Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign - Page 13 Empty Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:21 am

Rig I should have been clearer. I didn’t mean a walking program yet. I was just thinking about the general walking around the house like to the bathroom and back. It seems that sounds like it’s going well and better than last year, so that is totally awesome.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign - Page 13 Empty Re: Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign

Post by Rig D on Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Yes, you are correct NM. My PT has cleared me for doing my indoor laps around LR,DR,K,Hall. He's pretty much saying that as long as I feel up to it I can go for it. I'm doing 2 or three laps at a time.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Good for you. Glad this is even possible right now.

MY BFF from AZ just got news. She needs both knees done.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Rig awesome for that clearance.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:26 am

So pleased to read the surgery went well (WOW - that was a lot of fluid!), and that you are moving around well, even if on a limited basis! Take care and I look forward to reading more.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:16 am

PT yesterday was tough and I'm really stiff and puffy today. The company honored my request and I have the same PT that I had last year. I'll call him J (his initial, no connection to Men in Black). It was good, we know each other and were able to dig in quickly without a lot of the “start up” things with a new person.  After checking me out  for strength/flex/mobility, he had me do 2 x the reps on the set of exercises for weeks 1-3, and then did a full set of the exercises that are supposed to start in week 4. I did some supplementary indoor laps later in the day, it is possible that I overdid things just a little, by bedtime I was not comfortable sitting or lying down but fortunately was able to hit the sack and get a good night's rest.

I woke up this AM hurting a good bit and ended up taking my first oxycodone pill to knock it down. I'm trying hard to avoid those bad boys, but when needed they are a big help.

PT is scheduled daily M->F, I think last year it was 3 x per week. It will be interesting to see what routine he has me do today.

My BP is back in its normal, slightly high range. On the food front, we've been eating Primally since my surgery, but yesterday I was ravenous all day long, even after finishing my dinner, a BAS with grilled chicken. I'm hoping my appetite returns to normal quickly, but expect it to stay kicked up while my bod is repairing. My weight has bottomed out and bounced up a little, but not a concern now that the massive slug of fluid has passed out of my system.

Pam, tell your friend to do all she can to build up her leg muscles pre-surgery. I think my leg strength this year going into surgery is one of the key things in me coming out as well as I did. Doing both knees at once will be really tough, I'm very happy I didn't have to do that.

Ontario - I'll have to wait for the magnesium. I normally take a raft of vitamins and minerals and I'm on a medical "hold" on taking anything until I see the surgeon on 8/3.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am

Rig all good news. Sorry about the soreness from your WO yesterday. Praying that passes quickly. And I’m sure that residual weight is also still some inflammation hanging around in the knee area. Just keep eating well and you know it will all be ok.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 pm

M>F PT wow! thats a commitment! I hope it isn't too far a drive from your house.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Tomi, he comes to my house for the exercises. All the stuff needed is a 6 inch foam roller, some plastic bags to help my foot slide on carpet/couch/bed, and a long strap to help me increase the flexes on knee bending exercises. It takes about 90 minutes to work through the exercises.

After my 8/3 surgeon appt, I'm not sure what, if any, PT is going to occur.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:56 pm

OH - gotcha!!! Gosh, here, we have to GO to them. When I had my rotator cuff surgery my hubby had to drive me to PT the first week or two until I was able to get myself into the drivers seat of our Jeep and drive myself, with one arm - the left one. Good thing I drive an automatic.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:00 pm

My sister had both her knees done, about 18 months apart. Like you, the second one went better, possibly because with the worst one fixed first, she was able to be more active and was in decent shape for the second.
The Walrus
The Walrus

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:49 am

TW- I feel that is why I'm doing better, but also feel like my 2nd knee was doing extra work for the 40 yrs after my first knee's injury has a lot to do with it, it was no doubt much stronger for much longer before having to be fixed.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm

I was not clear about my AZ friend. She will only do one knee at a time but I definitely will be giving her your advice. thank you.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 am

Week 25 update Weight: 240.5  No change
Weight change is vs my 2 weeks ago number (pre surgery).  I seem to now be fairly stable on the weight front and hopefully will see some improvements on that score.  My digestive system is still off-kilter, wildly fluctuating appetite, upset stomach, etc etc resulting from the surgery. Hoping to see that stabilize this week.

We have finally had a break in the very hot weather and had a few days of normal summer, with lows in the 60's and highs in the 80's. No rain, so DW is getting a big break on grass cutting. I'm using a window exhaust fan overnight and a large floor fan sitting in front of our patio door to pull in the nice and cool early AM air, then sealing things up and waiting to see when the AC cuts on.

TKR: I'm very pleased with my results so far, in every regard. Range of motion is now 0-112 degrees. M2M mentioned range of motion objectives and I asked J about this, he said that 0-120 is what they are shooting for. He said that some people get up around 130.

From a scar standpoint, it looks like when the surgeon peels off the clear bandage this Friday the scar is going to look much cleaner than my right knee scar did, with very little puckering.  When moving around the house, I found myself on Tuesday beginning to forget to use my walker, so on Wednesday, I parked it near the doorway we use when going outside and I'm only using it when going outside.  For outside walking, the first day I walked down to the hedge row I used last year as a benchmark. Last year it took me nearly a week using that benchmark to advance to more distance. This year, I felt really good when I got there, and went past it to the corner. The next day I went all the way around the block, I'm pretty slow but steady.  I used the walker more for moral support than for a real need, I'm still a little concerned about a trip and fall incident setting me back, and the walker prevents that option. Friday I went to Aldi with DW for our weekly grocery run, totally an uneventful thing but a landmark as it was my first out of the house journey. I was pretty tired when we got home but no issues at all. DW found my cane out in the garage and I used it Saturday on my round the block walk, hardly needed it.  My PT J has me doing a fair number of exercises that are from week 4 post surgery schedule and beyond. The main one is air squats, which I'm doing using the walker for balance support and the squat is not much of a squat, more of a minimal knee bend while supporting my weight, a little bend brings a lot of pain. Have to admit that it will take some time for this to get close to a true squat.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:31 am

Rig all of this sounds awesome.

I’m sure the weight will start it’s downward trend again as the swelling continues to reduce and your activity resumes to pre-surg levels, along with getting your digestion back on track.

As to the TKR, that too was wonderful news about how quickly you are recovering this go round. I’m wondering if last year you may have been more hampered by this knee not being 100% than the actual surgery on the other knee. You had spent so long babying last years knee that it took it’s toll.

We too are getting a break in the weather. It feels wonderful. I have the air off for now and a few windows open. Our house is so well insulated that if I turn the air on it will run due to indoor temps vs outdoor.

Have an amazing day.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:41 am

Good to read your update. Happy you can walk as far as you can at this point. Truly wonderful that you are recuperating....just do not go over the edge and hurt yourself.

My weather has changed too. Thank goodness. I had not actually done much exercise during these awfully hot/humid days.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:22 am

Going into this TKR so well prepared is obviously paying off... it's great to hear you're recovering so steady and quick compared to last time.

Good for you!

Self-acceptance doesn’t mean that you’re no longer allowed to change anything about yourself. It means that you love yourself without condition, regardless of your flaws; that you can be both okay with yourself and committed to change, at the same time. - Sean Croxton
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:22 pm

A very good report, all round, Rig. Keep up the great recovery.
Annieh
Annieh

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Hey, great news all around! So pleased you are able to walk as far as you are, and are already less reliant on the the walker, using it more for protection than anything else.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:05 am

July Monthly Update
Rig D's 2018 weight and health campaign - Page 13 20180810
July was an outstanding month. Despite, or maybe because of my TKR, my weight dropped significantly with all the 5 lbs loss coming in the last two weeks since surgery. My measurements were in line with the weight loss, my waist going down an inch, and that was expected as I've been feeling thinner. I kinda got smaller all over, but can't account for my right calf measurement being 1.75 inches down. My left leg, thigh and calf were up significantly, as expected with swelling after the surgery. I'm surprised my thigh measurement was not bigger though, as I feel like my leg is really puffy.

TKR update – I've retired my cane. Yesterday I walked without it from my home down to the park and recreation center near us and back. This is normally about a 30 minute walk, and it took nearly an hour. I was thoroughly exhausted when I got back but I had no issues with the walk, other than just being very tired. My balance is great, my walking cadence is still slightly off but improving, and, of course, I'm quite slow. DW went with me to nurse me along and provide moral support.  Her normal walk is a good step faster than my normal, so I think I'm making her walk with me quite annoying as she has to really scale back her pace, with many pauses for me to catch up.  My biggest knee related issue now is sleeping, I'm having a really hard time at night sleeping in my bed, my left knee is painful no matter how I position it and no matter what I do with supporting pillows, etc. to ease things. I'm usually ending up sleeping on the couch. I think I will try letting out a bunch of air from our +25 yr old Sleepcomfort mattress to soften it up similar to the couch and see if that helps. I like sleeping on the harder surface, but if it is affecting my ability to get in a decent night's sleep, I'll adjust for a while before pumping it back up.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 am

Rig what an awesome report. Down 5 for the month is terrific, and I would guess it might be a bit more since you are still holding fluid in that leg.

Congrats on retiring the cane and making that long walk. That’s is fantastic news.

Sorry to hear about the sleep, but yes, play with the sleep number. When I was sleeping on ours, I had to fuss with the air occasionally as well. That might do the trick for a while.

Keep up the awesome work.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Well done! So pleased for your progress - both the weight loss and the walking.

I'm taking notes - try to be patient when T is dawdling, because if he is up and walking, that is wonderful progress and I shall be grateful. Long term it will get us both back to where we want to be.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Nice July report! Smile
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 am

I overdid something. After PT yesterday, I had my ice pack on the knee and took a nap. When I woke up, my knee was really painful. It was sore all over, but particularly painful on the outside back of the leg, just at and above the knee. I think I've strained something in there as it is still painful today. I took an oxycodone to knock the pain down, and subsequently have resumed my Tylenol. It is still quite sore today, enough that I've backed off on exercises until J comes for today's PT.

The good news is that letting some air out of the old Sleepcomfort did the trick, my sleep was much better last night with the substantially softer mattress.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 am

Ouch. Sounds like your hamstring. The PT will know. Yes, do take it easy and let him tell you how to proceed.

Happy to hear a softer mattress helped with the sleep and comfort.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 21 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum