Deep Down & Dirty

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

Re: Deep Down & Dirty

Post by Lovebird on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:00 am

Lots of caregiving and supporting going on as DM was down with the flu for about a week, still recovering. Somehow managed to catch up on some (health) coaching lessons as well, by prioritizing them over other internet related stuff. Cool Foodwise it was the same as usual, just a bit more seafood (salmon/sardines/scallops) as well as game (deer and duck breast); decided on skipping the planned wine, just because. Love the roasted sweet potatoes/parsnips, contrary to DS.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:56 pm

LB so sorry to hear your DM was down with the flu. I’m so glad you could be there for her. Sounds like awesome food to me Smile
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:00 am

Hey LB, that's real awesome news! Sorry, didn't catch it before. Congrats to your son for such a fine effort in his studies. Says a lot about his parents, too.

Working on similar goals - SLEEP going to bed earlier and lots of water which I believe had a lot to do with moving that clot out.

Yes, taking care of moms is most important. I append my moms meals with a multi plus Vit C, D to stave off any germs threatening.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:33 am

Narrowminded wrote:LB so sorry to hear your DM was down with the flu. I’m so glad you could be there for her. Sounds like awesome food to me Smile

Thanks NM. I do remember you love game, venison right? To be there for our parents/spouses/kids in times of need... she's been living on her own since Dad's demise, which makes it difficult to navigate and give the right amount of care/support yet keep her as independent as possible.

Thanks HFF. Apparently it's called 'Computer Science & Engineering' and it's way beyond my field of expertise. Told you he's a smart one. Wink

At the moment I'm learning about Gallbladder & Liver. Smile Very interesting.

Wish I had more control over my Mom's eating as I keep telling her she should eat more protein and snack less sweet stuff (lots of fruits too). Took up on the advice of others here and prepped some food for her to put in the freezer. Very Happy Not that she doesn't cook decent meals on her own, because she does, however sometimes convenience takes over. Which I get, totally, as living on your own makes it easy to succumb unless you're actively going against that and put yourself first and foremost healthwise, to be able to support others that are counting on you, and to live a good life, filled with movement and play. She's doing great, really, but some periods are more difficult than others... which I'm sure you all understand as well.

It's March! Spring Month and for me the beginning of the Year. sunny
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am

I remember my grandmother saying one of the hardest things for her after my grandfather passed was cooking meals for just one person. I wish I had thought to cook for her then, but I was a young college student and then wife with children struggling to make ends meet.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 am

The things we learn just by growing up and becoming aware...

I cooked some meals for my Mom in the beginning as well (2 years ago), just to help her out, but the hardest part for her is eating alone (as well as coming home to an empty house). She usually preps her meals in larger quantities and freezes 2/3 of it, while eating 1 for dinner. She has a well stocked big freezer. Yet no microwave.

It's a good thing Spring is around the corner. Somewhere. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am

To be there for our parents/spouses/kids in times of need...

And I didn't mean to exclude anyone on purpose... ofcourse whomever you feel close to, regardless of ties, be it friends/relatives/neighbours. As long as you remember to take care of yourself too. I love you
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 pm

That convenience food thing... my husband has been trying to talk more frequently with his mom and often asks about what she has been eating, both trying to help her remember to eat enough and to eat quality foods that don't raise her blood sugar. He often calls me after talking to her just so he can talk with "someone with some sense". Her preferred foods are cereal, bread, and crackers with the odd banana here and there, and she is far more focused on what she can't have than all the wonderful foods she can have. Still, there have been small bits of progress.

Hopefully your mom will continue to cook. It seems like when cooking stops, the really bad foods start, although maybe the food is less bad in Europe?

Spring is indeed coming!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:11 pm

So sorry to hear that your MIL has such trouble with implementing less sugary foods, especially with the (pre-)diabetes warning. Not an easy thing to deal with.. but neither is changing very long term habits. BTDT It's like they don't get how important it is (and how simple it can be once the switch is made).

I don't think my mom will give up cooking soon. She loves her veggies, cooked as well as raw. And fish/eggs. Just doesn't care much for meat anymore, unless it's stew or game. And it's not very likely she'll quit her fitness routine twice a week either. Smile Especially once the sun comes out and the flowers start to bloom she'll be much better than now. Feb was hard for her to deal with.

It all comes down to the choices we make, there's good and bad foods everywhere it seems. She loves to get her fresh groceries at the market. And she's using butter nowadays, thanks to my persistence. Baby steps.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:17 pm

LB I love venison, never had duck, although I’m sure I’d like it. Can’t find it in store, only restaurant around here. Sad. Probably why I never had it. The venison I eat is gifts from others who hunt.

As someone who mostly cooks only for me, I agree it’s tough, and I love to cook, and love good food. However dragging everything out sometimes seems like a chore for one. I do freeze if it’s something that makes a big batch. DH gets tube feedings.

Cooking for my folks is the only way, at this point, they will get good food. Mom, being diabetic T2 only wants to hit the bread, cookies etc. So if what I made is enough for 2 meals in a container and they eat that for lunch and dinner I’ll be thrilled. Generally when she makes a sandwich it’s all bread and very little meat/cheese. This way we lose gluten/grains for lunch and dinner. That’s a win in my book. Hopefully it will help her start to feel better as well.

I’m sure your mom appreciates the gift of food. It sounds like she has a pretty good handle on it though, visiting the fresh markets is huge.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:37 am

NM, the duck breast we buy is not wild. The frozen kind is available all year AFAIK, the fresh only during winter months (like the game meats). Never tried to cook a whole duck. Yet. Smile I did buy a whole free range chicken yesterday, because it's been a while, usually only get thighs/wings/breast.

I realize that's why you cook for them and love that you do. It's an entirely different situation, but at least you have an opportunity to do what you feel is best for them.

Posting this here despite wanting to share it with M2M, in the hopes she reads it anyway Smile :

"Masterjohn talked about a method of getting the collagen into the tendons from some study. Take collagen (hydrolyzed/peptides) together with vitamin C 20-30 min before workouts. The idea is to have collagen amino acids in the blood when working out, when the tendons gets more blood flow.

This is a window of opportunity, because the tendons normally does not get much blood flow, and therefore supplementing other times is a slow way of rebuilding tendons. It was measured in the study to get significantly more collagen into the tendons."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeGa6jo6zI

BTW The quote was not from the vid, but (a comment to) a blog I like to read and learn from.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:00 am

https://www.c-span.org/video/?440485-1/why-eat-eat

Why You Eat What You Eat by Rachel Herz.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 pm

LB I have not seen duck here where we live, frozen or otherwise. We are definitely backwards with dietary things here.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 am

Don't you just love it when you can check off important things on your list? Very Happy Especially tax related stuff. Catching up on the course when the more urgent things are dealt with.

With all the news that's going on about the flu I'm very happy that my Mom is back to her normal relatively healthy self and did not end up with pneumonia like several others of her peer group or even younger. This cycle is taking far too long and hits people hard... Sad
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am

Glad your mom is doing better. Good job getting caught up.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:11 am

Thanks Kathi. Just in time as well. Smile

DS looked very handsome and confident in his slim-fit suit and tie at the ceremony. Like hubby he prefers casual, and luckily for his job (which he already started) it doesn't matter most of the time, aside from special occasions like this.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuristicfireflower on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:48 am

Lovebird wrote:

Posting this here despite wanting to share it with M2M, in the hopes she reads it anyway Smile :

"Masterjohn talked about a method of getting the collagen into the tendons from some study. Take collagen (hydrolyzed/peptides) together with vitamin C 20-30 min before workouts. The idea is to have collagen amino acids in the blood when working out, when the tendons gets more blood flow.

This is a window of opportunity, because the tendons normally does not get much blood flow, and therefore supplementing other times is a slow way of rebuilding tendons. It was measured in the study to get significantly more collagen into the tendons."

OH wow, that's excellent info on repairing tendons and probably ligaments, too.  

It's good to read that your mom is conscientious about food and health.  Makes it easier on the kids.   My mom basically eats what is in the house - Translated; what I bring home.  SO it's on me to keep the eats as nutritious and simple as I possible can.
Heuristicfireflower

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Lovebird wrote:Posting this here despite wanting to share it with M2M, in the hopes she reads it anyway Smile :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeGa6jo6zI

BTW The quote was not from the vid, but (a comment to) a blog I like to read and learn from.

Hey, thank you for this! I have long tended to focus on what I ate after working out (getting some protein mostly). Will definitely look into giving my body a boost pre-workout.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 am

Any time! Always nice when something is considered helpful by others too. Very Happy

Took a time out from internet (not completely, yet severly limited) as we had some very nice spring like days... far too nice to stay inside and there's plenty to be done in the backyard/terrace, plus enjoying the warmth... unlike the coming weekend when it's gonna dip below normal (for the time of the year) again and snowing. Sad Prepped some sauerkraut pork butt for that, and might make some beef stew as well. Wink

Food was not much different from our usual, aside from the tiramisu I made for dessert  Embarassed ... could have made these: http://eatnourishing.com/recipe/coconut-flour-lady-fingers/ as the rest is rather primal (not too much sugar, eggs/mascarpone/espresso and a tiny amount of booze (coffee liqueur this time, Tia Maria) but I couldn't be bothered. Enjoyed without feeling guilty, as dinner itself was chicken&veggies.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:14 am

I envy your warmer temps and time outside. I am getting anxious like everyone who lives with snow.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:33 am

I can imagine... especially up North... Doc has got the better weather though, being even more South. And don't forget Kathi and the other Texans... Great, now I'm envious too. Laughing

Got pretty much all groceries today. Beef (blade steak)/Lamb chops/Chicken thighs/Duck breast/Eggs/Bacon. They did not have any Romanesco... which is definitely a cool veggie, but I got an artichoke instead, to try.  Cool

Got spinach/carrots/cucumber/leek/celery/fennel and chicory as well. Onion/garlic are staple foods.

Today's dinner will be previously mentioned pork butt with sauerkraut (prepped yesterday, 2/3 went into freezer) with potato mash. Friday lamb chops with leek and fennel and panfried potatoes. Saturday Rendang, made with the blade steak, with cucumber and rice noodles. Sunday chicory with ham and cheese (oven dish). Sounds like a solid plan to me. Very Happy Leftovers will end up in the freezer, for us and Mom (she loves the Rendang). Duck was bought frozen (future dinners) and chicken thighs will probably end up for lunch on the weekend (or the lamb chops, depending on DS).

Bacon and eggs are for lunch. With peppers/onions/tomatoes, already here.

Today however it's the remains of the chicken soup, with plenty of veggies. Smile
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:02 am

We are pretty much into the mid-70s from now on after a dip to high-60s Monday. Tomorrow and all weekend we will be low-80s.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Oh, Romanesco was a "featured" veggie yesterday when I popped into Whole Foods. I've never tried it but thought it looked very much like a fancy cross between something... maybe broccoli and cauliflower? It is pretty.

Those first lovely days of spring are such a treat. So glad you were outside and enjoying them.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Meant2Move wrote:Oh, Romanesco was a "featured" veggie yesterday when I popped into Whole Foods. I've never tried it but thought it looked very much like a fancy cross between something... broccol anid maybecauliflower? It is pretty.

Those first lovely days of spring are such a treat. So glad you were outside and enjoying them.

Yes. I got a govt flyer that included that veggie. Apparently, if you eat it raw, it tastes more like cauliflower, but cooked, it tastes more like broccoli. Or vice versa. confused
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 am

Pedidoc wrote:We are pretty much into the mid-70s from now on after a dip to high-60s Monday.  Tomorrow and all weekend we will be low-80s.

You just had to rub it in, didn't you... Laughing Can't wait for the sun to kiss my skin... when it's sunny everything seems so much easier and lighter. Not too hot though, not one for extreme weather either way.
Lovebird

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next