Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Kindle or equivalent

4 posters

Go down

New Kindle or equivalent Empty New Kindle or equivalent

Post by ekba Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:41 pm

My 2009 Kindle 2 is now unupdateable (at least not without jumping through a bunch of hoops), so I am looking at a replacement. During covid I was always at home and I switched to using my iPad. Now that I am travelling again, I would prefer just a reader and not take my iPad everywhere.

Any thoughts or recommendations on models? I don’t do audio books. I really liked the simplicity of the Kindle 2. I prefer page turn buttons to screen swiping (just easier on an airplane).

I had a crazy thought to keep using the iPad at home and buying actual books for travelling. Or even going to the library - although with municipal budget cuts our city is down to one branch with flaky hours. I did have a waitress one time who made fun of my “old timey” Kindle. Lord knows how she would react to a book.

Anyway - all thoughts and experience will be appreciated.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

New Kindle or equivalent Empty Re: New Kindle or equivalent

Post by Pedidoc Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:53 pm

I had the original kindle and it became obsolete several years ago. I have had the paperwhite since 2014. I like it and have gotten used to the swiping of pages.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:57 pm

I also have a paperwhite, but mine might be a second version. I like the way it is lit and you can tap vs swipe on mine. It's still nice and small, smaller than my orginal with keyboard. Not sure mine allows you to listen so since you don't want that it's not a big deal. I did put a case on mine to protect the screen. Just checked my back orders, it is a 2017, 7th gen 6" built in light and wi-fi w/ads. They ads have never been an issue, because so far they have only been for books.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 am

Third vote for the Kindle Paperwhite. My husband is going through the same thing you are and has been very stubborn about trying to find exactly what he had with no luck so far.alien

If only there was a way for you to look at one in real life...
Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Hmm. A smart aleck.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Best Buy used to carry them in-store. You could check. I bought my first one through them and did look at my paperwhite there as well.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:31 pm

I ordered a Paperwhite today. It was randomly $45 off list price. Probably means a new model comes out next week. I got a cloth cover because it was cheap.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum