Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Luck Tonight, American Friends!

+4
ekba
Rig D
Annieh
Pedidoc
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Good Luck Tonight, American Friends! - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Luck Tonight, American Friends!

Post by Rig D Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:58 am

If you are eligible to vote, you should register and vote. I would not want to have mandatory voter registration. If a person doesn't have enough interest, gumption, or care about what's going on they should not participate. They also should not gripe about what happens downstream if they take that path.

The big issue on registration is maintaining accurate, complete voter rolls and enforcing the eligibility requirements for registering to vote. In the last 15 -20 years there has been a big push from mainly Dems that if you are a warm body living in the country (including illegally entered aliens) you should be eligible to vote. You see this in the push to "same day" registration/voting. It gets hard to manage when some states will now provide driver's licenses to anyone.There is also a big issue that occurs whenever there is an effort made to clean/verify the voting rolls, where there may be dead folks still registered, and possibly many who have moved elsewhere.

I'd be in favor of having national election days be a holiday. I'd also prefer to see required in person voting, and allow absentee ballots for the few people who are physically unable to be present due to travel or infirmity (gee, isn't that what "absentee" was meant to be?). Being on the extreme end, I'm in favor of enforcing identity verification rules at the polls to verify the person is, in fact, registered at that location. I also like the "purple dye thumb" to show you'd voted, although with a system like was used here, having a person do multiple votes would be pretty hard to do.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Good Luck Tonight, American Friends! - Page 2 Empty Re: Good Luck Tonight, American Friends!

Post by ekba Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:19 pm

Annieh wrote:
ekba wrote:

Looks like turnout here was about 70%, which is higher than usual.

So would that be 70% of registered voters?  Or 70% or the population?  How many eligible are actually registered?  

I assumed we had close to 100%, but now I learn it's actually more like 90%, so clearly there is not a lot of enforcement going on.

That is 70% of eligible voters. Eligible means US citizens, age 18 and older, minus convicted felons in some states. Historically, about 20-25% of eligible voters do not register. Typical voter turnout is 55-60% of eligible voters.

Even at 70% turnout, we still have at least 60 million people who chose not to vote.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:42 pm

Rig I totally agree with showing ID to vote.

For those that don't live in the US, ID to vote has been a hot topic. The insistance is that having to show ID will somehow keep people from voting. I disagree due to the fact that you do indeed need ID to fly, to drive a car, to sign up for unemployment or welfare. Heck you even need to show ID to go to the Dr. With all those and more being the case, how would it dienfrancise someone from voting? They wouldn't be able to do anything much at all without ID, so they would have something to show. What it would do is help with the idea that there could be fraudulent votes.

As to Rig's mention of people being on the rolls who have moved. I know for a fact that that happens. My GF who lived here with us for a while gets mail all the time including a few applications for mail in ballots just this election. She lives and votes in FL. Her name has never been taken off the rolls. Interesting though is it seems her DH's has as I don't get the same mail for him. I don't know what party they are affliated with or who they voted for. I think I might know, but I don't have proof. It really doesn't matter though. What matters is that she could have voted here and there had I forwarded the applications to her. Instead they went in the trash, and she is not the type to do that either.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:05 am

Hence the old saying: vote early, vote often
And the newer one: My Dad voted for X. He never would have done that if he was alive.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by tomi1000 Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:24 pm

I think the only way to clean up the voter registration mess is to wipe the slate clean and start over every 4 years. No ID - no registration. Illegals should not be allowed a voice in the elections. Period. You want a vote - become a legal citizen.
tomi1000
tomi1000

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Well. It looks like we need some luck tonight.

Insurrectionists storming the Capitol. A pathetic response by the Capitol Police. Confederate flags marched through the Capitol. All egged on by the President, who continues to spout despicable lies.

Shameful.

Last edited by ekba on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:23 pm

It is disturbing in so many ways. I wonder how the locals will act now. Scared actually.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Your friends to the North are tuned in. We're shaking our heads. That sort of action will change nothing. We're stunned.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:18 pm

What I saw on the news tonight showed the President giving a speech telling everyone to go home peacefully. i did not see anything, but recap as I was at work. I'm not sure how telling people to leave peacefully and tweeting the same was egging them on. Like I said, I saw nothing live.

However, I want to make something very clear. I condemn all violent protests. I condemned BLM/whatever you want to call it that happened earlier this year and I also condemn any violence that happened today.

Unfortunately what I see from recap news is them calling one that was full of rioting, destruction and stealing - peaceful and the other as being the worst thing ever. I cannot agree with that type of coverage.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:27 am

Narrowminded, agreed!

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am

Very ugly day. Trump's early speech did nothing to quell anybody wanting to go on a rampage. His late tweet was, imo, "ok" but certainly nowhere near strong enough to my taste for a "call to stop". I'm now waiting to see who, if anyone, is actually identified, arrested, and prosecuted for the Capitol invasion.

From what I've seen and heard, there were just a whole bunch of highly irregular, if not illegal actions taken in various states leading up to the election and on election night. Trump has enumerated a lot of these, they aren't lies, they are statements of allegations of wrongdoing. I may be wrong, but I don't think that any have been fully explored, either by the courts or by the media. The media only says "unfounded" at every opportunity, and ignores things like the video of the Georgia people pulling out the suitcases stuffed with ballots from under the tables and counting them after running off the poll watchers. You can put a whole bunch of fake ballots in 4 suitcases. The courts have refused to hear various cases on, again imo, pretty flimsy excuses related to timing and standing. The supreme court refused to hear Texas' suit on "no standing." IMO, that violates their constitutional duty to resolve disputes between states.

Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:12 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/04/us/politics/trump-georgia-election-fraud.html

There were no suitcases of fake ballots. You know this is true. You know that there was not massive fraud that turned the election. I don’t know why you continue to push this crap.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:56 pm

Ekba - I saw the same video that Rig saw. Maybe it wasn't fake ballots, but why wait to pull them out until after they send poll watchers home?

At this point, I truly don't know what or whom to believe. I do think there were irregularities that at least needed double checked. And i do know that changes were made here in PA, and not in accordance with the law. Did that cause fake ballots to be counted, I have no idea. However it was unconstitutional and just plain looks bad.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Why do you not believe the Republican election officials in Georgia when they tell you there was no fraud? Are they “in on it” too? And the Supreme Court? Former AG Bill Barr - is he “in on it” too?

Trump lies to you. Ted Cruz lies to you. Josh Hawley lies to you. They know they are lying. They have no respect for you.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:51 pm

Ekba in my mind, not a single politician has respect for us pleebs. They all want to keep their jobs in Washington so they will turn on each other if it means they get to stay there, that's why I don't believe any of them.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 am

I spent a fair amount of time looking at the State farm video of the ballot counting. Yup, the cases under the tables contained legit stuff. I am not warm and fuzzy with the actual ballot scanning, though. https://securevotega.com/factcheck/ has the best film I've been able to find. The 9:45 -1am section shows the actual ballot screening. The first video runs until 1 AM, the second, which has a much better view of all the counting stations only runs until midnight. The woman in purple is the only one you can see in vid 1, and the picture quality is poor, and the camera angle is bad, you can just barely see the scanner. There is some odd looking activity in it at 11:06 Pm and also at 12:19 where it looks like the same batch gets scanned multiple times. The woman at work station 3 looks like she had a fair amount of trouble with her scanner, it looks like it mis-fed a number of times, so station 1 may have had the same problem, the presumed supervisor came by shortly after 11 and looks like she did a cleaning effort on the "innards". I couldn't find video showing the good view of the scanner stations that ran from midnight on to better observe what happened shortly after midnight.

But it is all over and thank goodness we will soon have Dems in charge of everything. With people who graciously accepted the last round of elections like Hillary Clinton and Stacey Abrams (almost Ga. gov). Not to mention honest brokers like Pelosi, Schumer, and Schiff, who could ask for more?

And, NM, don't worry about that dusty old rag called the Constitution. We have been told for years that it is obsolete, outdated, and needs revision to keep up with the times, so you can selectively ignore the parts you don't like.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2