Whole Foods. The day wasn't particularly pretty and a lot of sidewalks were not well cleared from the weekend snow, plus slush - ick. I got the last package of mild guac, I'd have been bummed if there hadn't been any. I won't buy the "hot" any more, it is just ridiculously hot and I no longer have a taste for such. 

Turns out I have to go to Phoenix tomorrow for a meeting Wednesday morning. I'll still meet T at the rock gym, then go pick up a vehicle and head south.  I fear the meeting will be a waste of time but sometimes that just has to be... Should get back at a very reasonable time Wednesday afternoon, and might be able to get in a walk on the canal path in the morning before the meeting since it isn't super early. 

I got the conference schedule built, session descriptions ordered to match the schedule, and everything has been ordered. 

Oh, and I was able to make an appointment to see the neurologist early in Feb. That was a surprise. I am not super hopeful, but I'm going to give it a try. Start a new round of try and meet the medical deductible... I should not whine, I have wonderful insurance through my employer and am extremely lucky for it. And maybe, he will be able to help me sort out this stupid pain. In a memoir I was listening too recently, the writer has "frozen shoulder" which sounds very painful and limiting. She expresses her frustration with having a condition where some of the risk factors are being female and being over age 40. Sometimes I feel like this unexplained nerve pain is like that.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:54 am

Oh, sorry about the cat issues. Seemed to go well when you first described Luca.

Glad you got yourself outside last weekend, I know how important it is to get in some exercise.

I could not handle a real hot house especially for sleeping. You are kind to keep T warm. Smile

Have a good escape from the office and hopefully some information that will be helpful to you.

Glad you got that neurology appointment scheduled.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 am

Praying this appt will help in some way with that pain. I know it has to be completely annoying. I’m happy though that you haven’t let it keep you down.

Hopefully you can sort that cat issue quickly and w/o much trouble.

Try and have some fun in Phoenix
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:28 am

Perspective on hot/cold: When I transferred from Meechugun to South Florida many years ago, it was hilarious when it got into the 50's seeing those who had been in S Florida bundling up in their stylish winter finest from whenever they moved south anywhere from 5-30 years previously. Meanwhile, we didn't turn the heat on in our house the first winter there. The second winter we were more acclimatized and used the heat more.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Had a super time at the climbing gym with T today. We both climbed well, and then total bonus, I was able to trade my slightly too big new climbing shoes (purchased online because the gym didn't have my size) for a pair that fit - straight trade.  

Good walk there and back, stopped by transportation to pick up my vehicle, then back to the office to take care of things that needed doing before I left town. 

Happily, I don't have to be anywhere early so should get in a good walk in the morning. Gotta love that the night time low temp here will be warmer than our high temps have been. I can almost imagine wearing shorts! 

T says both strays are around this evening. Lots of feedings. I am sure the fat boy is not well pleased. 

And with that, I should go put goop on my head as I have roots again. A friend is talking about going gray, something that crosses my mind now and then. It would be best if I cut my hair short to do it, something I'm unsure about. I haven't gone really short in years and years, like maybe 20 years... Not going to make that decision today, that's for sure!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 pm

Hope you got in that good walk this morning.

Not ready for gray here yet. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:43 pm

I don't have details of your living conditions - but from things you've said I gather you live in a remote area - perhaps "off the grid"-ish ??? Peaceful and simple by the sounds of it?
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Aaah, hopefully you catch the strays. I can't imagine how rough it is for them at snow temps.
Insurance while useful at times can be convoluted in their protocols to save themselves money. May this appointment prove helpful for you.

I've told myself that when I hit 60 I'm going to start letting artistic patterns of grey form. So not entirely grey, but, allowing some play with it.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

I am not grey but I stopped coloring/highlighting two years ago. I didn't want obvious roots during the grow out so I had my hair colored a shade or two darker than my natural color and as it grew and the color faded a little, it looked natural.

I hope you get the two feral cats trapped and taken in. Fat Boy needs to be safe and so do they. Plus if there are two, they can multiply quickly.
Vh67
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm also not ready to go gray. However, that being said, I am blonde and yes, I have some grey/white hairs but luckily they just sort of blend in and make me look blonder.

Isn't aging great!? Neutral

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 pm

tomi1000 wrote:I don't have details of your living conditions - but from things you've said I gather you live in a remote area - perhaps "off the grid"-ish ???  Peaceful and simple by the sounds of it?

Yep, completely off the grid. We have both solar and a wind generator. We also haul water because we live in an old volcanic field so the water table is estimated to be about 2500 feet below the surface meaning a well is not a possibility. (Given that the last volcanic eruptions are estimated to have been about 1300 years ago there is an argument that the volcanic field is still active, but I can tell you that no one around here worries about it...  Cool)

While we are about 30 miles out of town, my commute is about an hour because we live about 7 miles off the highway on an unmaintained dirt forest service road. If it snows, we (collective "we" of us and our neighbors) deal with it ourselves. We are on a 120 acre inholding surrounded by national forest. Most of the lots are vacant, there are just 3 other couples who live there full-time in addition to us, plus some weekenders. The weekend folks don't come up much in the winter as most are from Phoenix. 

Mostly peaceful, although one of the neighbors has sled dogs, about 20 of them, so more barking that we'd like. And yes, simple. Our home is small and very basic. We keep talking about building a nicer, larger home, and I think we will. As we get older, we'd like to have a few more creature comforts, and to be honest, there are times when it would be nice to have the option of going in a room and shutting a door between us.  We will have been married 32 years on Feb 1, and it is a very good relationship, but sometimes, you don't want to be in the same room as the other person...
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for describing your place. It does sound peacerful, but I understand the wants and needs for some creature comforts as you get older.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm

Well, for the moment, my gray hairs are gone...  Maybe I'll do as some of you are and say I'll think about it when I'm 60.  Seems like a valid plan to me! 

Got out for a very nice walk on Wednesday, and yes, I wore shorts!  I was early enough that there were a lot of homeless folks about - not something I am particularly comfortable with. We get a little bit of that in the summer around here, but they all leave town in the autumn as it is just too darn cold to sleep outside here come wintertime. Anyway, I just stayed alert and kept moving.

Took advantage of smooth pavement and the low elevation and really focused on speed. 3 of the 5 miles were in the mid 12 min/mile range and the other 2 were low 13's.  

Fairly endless and very disorganized meeting... not a surprise and would have been a waste of time except we did have a good conversation with a client. Neither our vendor nor the regulatory agency have a clue which is rather disturbing. 

Nice lunch with a colleague, little walk in the Phoenix sunshine, then drove back up the hill. Got here in good time, dropped off the car, and walked back to my office where my truck was parked. Considering the meeting and the travel time, it was a remarkably good day for steps!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 pm

T made his first attempt at catching "Scruffy" today. No luck...  The cats look so much alike, we suspect Scruffy might be related to Luca - maybe a kitten. Perhaps that is why she was dumped, she was pregnant. All of the cats who are "owned" in our area are spayed/neutered and none run loose. Who knows...  The strays look very much like one of our former cats so they tug at our heartstrings, but, they are wild and unlikely to be domesticated. 

Good midday walk for me, just made the loop on campus,  then swung by Sprouts for some veggies I was running low on, a kombucha, and pepperoni - I have been in a serious pepperoni deficit of late.  I am very pleased with myself that no treats were purchased... I am not doing very well in that regard.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:30 am

My friend B and his wife have 3 wild cats that have been s/n and are now domesticated. They have had them for a long time and I enjoy petting them when they will let me. ha

I have known for a long time that you bring in your own water. I do know, from camping, that water hauling is heavy. How do you do it? I mean, do you buy water jugs at the store?

I went gray at 66 while still working. I did not do the highlight thing for some reason my hairdresser said I could not. Many of my friends do and are still coloring.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 26 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 26  Next