Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May I cry on y'alls shoulder(s)?

5 posters

Go down

May I cry on y'alls shoulder(s)? Empty May I cry on y'alls shoulder(s)?

Post by OnTheBayou Fri May 10, 2019 12:54 pm

I have gotten myself back on the diet chain gang, as I've mentioned, for 17 days. I've lost zero weight. OK, maybe a pound or two, fluctuating between 241-ish and 243-ish. This, despite an average caloric deficit of OVER 1000 kcals/day! I base that on experiments in the past when I found that when I don't exercise, just doing daily living, I need 2800-2900 kcals/day to maintain weight. And I think that was when I weighed quite a bit less.

And, no, I'm not lacking for energy, no, it's not this or that short term, everything should be settled in. We all know CICO doesn't work to the degree of certainty that some would like, but it is still generally valid. Per sort of CICO I should have lost 5 pounds. I've seen that fact track true in the past, give or take.

And that deficit doesn't even count the TEF of my protein consumption, which has been high. Trying to spare muscle tissue, which I lost so much of the first time around a decade ago before I learned that weight loss often means some muscle loss. With TEF of protein, I'm at a 1200 OR MORE kcal/day deficit! Yet, no weight loss enough to matter and certainly not worth the agony of planning and recording everything.

Then last night I watched a video of Penn Jillette talking about how he lost 100 pounds. This is where I want to throw up: He did it in a bit over three months. Can you believe it? He started out with two weeks of the potato hack, although he didn't use the term. He got a bit fuzzy after that, but I think the thrust was that he would eat only one food at a time for extended periods to help lose interest in eating. Man, that's will power.

So, for three months, he lost, he says, .9 pounds a day! Here I am, .18 pound a day, 5.3 a month. My historical typical during these times is 8-10 pounds a month without this much deficit.

I might do another post of what I ate, etc. but for now I just needed to whine.

Thanks for listening.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

May I cry on y'alls shoulder(s)? Empty Re: May I cry on y'alls shoulder(s)?

Post by Narrowminded Sat May 11, 2019 8:28 am

OTB - while frustrating, losing 1-2 lbs per week is where you should be. It’s the kind of loss that will stay lost barring no very significant over eating for a very long time.

Another thing to remember is stress can cause weight gain and if you are stressing about losing you are defeating yourself.

Also, how often are you hoping on that scale? Need to avoid that thing like the plague for a month.

I say you’re doing great!
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 am

I too am having problems dropping the lbs. You only mention food, are you also getting exercise and decent sleep? For me, getting the bod moving is absolutely critical in seeing my physical well being index improve, as well as seeing the weight fall off.

I agree with NM, 1-2 lbs a week is where you want to be. When I lost from 270 or so down to 215 starting back in 2012, it took about a year and I was then stable for about 3 yrs before I let it balloon up again. My key thing then was to walk, I had to start slow, short distances and time and build build it up over time to a more rigorous effort.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat May 11, 2019 10:04 am

Well, I guess the secret to weight loss is to whine! I finally saw a whoosh since I wrote. 3.3 pounds in one day not doing a dang thing differently. This was really important psychologically because I got under 240. Yay! Even if I regain a bit, which I expect to, what a relief.

I sleep fine. My life is excellent, even if mateless. Perhaps it's excellent because I am mateless? Ha ha... No joy, but no stress there.

I've always weighed myself after I wakeup and after any bodily evacuations. It doesn't make sense to me to wait a week or whatever to find out what I'm doing isn't working. I remember long threads about this at the original MDA forum. What's more important is a good scale, i.e., one that is sturdy and repeats within a couple of tenths (if digital) if you step on and off and on, etc.

I didn't mention exercise because there ain't been none. I had a horrible dump on my bike in August; a two hour ride turned into a six hour one which even then ended with a park ranger giving me a ride home. The Ride From Hell.

Anyway, last week I got Ms. Trek fixed up and went for a short ride and then a long one this week. Hooray! Oops...........forgot to do the last dérailleur adjustment......chain went into the spokes..........hello, dumpola. Again. At least this time I landed on grass and I was only a mile from home.

More damage, I got a new dérailleur which I'll get on today or tomorrow. Weather here in south central Texas has been very cold all spring. Never even hit 70 yesterday. Raining like Florida every other day or more frequently. Not conducive to riding.

But the gods will no doubt turn the oven on soon and I'll be off riding again and weight loss will tag along.

Thanks, all!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Sat May 11, 2019 10:13 am

I agree about pace of weight loss. 1-2 pounds per week is good.

Observational research says that people who weigh themselves everyday have the best results. No causation shown, but it seems that the kind of people who do that also tend to be the kind of people who are successful at weight loss and maintenance.

Food reward is a major factor in regulating hunger, and simple foods may help to rewire how hungry you feel. Stephan Guyenet has written about it:
➡ Food Reward
➡ Losing Fat With Simple Food-- Two Reader Anecdotes
➡ Another Simple Food Weight Loss Experience
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sat May 11, 2019 1:55 pm

sharperhawk wrote:I agree about pace of weight loss. 1-2 pounds per week is good.

Observational research says that people who weigh themselves everyday have the best results. No causation shown, but it seems that the kind of people who do that also tend to be the kind of people who are successful at weight loss and maintenance.

Food reward is a major factor in regulating hunger, and simple foods may help to rewire how hungry you feel. Stephan Guyenet has written about it:
➡ Food Reward
➡ Losing Fat With Simple Food-- Two Reader Anecdotes
➡ Another Simple Food Weight Loss Experience

SH, it's not the 1 pound a week that is good or not, it's that I'm losing it WAY out of sync with even the wildest, most conservative CICO calculations. Way beyond margin of error stuff. And then there's Penn Jillette, 6 pounds a week.

I'll look at those links; I'm just a tiny bit familiar with Guyenet's beliefs. Jillette noted that eating "monofoods" as I think he called it, lowers the appetite. Which implies he was experiencing a lot of calorie restriction. Heck, if he ate nothing, he was still "eating" 3300 calories a day of fat. (And who knows how much muscle.)

I do find it interesting how palatibility and satiety interact. I've become enamored of Cookwell Green Chile Stew. It's hideously expensive at $9 for a quart jar, but it goes a long way, and I allocate it to the diet food expense column. Only 30 calories a quarter cup it's a high satiety food.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Sun May 12, 2019 11:19 am

OTB, I've been stuck in the 237-242 range for months, so I share your frustration. I'm currently at 237 3/4. So maybe a friendly race to 220 to provide a little competitive incentive? I weigh daily, much the same fashion as you do, but don't get hung up on day to day checks. I also record BP and heart rate daily, as well as a synopsis of the previous day food intake. I "officially" record my monthly weight and body stats. I also agree on having an accurate scale, we bought a balance beam scale that you used to see all the time in the MD's office, it reads very accurately, it was expensive when we bought it some 35 years back, but is a great device.

Hope your bike repairs go well and your Trek is fully in go mode today. As I said earlier, I think getting regular exercise is key to longer term success. As for weather, you in Tx aren't alone in soggy conditions. While we in Ohio haven't had the terribly heavy rains some Texas areas there have had, we have had a really wet spring, and lately quite cool.also.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Sun May 12, 2019 9:56 pm

OTB I hope that is your last bike dump and you are able to do much more throughout the summer.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Sun May 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Narrowminded wrote:OTB I hope that is your last bike dump and you are able to do much more throughout the summer.

Ha! I've owned this bike almost 20 years. I have had more issues, perhaps five times the issues, and the most bizarre issues in three years in Texas than 16-17 years in CO and FL. Flats, which I never have had because I use a Kevlar shield in the tires and lots of Slime in the thick walled tubes. I've had a pedal and crank arm just fall completely off while walking the bike home from a flat! Of course, did not notice when it happened, had to buy new parts. I do carry all kinds of tube repair stuff, air pump, etc. with me.

Then today, removing the old derailleur, under some spring loading, I just felt it not coming off straight. Sure enough, threads buggered when I tried to screw the new one on. Thank goddess for Amazon, a metric tap coming tomorrow for $8 to make clean, new threads.

Sigh. Ms. Trek, I accept I live in Texas, as much as I hate it. How about resigning to the reality, too?

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 am

I enjoy your sense of humor OTB. Smile I have no insight to offer otherwise.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon May 13, 2019 8:18 am

You are with Texas like many are with their jobs. You must choose between the 3L's: Like it, Lump it, Leave. So far, sounds like the second option prevails.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Mon May 13, 2019 9:23 am

Rig D wrote:You are with Texas like many are with their jobs. You must choose between the 3L's: Like it, Lump it, Leave.  So far, sounds like the second option prevails.

Well said, never heard that one. Yes, I lump it, I guess. I wouldn't be here if not for two facts. I have to live somewhere, and here I'm close to two of the three daughters.

The curse on my bike is statistically obvious.

Down under 240 again. Hopefully that 4 middle digit is in the rear view mirror.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon May 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Congrats on the loss.

So sorry about the bike troubles continuing. Hopefully soon you will have built a whole new bike and it should be have. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum