My renewal...

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: My renewal...

Post by Rig D on Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 am

Good to see you back posting, am glad your honeymoon was good.
Your baking soda experience is intriguing, I would not have expected such results from taking it.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun May 06, 2018 10:49 am

Happy to hear you had a wonderful time and things are getting set for your garden.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Sat May 12, 2018 9:18 pm

So glad you had a good time! And thanks for the baking soda tip - I'm finding it to be very beneficial, in fact almost startlingly so. Really helping with my poor swollen hand on the end of my poor swollen arm with a few broken bones in it!
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm

It has been a while! It has been a mix of good and bad.

I am still working on my belly. I think the pain has been caused by two things, the diverticulitis and Crohnes. I may have come to terms with eating no hard to digest foods like nuts and seeds. Well mostly. I will still "test" foods and suffer for it. Baking soda does wonders for diverticulitis but I don't really notice a difference in my auto-immune issues. But the over-all pain has improved greatly, as long as I am very careful.

The most difficult thing has been that my brother passed away unexpectedly at the end of June. He failed to show up for work and they found him dead in his recliner. He was only 58. We finally got the autopsy results last week.. it was a heart attack brought on by an enlarged heart. He did not take care of himself and refused to go to the doctor for months and months. It hit both me and my remaining sister hard, since it was just 9 months after losing our middle sister. We are now working on getting the family farm ready to sell. When I was there in early July, we filled a huge dumpster and my sister is going back this weeekend to fill another. We all will be back in early September for an estate sale and to get rid of the last things. You should never have probate open on two family members at the same time! It is a little sad since the farm has been in our family for 45 years but neither one of us wants it. E is flying out with me in September so he can see where I grew up and to help with the clean up. Hopefully both parcels will sell quickly.

Otherwise, life is good. E is wonderful. Daisy is chugging along. She is slowing down but still has moments of goofiness. She has not been happy with extreme heat we have been having. She declines our invitations to go outside and tootle in the yard, preferring to watch us through the storm door, while enjoying the a/c. Potty time has been the only time she ventures out and just long enough to do her bidness.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:14 pm

I am so sorry, what a sad shock.

Are the estates in probate because there were no wills? I'm asking because I suspect (fear?) such may be in our future with a sibling who I doubt has a will.

I'm pleased you've mostly found ways to minimize/mitigate the pain, but so sorry you are having issues at all.

Be at peace, Val.
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Val so sorry about the loss of your brother and all the works left for you. Sending peace.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 pm

+1.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Annieh on Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Oh Val, that's tough. Peace to you, and strength to get all the work done.
Annieh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Walrus on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:14 pm

So sorry about your brother. I've lost two siblings also, such a fraught situation. Glad you have Daisy and E! Take care -
The Walrus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your brother, V. I am glad E and Daisy are taking care of you.
Pedidoc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.
tomi1000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 pm

M2M- Thank you Both estates are in probate. We might have been able to avoid it if either on of them had added a beneficiary to their bank accounts . Each state has different rules on what requires probate but it is a slow and expensive . The threshold in CA is $100,000 of real and personal property.

NM, Rig, TW, Annie, Pedidoc and Tomi: Thank you. It has been tough but I am working towards peace. Going back to my hometown for his funeral made my sister's death more real, which has made this more difficult. We had them both buried together. My sister had been cremated, they just included her ashes in his casket. Oddly that me feel better that neither is alone.

My remaining sister and her husband worked on emptying the main house this weekend. We have 46 years of stuff to go through and no one there was ever interested in Tidying Magic! We are going to have a huge estate sale., I mean REALLY HUGE! We have a couple people seriously interested in both pieces of property so once my sister gets her authorization from the probate court, we may be able to accept the offers and get started. She also made a dent is selling the many, many boats, trailers and vehicles. Did I mention there are three generations of crap accumulated over 46 years?!?

I borrowed an idea from M2M and started tracking my weight and exercise on a white board. I am hoping it helps keep me motivated and on track. I am down a lb from last week so that is good but I have been bouncing up and down two lbs for a while.

I am working my way to keto. I also need to moderate my meat intake a bit. I need to be careful to get enough to prevent anemia but my numbers were a little normal high this last time. We went to philly this weekend and got meat from our favorite butchers. We packaged it in smaller one meal packages and froze it. I think we got a good 18-20 lbs of various summer vegetables this week from the CSA so I should plenty of low carb veggies. Plus our garden is starting to produce as well.

Off the pick green beans before it starts raining again!

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LoonieJ on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:46 am

V, I'm so sorry.

People are pretty in tune with the pain of losing a parent or child, but sometimes we forget how hard it is to lose a sibling.

As always, I hold you in my heart,
J
LoonieJ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:11 am

Sorry about your recent sibling losses. I cannot imagine losing two...I have lost one who was only 47 to leukemia. However, this was a long process and not out of the blue. The shock of the loss must be awful.

Sorry for your losses VH.
perennialpam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:07 pm

J and Pam, thank you. It means so much!

I am still working through it and it impacts my sleep at night. I know from losing my parents that is a process and it will take time but sometimes I feel a little obsessed with death. I worry about my own health issues. I worry about E. I worry about my remaining sister. But each day, I am reining in the fear and enjoying life as I know each moment is precious and not guaranteed.

Today is rainy and cool! I am taking great joy in that as I do not remember the last time it was this cool! We have the windows open and drank our morning beverages on the porch, listening to the rain! Today included a walk sort of in between the storms. It was drizzly but nice to be out anyway. Not a lot of outdoor walks lately because Daisy can't seem to handle the heat as she is getting older.

We went to the kitchen design place we want to remodel our kitchen! They are coming out in early September to measure the kitchen and develop a plan. It would be sooner but they are on a two week break starting this week. It works out ok since we aren't looking to start until mid October. We are so excited! We have been looking at cabinets and appliances. We already know what we want for the most part but are open to their suggestions. I want black/blackish shaker cabinets, quartz countertops in a marble finish and white subway tile backsplash with some sort of bold accent. I am going for a more classic design that won't age too fast. It will be nice to have a well designed kitchen we both can work in together. And have counterspace and storage!

Today we are also doing our prep for the week. A pot of spicy sausage and burger spaghetti sauce or Sunday sauce as it is known in Jersey is bubbling away. I will run some zucchini through the mandolin to make zoodles later. Tonight we are have corned beef and cabbage with carrots. E travels this week so this, along with the leftover grilled chicken thighs from last night, will last me until he returns. I don't tend to cook as much when he is gone in the summer so he has been making sure I have easy meals before he goes. I love that man!

I am loving the summer fruit this week! We bought a lug of peaches and froze four quart bags yesterday. I will freeze the remaking as they fully ripen. We also got a watermelon and cantaloupe from the Csa yesterday, which I will cut up later today. We can have those with the remainder of the CSA blackberries! Not a fruit but between our green beans and the CSA, I started freezing beans too for winter. I still have a few nectarines to finish. The only thing I really miss from California are tree ripened apricots. They don't grow well here and don't ship well but the nectarines are a treat!

Exercise last week was better but there is room for improvement, especially on the walking/elliptical front. I did lots of strength building. Steady improvement is what I am going for right now.

Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 pm

I forgot to mention that I started supplementing with some vitamins and other things, including a multivitamin again. I have noticed an improvement in my overall feeling of wellness. I am not sure what I was missing but I think I will keep doing what I am doing for now and adjust if I need to in the future. So currently I am taking a fish oil, Choline (can't tolerate eggs at the moment), a low dose multi, calcium with all the things you need to use it (I think it is called Bone up) since I can't eat any dairy, vit d, lysine to prevent cold sores and Shingles. I stopped Magnesium since it was causing heart palpitations. I am taking something else that I don't recall. Maybe I need something for my memory! I am also doing a collagen/mct powder that I add to my tea in the morning with inulin fiber and a splash of coconut milk. It keeps me full until lunch on most days.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm

V what an awesome report. All that good frozen food sounds wonderful. What a treat that will be when winter hits.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 am

The kitchen remodel project should be a big challenge with hopefully an eye-pleasing and functional improvement.
+1 on doing what makes you feel better. Keep it up!
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:53 am

Peaches and beans are frozen!  It is wonderful to have them to augment what is available in the winter.  We are very lucky that our CSA has a late fall and winter season but it is a lot of greens and storage veggies.  We also have local apples all winter but the peaches will be a nice treat.  We just need to find bulk tomatoes to can.  So far they have not been available because of the weather.  Hopefully soon.  

E put together our new growing shelves so we can grow micro greens all winter and start seeds next spring.  I am pretty excited to try growing micro greens and mezza greens!  Micro greens are sprouts that grow to the point of the two leaves and are grown in soil.  Mezza greens are between micro greens and baby greens.  I bought a mix of our favorites to grow.  I am sure there will be a learning curve but I am excited!

Adding back in a low dose multivitamin without iron was smart.  Each day I have felt stronger since I added it.  Obviously, with my restrictions, I am missing something from my diet.  I actually felt up to weedwacking yesterday!  

Today I need to do midweek grocery shopping. We did our weekly shopping on Friday last week so this morning E's milk was bad and his breakfast ham was slimy.  Plus tomorrow I am going to smoke a pork rib roast and need a few things for that.  I might also pick up a brisket to corn.  I really like corned beef but the curing salts in the commercial products case joint pains.  Fortunately making my own is easy but requires planning.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 am

V how exciting with all the good food you put up and your new greens project. I am really excited for you.

Happy to hear the vitamin is helping with energy.

Oh I have to learn how to corn beef, I love corned beef as well. If you have a good recipe, would you mind sharing?
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:13 am

I use this as my base recipe: https://wellnessmama.com/4420/corned-beef-brisket/

I use a prepared pickling spice mix that I augment additional spices and I do not add beet juice since I don't care about the color. I add extra juniper berries, pepper corns and cardamom pods. I also leave it in brine longer, from 10 days to two weeks. I then rinse it well and soak it an hour in plain water before cooking it. I cook it in fresh water and a new bag of pickling spices. You can pickle rounds too, which are leaner.

You can make pastrami from this as well but that takes a few more steps.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 am

I'm jealous of your peaches. We planted a peach tree a couple of years ago and have yet to get a crop off it. We had a lot of blooms early, none matured into fruit.
Rig D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 on Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Rig D wrote:I'm jealous of your peaches. We planted a peach tree a couple of years ago and have yet to get a crop off it. We had a lot of blooms early, none matured into fruit.

I never got peaches from my peach trees in California either thanks to our evil squirrels that loved green peach pits. Now I buy them from a local orchard/farm. They grow most of the fruits you can grow in NJ so we go there a few times a month for the latest goods. I do well growing vegetables but I have not had a lot of luck with fruit trees. We just planted black berries so hopefully my luck will change.
Vh67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded on Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:30 pm

Thanks for the tip on the corned beef. Love Wellness Mama’s site. I’ll look that up.
Narrowminded

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm loving your stories about the garden, the veggies, canning and preserving. We did so much of that when I was a kid and I loved to help. I haven't picked it up because our kitchen and house are tiny/no storage, but someday I would love to.

Your recent comment about the white board and doing more strength than cardio inspired me to get my butt in gear and do some of the things I've been skimping on... now my butt is killing me! But in the best possible way... Hiking/bicycling cardio keeps me sane, but I really need the strength work too. Thanks for the reminder!
Meant2Move

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum