Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some surprising blood sugar observations

3 posters

Go down

Some surprising blood sugar observations Empty Some surprising blood sugar observations

Post by OnTheBayou Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 am

The first day I put myself back on the chain gang, I thought I would start with the potato hack. But I'm fearful that I will miss out on protein, especially being of a class that needs higher than usual protein. As in, Old. So I thought, why not combined these two insulogenic macros and go through high insulin once per day, eat mostly meat, dairy, eggs the rest of the day.

Two days in I ate a pound of gold potatoes, pre-boiled, fried without fats. A cup of whey, and bone broth and powdered cocoa. Lesser things like magnesium and a few amino acid powders. Close to 800 kcals, IIRC.

I can't go back to the exact numbers because my glucometer died and I've replaced it. What I do remember reading, I think at the 60 minute post-prandial mark, something well over 200 units! 250? Heart attack. I checked again later, and later again, (times not verifiable) and I observed that my BS PLUMMETED going way below my baseline in a couple of hours!

I did some research, and indeed there are peer reviewed articles showing that eating protein with carbs can reduce the peak by 27% or such. I don't recall if the protein was meat or whey, I think the former. Whey, of course, is quickly digested, just like the starchy carbs. Hmmmm.........

I wasn't losing weight, so I veered away from the hack of the potato hack, going heavy on meat. I still made protein/supplement shakes most days. Protein ran 150-220 g/day. Carbs mostly 75-100, sometimes more, sometimes less. While high protein meals did not bump up from baseline much, 20-40 points, it took three to four hours to return to baseline. As is normal, there was always a bit of "undershoot" below the baseline, but not much.

STILL not losing weight. Been thinking about the potato hack hack again for a few days. My morning FBG had ticked up to 121 once again. (And weight back up 2.5 pounds!) Yesterday morning I fried w/o fats 12 ounces of potatoes. Topped with some green chile salsa, (and yes, chile with an e is the correct spelling, chili refers to the mix with tomatoes, etc., "a bowl of..") no fat or oil. A shake, .5 cup whey, .25 cup egg protein, 2 TBL cocoa, sweetener, above mentioned small additions. 66g carbs, 56 protein, 5 fats. 522 calories. I decided to test every 15 minutes the first hour, then 30 minute intervals after that.

Well, well. 15 min, already at 200. 30 minutes, 204, obviously about the peak. But remember I started @121! 45 min already down to 159! At one hour, 106, 15 points under FBG baseline! Ninety minutes, 92! Two hours, 101. Three hours, 97. Just starting to feel hungry.

My next meal was beef and again, potato. 735 kcals. Similar ratios except for the fat of the meat now. Peak was delayed to 45 minutes @ 135, hit the rebound low of 107 @ 90 mins. So, slower reaction, as expected with meat instead of whey, and a PP low of 107 instead of 92.

The fact that I can swamp the blood with glucose and protein and suddenly drop bloo dsugar radically, makes me think my pancreas is making adequate insulin. And as a corollary, that I don't display insulin resistance when protein and starch are eaten together! The test will be starch alone.

Maybe I'll try that this morning.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Some surprising blood sugar observations Empty Re: Some surprising blood sugar observations

Post by OnTheBayou Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 am

Human pincushion reporting again.  Yesterday AM, 330 calories of just potato and salsa.  69g of carbs.  Peaked at 45-60 minutes @ 225.  Started down, but did not hit baseline until three hours later. Virtually like protein except a higher peak.

Two conclusions: I still am insulin resistant, although I've experienced worse OGTT results. Two, combining protein and carbs at VERY roughly 1:1 is some kind of magic to keep the average blood sugar way down, even lower than morning baseline.

For lunch I had lamb, blue cheese, and pototoes, carbs and protein almost exactly 1:1, just under 600 kcals.  An hour later, 111, two hours, 108.  

FBG this AM, 85.

I report, you ponder.  Optional, of course.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Some surprising blood sugar observations Empty Re: Some surprising blood sugar observations

Post by Narrowminded Sat May 18, 2019 8:12 am

OTB- I have noticed similar. Not necessarily by checking numbers, but by weight loss. If I keep the two almost 1:1 I will lose and lose quickly, if I get out of balance either way, bang I stall.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Sat May 18, 2019 8:48 am

Interesting
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Tue May 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Days later, my observations (and Narrowminded's?) continue. If I eat close to the same grams of protein and carbs, blood sugars get back to baseline or below within 90-120 minutes. Way faster than either alone.

As the whole Banting/Atkins/Paleo/Primal weight loss theology is based on keeping insulin low as much as possible, this seems to be better than protein alone.

And being able to eat potatoes is highly satiating and satsifying. I found and reviewed that famous paper about foods and their satieties, and NOTHING comes close to spuds.

Fried potatoes, ketchup, yum. And good for you.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down