Moving Forward Toward Better Health

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Re: Moving Forward Toward Better Health

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:35 am

Better sleep last night, but not fantastic. Still with the cough, which is very annoying. Very lazy day today. I plan on spending most of the day in the room and then cleaning up later in the afternoon to go forage for food. I've exhausted the room service menu after two days. I feel a nap calling me in a bit.

I am glad I decided to use some points to extend my stay and rest. While I will be able to rest at my friend's house (I will go there tomorrow and wait for DH to arrive on Friday) it is not like I can lounge in bed in my nightgown all day there. I also have some work scheduled for during the day when they are at work.

The friends are the ones we travel with. She is the one who had gastric revision surgery last year. She is doing well and is down to a size 4, but she is constantly thinking of food. I have no problem skipping a meal here and there, which she thinks is very unhealthy. I just can not fathom planning my day around food. It does frustrate me that I still am not cleared to work out, as I really wanted this summer to be one of creating healthy habits.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Ain't that the truth! Good for you, Pedi.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 pm

I had a coworker like that in Maine- while I was happy that her surgery went well and she achieved a good result, at least in the short term, she ran around preaching the small meal doctrine...hard for me to keep quiet.

Good on you for working in some chill time. I’m sure it’s good for your recovery.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:55 pm

perennialpam wrote:Ain't that the truth!  Good for you, Pedi.

Thanks, PPam. It is hard because she brags on her size, but when I look at her I see the rolls of skin around her middle.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:57 pm

The Walrus wrote:I had a coworker like that in Maine- while I was happy that her surgery went well and she achieved a good result, at least in the short term, she ran around preaching the small meal doctrine...hard for me to keep quiet.

Good on you for working in some chill time.  I’m sure it’s good for your recovery.

Thanks, TW. I needed some downtime for sure. I just try and stay quiet, but it is hard when she is planning meals way in advance.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Kathi I do agree. I used to be on that think of nothing but food, or how many calories or points I had left, and what piece of cardboard could I eat so I didn’t spend precious points. What a wonderful difference primal is, esp being able to skip a meal without any side effects. It’s so freaking freeing.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:56 pm

Absolutely! IMHE the weight loss does not last Sad after these surgeries. And there is nowhere else to go...

How well I remember my own ‘healthy whole grain’ days when I would be starving an hour after a full meal. Glad those days are gone.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:28 am

IMO --- surgery for weight loss is a horrible thing. It does not address the basic problem. People gain weight for 2 reasons........... physical or emotional problems. Reducing the size of the stomach - or bypassing it all together does not address why the person gained weight in the first place. Maybe your friend has to stay focused on the results in order to suppress whatever caused the gain in the first place. It's really messed up.

I hope you can enjoy the time anyway. Sounds like she's a good friend.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:40 am

Thanks, everyone. Yes, she is a great friend and I know from long talks that her mother was fixated on weight and of the three sisters, my friend was the heaviest one. Mentally it did a number on her. She did not feel she could get control over her eating any other way, therefore she had the gastric band surgery. Her band slipped after several years and she gained a lot of weight, so she had the gastric sleeve surgery done. I know she is happy to be a size 4 and likes to talk about how little she can eat, but I do not see her as looking healthy. I just keep my mouth shut.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:53 am

I am awake because of the cough. I got out my inhalers and have been using them, propped myself up with pillows, and am sipping water. I think I have cleared stuff out for now. I really hope that this is the tail end of it because I have too much going on to be sick. I am tired, but when I lay down I cough, I will try to sleep sitting up.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:05 am

Sending healing thoughts your way Pedi... hope you get to sleep some more and feel better soon rather than later. *hugs*

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 am

Healing vibes headed your way. Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:50 pm

I hope you were able to sleep. Sad I will never understand how man has managed to harness all types of poisons that go in our food and water supply......... but can't seem to figure out how to kill off viruses that invade our bodies! I KNOW there is a natural virus killer out there.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 pm

There is...it’s called an immune system...if only it worked 100% of the time!

Have you ever tried nasal rinsing, such as a neti pot or some other method? Can really help if the cough is exacerbated by post nasal drip.
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Thanks, everyone.  No real post-nasal drip, TW.  I started running what felt like a low-grade temperature and the cough became deep, productive, and painful.  I texted the doc I work with and we mutually decided it was time to add antibiotics to what I was doing.  We also added a short course of steroids to help open up my lungs (when you are tight inhalers only work so well).  Today is day 2 of the antibiotics and I feel a bit better.  Sleep last night was better and cough is not as constant or always productive.

Today I am resting on the couch at friend's home.  One good thing from being sick is a decreased appetite.  Maybe I will shed a couple of pounds. Smile My friend did very well with me only picking at dinner last night.  I have to remind myself that her "love language" is caring for others (she always wants to have the almond milk creamer I like and bakes GF brownies - which are delicious but I do not need).

Everything aligned for me to do very little of the work I brought with me.  The Dean is at the accreditation conference that I am supposed to be writing the self-study for this week.  She texted me early today that the standards are changing and to hold off writing.  Okay, then will do.  So I will play with my calendar some and keep up with the class I am teaching, but other than that I have nothing to do for 3 days! Shocked
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Nothing to do - and needing to get well are good bed partners Wink
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 pm

tomi1000 wrote:Nothing to do - and needing to get well are good bed partners Wink

Yes they do. It's hard to not do things, but since I'm not home I literally have nothing to do. Brief nap, cleaned up the kitchen, played with the puppy, and rearranged my calendar.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Happy to hear you are getting some rest.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:58 am

What NM said. You have been on quite a busy circuit for a long time not to mention the stress of the job change.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:25 am

Narrowminded wrote:Happy to hear you are getting some rest.

Thanks, NM.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 am

perennialpam wrote:What NM said.  You have been on quite a busy circuit for a long time not to mention the stress of the job change.  

Which probably set me up for this. It has been a long time since I felt this sick.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:38 am

Decent sleep last night. Not the 8 hours I would have liked but a solid 3 hours and another fitful 3 hours. The morning cough off is still fierce, but I have hope that it will be gone soon.

Today I hope to work some more on cleaning up my outlook utilizing tasks, pay the electric bill, and finish plotting out my June calendar. All of this will be done while resting on the couch with the puppy.

I will try to get a nap in and plan on cleaning up afterward. Not up to makeup but do feel up to doing my hair.

DH is on his last day of 10 straight shifts. He is tired and a new hire upper brass is being a royal PIA. DH has done 8 of the 10 years necessary to get us free health care for life and is hoping to hold on for the last 2, but this new person is making it difficult by actually telling another person that he was waiting for DH to screw up so they could get him fired. No reason why they dislike DH so much, he's done nothing to them and has a great reputation at work - just plain ugly. We discussed the pros and cons of filing hostile work environment. Unfortunately, they are not just upsetting DH, but have managed to piss off 2 out of the 3 shifts (I am sure the 3rd will come after they meet with them). DH got emails from 1/2 of his shift telling him they are actively looking for another job. Positive thoughts and prayers gladly received for his continued patience and perseverance.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:35 pm

Sounds to me like they don’t want to fulfill their obligation to your DH if he makes that 10 years. Praying things settle and they realize the actually have a good cop. They could be “blessed” with a bunch of bad ones, which would be way worse.

Praying to for you sto start feeling a bunch better. Glad you are continuing to rest.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm

I don't understand the mentality of upper management like in your hubby's case. I used to work in Human Resources and one thing we were very big on was employee job satisfaction. It is well-known in the HR world that it is much more cost productive to keep a trained, seasoned employee than to have to fill the position. Even with the lifetime health care it is still more prudent, financially, to keep him. His value far exceeds the cost of health care. Besides the logistics of it all, I don't understand why anyone would want to create such a hostile environment full of such drama. People just boggle my mind sometimes. Sorry this is happening to him. It must be very hard for him to bite his tongue.

ONTARIO

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Narrowminded wrote:Sounds to me like they don’t want to fulfill their obligation to your DH if he makes that 10 years.  Praying things settle and they realize the actually have a good cop.  They could be “blessed” with a bunch of bad ones, which would be way worse.

Praying to for you sto start feeling a bunch better.  Glad you are continuing to rest.

Thanks, NM. It is not the department, it is just the one new supervisor. When DH spoke with his two immediate supervisors, they reassured him that they had his back and would go to bat for him. He trusts them so that is where we are.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next