The Walrus Part 2

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

The Walrus Part 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: The Walrus Part 2

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:04 am

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you truly love." - Rumi
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:33 pm

WORD FOR THE DAY
Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing.

ROBERT BENCHLEY
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm

This morning I saw Dream off on his way to Brisbane. He’ll be there for five days:(. Wish I could have gone with him, but I can’t leave our dogs and obviously the house sit/dog we are responsible for. Frankly I would just be in the way - he has loads of unpleasant chores and is staying in his brother’s tiny filthy flat. He is taking his mum to a doctor to assess her competence - she is expected to fail the assessment and preliminary preparations for removal from her home will be made. I can provide moral support via the wonder of technology, but it’s not the same. I feel so bad for him. He is so strong, and he has cared for his mother so well despite the fact that her mental deterioration has made her quite abusive towards him.

OTOH, I have loads of food to eat, discard, or give away! We just can’t give up fresh home cooked food even when it would be more practical to eat out or get takeaway.

Many chores today!

Last edited by The Walrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Sounds like it will be a rough 5 days for Dream. He probably wishes you could be with him as well.

Figure out something you’ve been wanting to do, but would rather do alone and tackle it while he’s away.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:06 pm

I’ll probably hang out at the library! Smile

I know everyone is cleaning up their diets around now, but I have to report that I’ve found a good brown rice pasta - Dream said it tastes exactly like regular, however it is 100% brown rice - the brand is San Remo. Good for a treat, for company, and yes, vegans. I made a deconstructioned pesto ie the ingredients are just chopped, not made into a paste and frankly it was spectacular - just the thing on a hot summer night.
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Anyone else binging on Marie Kondo’s Netflix show? She is adorable!
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 am

Did a bit of retail therapy today. A nonstick stone coated pan (no teflon fumes, thanks), a paring knife, a plastic salad knife, and a new vegetable peeler. Got Geraldine Brooks ‘The Secret Chord’ for $5! In hardback! Ridiculously pleased with my purchases while feeling a bit guilty about spending $$$. Everything was on sale, however, very good prices too!

I’ve been devouring ‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ by Samin Nosrat. While not even remotely primal, it is all about real food, cooking techniques, flavor profiles - very well written, reads like a good novel. I just finished the section on salt and started Fat. I’ve already used a couple of her methods and a couple of recipes.
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 am

I am encouraged to sign into Netflix just because Marie is on it.  Perhaps it is time for me to go forward with that.  I did a go-thru on some clothing yesterday and donated it. There is more I need to do. Do I really need it all? It felt good and still does.

The retail therapy sounds great.  There was a piece on NPR about the Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat book.  Interesting.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

What a nice a haul for you at the store! A $5 hardback is mostly unheard of!

I too have been watching Marie on Netflix. Trying to do the season slowly, let things sink in. I have read her first book. What I love about the show, is these people are still keeping plenty of items, yet she is proud of what they have done. Some FB threads and others seem to take things to the extreme. This show shows it really is about the joy and item brings, not the amount of items kept. Love it!
Oh, and yeah, I’ve got work to do. LOL

That book sounds interesting too.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Pam, I’m pretty sure you can do a 30 day free trial of Netflix, and it is actually quire easy to cancel (often not the case). You might have a look at stuff you might enjoy.

I’m trying to pick up some tips about getting Dream on board with Kondo’s ideas - he is hopeless in that respect. He cannot throw anything away! The closest we have had to a real argument involving shouting was about me wanting to discard an olive oil decanter with a broken rim - he insisted it was still usuable (he had it for some years and never used it) and I abhor using broken things, particularly broken things that have sat around unused for years. And no, it had no emotional value and did not bring joy. In the end I discarded it, but no lessons were learned and no middle ground gained.

I did more retail therapy today. (Hanging head in shame.). A ceramic mug with a koala, matching coaster, and a shopping bag with colorful abstract cats and birds. (Single use plastic bags are not legal here, we all use shopping bags.).

The Walrus Part 2 - Page 8 779fc210

Also, I have just eaten an entire pound (500 grams) of ground beef prepared ala nomster burgers. I have no regrets.
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:50 pm

With all of the good fortune in my life it is stupid to want what I can’t have, but I miss the cats so much. It was wonderful being around them and their beauty and their funny quirks. I laughed so much and had so many cuddles. Their owners have asked me how I turned their most independent girl into a cuddlebug in two weeks when they haven’t been able to do it in years - honestly I don’t know, other than lots of love. Can’t have enough love!
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 am

I am sorry you are missing your cats so much.

I love your koala mug - a great improvement over a broken oil decanter.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 am

The Walrus wrote:
I’ve been devouring ‘Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat’ by Samin Nosrat.  While not even remotely primal, it is all about real food, cooking techniques, flavor profiles - very well written, reads like a good novel.  I just finished the section on salt and started Fat.  I’ve already used a couple of her methods and a couple of recipes.  

I really enjoyed this series. Loved her explanations on these 4 food enhancers. Am always looking for cooking shows. Love watching them while I prep stuff, well except when chopping things....
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:05 am

TW -- Thanks for telling me about the free trial. I believe I knew and worried I'd get "hooked" and simply have another bill to pay in the end. I'll think about it. Or roku or whatever it is. Thank you. To watch the KonMarie show would be the best.

I hear you on the broken oil decanter especially an unused one. Just yesterday, after going through my closet a second time, I made a decision (that I have not followed through with yet) to turn the hangers around and if they are not turned back around again....those clothes go. I think that will work. Now for the dresser.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 am

So sorry you are missing your cats. I had a cat once, but it was one someone had turned it, I tried to rescue and it didn’t go well. Not enough experience with them. Found I’m definitely a dog person.

Love the mug. Yes, broken things go around here.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 am

Just had a thought about Dream and his collections. Maybe ask if you can put somethings in boxes to store garage or whatever out of site storage place you may have in the new place. Then mark the date. See if he will agree to parting with some of those things if he doesn’t go after them in 6mo. If he opens the box for something re-date. Then he making the choice, but he may see he can live without them.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:22 pm

People, I am really not sure of the wisdom of asking the other half to declutter. Like Marie says, just look after your own stuff. We don't want this issue to become a wedge between us and the people we live with.

Packing it up and putting it in their own zone though, that I can go with.
Annieh
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:17 pm

He’s hopeless, the best I can hope for is to contain the dross into a room or two. That said, I need to have a look at my own things!

WORD FOR THE DAY
Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance and order and rhythm and harmony.

THOMAS MERTON
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:20 pm

WORD FOR THE DAY
We are not permitted to choose the frame of our destiny, but what we put into it is ours.

DAG HAMMARSKJÖLD
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Dream still in Brisbane. I just got my hair cut and coloured - decided I want to start my new life in Canberra looking sharp. I love it - really happy with the style I have settled on, and there is no substitute for pro color. Makes me feel like a rich bitch!

I’m enjoying a last visit to my fav coffee shop (loads of great coffee shops here) and had a GF cupcake with raspberry sauce and coconut cream. Why does it have to be so good?
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:39 am

I had to LOL to the rich bitch comment. So happy to hear everything is exactly as you like it. You will be looking smart.

That cupcake sounds devine. Yes, why do they taste so good?
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Glad you got all cut and colored for the new adventure! Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 pm

New hair new attitude sounds like a supreme idea!  You will rock the new town too. I am so impressed with your ability to make new friends, and with your flexibility - you've moved so many times in the past year and you remain so upbeat about it. Remarkable!
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:15 pm

Oddly, I love to move. I also like to put down roots, go figure!
The Walrus
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:04 pm

The Walrus wrote:Oddly, I love to move.  I also like to put down roots, go figure!

Agree with M2M, admirable and you've transitioned with grace!
I feel so new when I get my hair reshaped. Excellent way to start settling in and making this town yours. Smile
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next