Perennially Yours - part 2

Page 8 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next

Go down

Perennially Yours - part 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: Perennially Yours - part 2

Post by perennialpam on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 pm

Well, my tribe has convinced me.  Now to find out how to accomplish.  Re: Netflix.

It's funny but frustrating.  I sent in payment for the bill mom laid where she always does...the end of December.  A cheap  $15 for TV Guide Magazine.  Today I found a new bill for payment.  Then I told mom I paid the bill a while back and would look into it.  

Pulled out the original bill.  It is a different company.  There is no contact info at all, not even email address.  

Two different companies.  Crap.  These little things take up a lot of research time (or figuring out that it is 2 different companies).  They both said "welcome back" kinda language.  

Hiker's breakfast came up with bad news about our lung cancer patient.  Nodules found and she will now go through radiation.  Every day for ___ weeks.  I could not hear the person who was informing everyone.  A few of us are going over to Helen's to take down the Christmas Tree on Monday.  

Helen's husband is 10 years older than her and does not recognize how ill she is and likes to be waited all the time.  Heck the guy can not even make a peanut butter / jelly sandwich!  She is not going to  have the ability to take care of him so us hikers are going to take turns taking over meals.  

My biggest curiosity is what happens if she does pass?  Don't they need a plan for Joe?  Somehow this needs to be brought up because who is going to make these decisions if she does not make it.  I do not know the family dynamics.

Gotta go figure out a way to settle this da*n tv guide thing.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:22 pm

I am so excited to read about your blood pressure going back down!

I am sorry to hear about your friend. You guys are pretty amazing, taking care of her.
Vh67
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:29 am

I'm proud to be part of that group of women. I have hiked with them since 2003 and they had hiked long before I joined them. We used to camp (no more) and day hike the Appalachian Trail every fall until about 5 years back. We decided to enjoy our MI and then the older ones wanted to start staying in houses. Made packing easy pretty much. More room for stuff. ha

I made myself go to bed last night at 9. And here I am 7 hours later happy. I did not even make it through Antiques Road Show. My age is showing.

Yesterday with mom went well. I have been noticing lately that she is saying thank you. Very new and nice.

Called my AZ BFF yesterday. It still is difficult to carry on a conversation. She talks about people that have come to visit that I do not know and the weather. I talk about mom. No continuity due to distance and time lag between visits. Perhaps I need to start calling more often and it won't seem so strained.

Haven't thought about things I'll do today. Perhaps the laundromat and get that over with and celebrate those 7 solid hours of sleep. Smile

Food continues to be good. Staying under 100 cbs still.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:00 am

I had no idea TV Guide was still viable.  It's gone digital!  I remember my dad getting it weekly with all the neat cover art.  Many of those covers are great examples of design that I study sometimes.
Annoying that customer contacts are not provided, though.  Lame.
Your friend's husband....sigh.  You and your group of friends are kind and awesome.
Seems your mom is appreciating many of the tasks you do for her.  That's a nice development.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:17 pm

So sorry to hear about your friend. If you can delicately bring up the what happens to Joe question, that would be good, at least you’d know if there are plans or not.

Good going for your group to take care of them.

Hopefully you’ll figure out the TV guide thing. Is she still getting it? If so, I’d ignore the second bill.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 am

I have figured out the TV Guide Magazine and TV Weekly. Two different companies. I also was able to get a hold of a phone number and found that her first copy will come the 21st of the month. Mom put that bill on the bill table and I had no idea she was getting a bill from a different company. I will speak to her this week about paying for the other one she is used to because I bet she will not like this new one. I do not get tv guides myself.

~~Wrote out a list of things needing doing and began crossing them off. One I had forgotten was the tent drying in the basement. Tent, ground cloth and the top of the tent (totally different from the tent).

~~The other item on the list was getting a fire going to get rid of the branches from the limb that had fallen a while back. Branches are difficult and I was not able to get a roaring fire going which is needed.

~~Went to my DS's to watch the bball game as I knew I would not be able to keep my eyes upon if I watched at home. He was just as tired as I get but we managed to watch the Wolverines of UM win.

~~Today is the Christmas tree responsibility for that friend. Next week we will all be signing up to transport her for the next series of chemo treatments. Most of us live in the country and far away from each other.

~~Need to tackle some items on the list and/or think of items to put on it.

perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:16 am

Primal Blueprint Podcast 302 - Evan Brands re: gut health. Recommended.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:51 am

Good luck with your list today Pam.

Thanks for the tip on the podcast.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:23 am

I didn't even know they still made TV Guide. Wow, I wonder how small their membership is now. I would guess that will be a thing of bygones within the next 10 years.

Agreed on the podcast tip - for some reason I always forget about the PB podcast. I'm going to load it up on my tablet and listen to it on my way to drive my daughter to guitar tonight. I like to play these sorts of podcasts when when she is in the car because then I have a captive audience who might just take some of it in! Wink

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:58 am

Good, sneaky, plan!
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:28 am

Took the DGDog for a short walk around the block and she noticed. She was ready for the vehicle when we got back to her house. She was being a wild child and ran into people's yards, on porches, everywhere was exciting to check out. Guess it is back to the leash until she minds her manners again.

Not much else to say except that eating stays primal and that is a good thing.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnTiger on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:56 am

Shame about DGDog, but yes, some tough love is needed.

Glad you are happy with your primal approach. Hoping to join you shortly
AutumnTiger
AutumnTiger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:03 am

Pam I have found that once dogs get out of a routine, the world is completely new to them again - hence the running everywhere like it’s never been seen before.

Great job on the eating.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:07 am

Methinks the dog has forgotten who the Alpha is. Some kind, but firm, commands and the leash should bring her back around.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:45 am

Re: Netflix, I need a smart tv. The one I have works fine for what I watch and I feel bad simply replacing it for something else.

The Moth, theme "Drive", was excellent last night. Most of the individuals connected that with actually driving but others made a larger connection as in personal gains/losses. Terrific stories once again. I always place my coat on a chair to save for myself. The people in that row moved it just before the show started as I had peeked to make sure it was still there. Goodness, I asked for my coat and, luckily, found another seat. There are always people who stand. Made me sad that people would deny moving it and once I thought about it I would not have wanted to sit next to people who denied that change.

The taking down of the Christmas tree changed to today. So we will accomplish this early this morning. I will be able to see "H" for the first time this month. I hear she has lost another 6 lbs., is dizzy, and having trouble with her husband understanding how ill she is. I fear a time will come when she is unable to make good decisions about herself and her husband who is 10 years older, has had a stroke, and likes to be taken care of. Men need to learn to take care of themselves. There is no guarantee that the woman in their life will outlive them.

Got my laundry done yesterday only because I needed clothes. haha

Today is my massage. I can not remember when my last one was but it was probably early in 2018. I am so looking forward to having it and seeing my person. I must get back on the bandwagon and will schedule the next one while there.

I am glad that the forecasters were incorrect and we did not get the sleet/ice mixture last night. I was worried about driving home for naught and I just peeked and there is nothing on the deck.

I had a drink last night and am feeling it today. Only one. I know the primal blueprint warns about this. I am not scheduled until February to work The Moth and will reconsider my love of the Moscow Mule. I recall this effect back during my initial Primal adventure. It is my habit to have one during the show. I may need to change that habit.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

I will not own a smart tv. I don't need another device in the house that can be used to listen in on what's happening in my home. We do Netflix & other streaming media via a Roku unit and are quite happy with it.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 am

We got our first smart TV when our old TV died. Although I didn't want to have to go out and buy a new TV I will say that we love the smart TV. It has saved us hundreds and hundreds (maybe a thousand by now) on cable TV fees. We don't even have cable because we don't need it with a smart TV. It also allowed us to not have to worry about having DVD players, etc because we can use our son's Playstation to play DVD's, etc to the TV.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:11 am

Netflix prices going up:
Netflix price
"Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. "
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 am

Rig D wrote:Netflix prices going up:
Netflix price
"Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. "

It's still a huge savings here, in Canada. Just basic cable here is around $35 a month (taxes all in, etc). And that only gets you basic network TV such as NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, the weather station. No Fox, no CNN, no Headline News, nothing. If you actually want to have a choice in watching any program you're looking at at least $65 a month. And, on top of that you need a cable box  for every TV. That adds another $10 a month per TV. So, that is closer to $90 a  month.  In contrast, we have Netflix and Amazon Prime that all four of our family members can watch on any device or TV at the same time, and access to hundreds of programs and we only pay $25 a month (for both Netflix and Amazon together) and that also includes next day delivery by Amazon plus Amazon Music. It won't matter how much Netflix raises rates here - people will still pay it.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am

You are all explaining the situation in terms I can understand.

Now my question, how do you get the internet and what does that cost?

My cable/internet bill is $147+ per month and I only have basic cable including internet. I will call them and find out how much internet only is.

Thanks everyone.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:53 am

$65.99 before taxes. Hmph.
perennialpam
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:07 am

perennialpam wrote:$65.99 before taxes.  Hmph.

Ya, ours is around that for just internet as well. We also don't have home phone service. We use VOIP (voice over internet protocol) which by name brand is called Magic Jack. It costs us about $36 a YEAR to have home phone service.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:31 am

Our internet options are Spectrum (cable provider) and ATT. If you are remote, there are a few satellite service, Hughesnet is the one I'm semi-familiar with.
We pay 147/mo for internet, telephone, and cable TV thru Spectrum. Internet speed is 100, very good. TV subscription is for 100+ stations, which includes everything I ever need/want to see, all the networks, HGTV(for wife), Most of ESPN's channels(for me) and many others, lots of duplicate stations also. Probably 50 or so distinct channels. Price also includes the TV box which has recording capabilities for up to 5 channel recordings, and tools to set up series etc on automatic recording.

If we drop the Cable TV, we lose our "bundle" discount and our internet price goes up a bunch, as well as telephone. Ends up being about a $30 saving. So far, the advantage of all the cable channels is worth the premium.  

We use Roku for Netflix, less used is Hulu. Amazon is available, but we don't have it. We also get freebie channels, primarily UFOtv, Skywatch and Prophecy Watchers(both religious). We have a total of 44 channels currently set up thru Roku, their big plus is that there are a near infinite number of specialty channels for anything you are interested in, ha ha, including the original "Amos n Andy" channel for us nostalgia buffs.
Rig D
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:02 pm

I too have a Roku that I use for Netflix, and hulu, not as much. Also YouTube, Pandora for music. I have other stations set up, but haven’t really bothered much with them.

I just went to the possible switch to just internet, but ended up paying only slightly more to get all the channels I need and about the same if I would have added a few pay channels through roku as my new Verizon rate. I do have a DVR and it’s just basic, so I think I could record 2 at once, but it’s just me so not needed to have the higher more expensive one.

You can also watch Netflix right on your computer or tablet, you don’t need to add anything at all.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 am

ONTARIO wrote: We don't even have cable because we don't need it with a smart TV. It also allowed us to not have to worry about having DVD players, etc because we can use our son's Playstation to play DVD's, etc to the TV.

That's primarily how I use the PlayStation console to stream Netflix and occasionally play DVDs and Blu-Rays.  The Amazon Stick is very cool.  No bigger than a flashdrive and I get Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming in crispy HD.  I bought it on sale and it's a great investment, I think.

I pay Spectrum about $64 -68 a month for 50mb downld and Netflix B4 their pending increase is $13 or so. No phone.
Heuristicfireflower
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next