Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OnTheBayou

+4
Rig D
sharperhawk
OnTheBayou
Lovebird
8 posters

Go down

OnTheBayou Empty OnTheBayou

Post by OnTheBayou Wed May 01, 2019 10:34 am

ShelleyM wrote:Nice to meet you OTB. Smile

Likewise. What brought you here, how did you discover this forum?

I don't know if you have the history of this forum. In brief, www.marksdailyapple.com had a hugely robust Paleo/Primal forum. But over the years, we got a lot of nut cases and unkind arguers, then Paleo became almost history in terms of the internet, then the nail in the coffin, Mark stopped supporting the forums.

So a clean start was made here, invitation only. Remind me, all, who was it that labored to get it going?

My quick story is that when I weighed almost 280 pounds in 2009, I knew I had to do something. Primal/paleo made the most scientific sense to me. I am fond and accurate in saying that Mark Sisson saved my life. My weight and health has yo-yo'd over the years, but backsliding has always been my own fault.

So, I'm on Round Six? of regaining my health.

You? Maybe you posted earlier.

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

OnTheBayou Empty Re: OnTheBayou

Post by Lovebird Wed May 01, 2019 12:11 pm

PrimalForums was never invitation only. Ontario got it all started and had to find a way to let people know where to find us. As you can see it still works like a charm.

Back to top Go down

Post by OnTheBayou Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 pm

Lovebird wrote:PrimalForums was never invitation only. Ontario got it all started and had to find a way to let people know where to find us. As you can see it still works like a charm.

Yes, you are right. As I think about it, she selected people to advise where the new forum was. Those who didn't know couldn't make the move. Semantics!

OnTheBayou

Back to top Go down

Post by sharperhawk Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm

OnTheBayou wrote:Yes, you are right.  As I think about it, she selected people to advise where the new forum was.  Those who didn't know couldn't make the move.  Semantics!

This forum was plugged multiple times on the old MDA forum. A few of us changed our signatures to add a link. Anyone reading the posts could have found their way here. The problem was that by that time, few were reading the MDA forum.
sharperhawk
sharperhawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm

We still get new members that only found us by those links posted in sigs and several posts at MDA... like ShelleyM. Very Happy

I was over at Mark's Daily Apple forum. I am so grateful someone posted the link to this forum.  Smile

Good Luck with Round Six or whatever the number is, OTB! You can do this! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm

OTB, all credit to Ontario for launching this site. She made a good effort while MDA forums were still going to solicit people interested in a new Primal site and to let all the MDA folks know about it, and some of us found her/it sooner than others. After the initial surge, there were several folks like you that many of us remembered and made a determined effort to make sure you knew about this site. Some have stuck here, some haven't, but all in all we are still modestly growing, and some who seemed to have abandoned ship show up every once in a while.

I now have a part time job that allows me to meet and chat with all kinds of people and I still pass on MDA to those where the discussion goes to weight loss and health. I always throw Primalforums in the mix as a resource. I don't think any of these casual linkage efforts have resulted in new members though.

Hope your knee replacement has continued to be successful.

Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Thu May 02, 2019 12:30 am

Rig D wrote:After the initial surge, there were several folks like you that many of us remembered and made a determined effort to make sure you knew about this site.

While this is true where John Caton, JRosto and DavidA are concerned, to name a few, OTB joined on the same day as you, Rig, which would be day 1. Smile There were a number of people that were sent PMs when the forum was getting started, like NeckHammer and me, that hadn't come over just yet for a number of reasons, which might be the 'invitation only' OTB was referring to earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Thu May 02, 2019 10:57 pm

OTB wrote:Likewise. What brought you here, how did you discover this forum?

I don't know if you have the history of this forum. In brief, www.marksdailyapple.com had a hugely robust Paleo/Primal forum.

OTB wrote:You? Maybe you posted earlier.

I began the Primal lifestyle back in 2008-2010. I was a brief participant/lurker in the forum at MDA. Life happened and I returned to the SAD lifestyle. I decided in January that something needed to change. I wasn't getting any younger and was far from healthy. I weighed more than I ever had. Primal worked before. It was easy and comfortable. I had not completely lost all aspects of Primal and enjoyed it. I began at MDA again and was looking for support and answer to questions at the old forum. True, it was a mess, but I saw a link to this form and here I am. Smile

I started on January 15 and weighed 208 lbs. I could not walk without pain in my knee and both feet. I was an out of shape, winded all the time, and hated it. I still am not as active I intend to be, but I hurt less all over and am moving better. My weight is at 181 lbs. I fit into clothes I could previously wear at 165. I must be losing inches faster than weight.

This time around I have had no issues with my will.  This is what I want and what is best. It is easy, most of the time, to say no. I am not fighting with myself to keep from backsliding. I feel good overall.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Fri May 03, 2019 7:49 am

Thumbs up on all points. Sounds like you are doing great with this effort. Are you hoping to continue losing or are you closing in on a satisfactory permanent weight?
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Fri May 03, 2019 6:06 pm

OnTheBayou wrote: I am fond and accurate in saying that Mark Sisson saved my life.  My weight and health has yo-yo'd over the years, but backsliding has always been my own fault.

I think many of us have Mark Sisson to thank for saving our lives. I know that it was when I reluctantly "tried out" primal and the ways of the PB that I discovered I am celiac at worst, gluten-intolerant, at best. I can't imagine what damage I would have continued to do to my health had I not discovered MDA. I am eternally grateful to Mark Sisson.

By the way, it's GREAT to see you back!!!!! Very Happy

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Fri May 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Lovebird wrote:
Rig D wrote:After the initial surge, there were several folks like you that many of us remembered and made a determined effort to make sure you knew about this site.

While this is true where John Caton, JRosto and DavidA are concerned, to name a few, OTB joined on the same day as you, Rig, which would be day 1. Smile There were a number of people that were sent PMs when the forum was getting started, like NeckHammer and me, that hadn't come over just yet for a number of reasons, which might be the 'invitation only' OTB was referring to earlier.

I miss the contributions of those old members. I wish they would come back.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ShelleyM Sun May 05, 2019 10:33 am

Rig wrote:Thumbs up on all points. Sounds like you are doing great with this effort. Are you hoping to continue losing or are you closing in on a satisfactory permanent weight?

Was this directed at me, Rig? If so, I need to continue losing. My goal weight is somewhere around 130. My plan is to continue forever with the lifestyle I have chosen and my weight will land where it should. I am 5'3" and small boned. Once upon a time quite petite. 181 on my frame is way too much. My teen years I hovered around 105, and as a young adult it was 125.
ShelleyM
ShelleyM

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 am

Remember this one from end of November 2017?  Smile Couldn't let it stay burried in MDA's spam...

Mushrooms. "Men's health," everyone's health

OnTheBayou:

In my almost year long search to increase my testosterone, I've found assorted suggestions on men's forums helpful. All based on actual, like, you know, science. Peer reviewed research. I added Vitamins C and E, boron, and zinc to my regimen. And red light therapy. Yes, your imagination is probably correct. I definitely found myself, um, "younger." But nothing like my experience with mushrooms. And then I discovered how incredible they are as a food, completely aside from being an aromatase inhibitor.

Aromatase is an enzyme that, sadly, converts hard earned, valuable testosterone to estrodiol, precursor to estrogen. So if aromatase is inhibited, more T for me. There are pharmaceutical inhibitors that are used in breast cancer therapies. And there is a strong link between eating mushrooms and diminished hormone enhanced breast cancers.

Warning: Some personal info coming up. But there isn't any other way to measure or identify results.

Anyway, how many mushrooms can one eat every day? Then I got the idea of drying them and pulverizing them in the blender. Now, I just add the powder to assorted foods I'm eating. I wasn't very scientific in measuring, but probably between a half tsp to a whole one most days. I definitely experienced changes, the decades of normal male decline rolling back over a two week period. Seventy one going on thirty one. I swear. Just in time for a beautiful, much younger woman walking through my door and into my life. No pills necessary.

I started wondering if there wasn't something else going on besides aromatase inhibition. After all, at the most, AI will just prevent destruction of whatever T I have, which is low per tests. It doesn't make testosterone. I started wondering if it is a natural PDE5 inhibitor, which is what all the little blue pill types are. There are several known natural ones, although not terribly effective. So I started researching mushrooms...................holy moly! What a food source! Besides being low calorie, flavorful, and gluten free (that's a joke), helpful in hypertension, high cholesterol, cancer intervention, and a whole long list of benefits, scientifically proven. Check out this long list of peer reviewed articles:

https://www.mushroomcouncil.com/nutrition-research/

So, eat more mushrooms! Male or female! (You, not the mushrooms!) So easy to eat a lot of as dehydrated. Cheap! BTW, I got a free little bottle of stuff to make better burgers. First ingredient, mushroom powder!

Paysan:

OTB, first, congrats on rediscovering the joy of being 31 again. I've known about the male-enhancing properties of mushrooms for several years now, and even decided to eat some raw.Not that I' male, but the old saw, what's sauce for the gander...! I have immediate access to 5 or 6 kinds, and mix them up just for various "benefits." But one I had to order in, just for its culinary benefits, was porcini mushroom, which has already been dried and pulverized into a fine powder. Mixing an ounce of it, a la Nom Nom Paleo, with kosher salt , red pepper flakes, black pepper and thyme is one of the best flavour enhancers I've ever used. It's so good that it is now offered commercially on the West Coast under Magic Mushroom label (no, not THAT kind!). But mushrooms also have lots of anti-cancer properties and at my age and with my genetics, cancer is an omnipresent if distant worry. So, I eat mushrooms frequently and don't worry. (Much)
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Nice memory, Lovebird. Was OTB also the one with the anecdote that supplementing L. Reuteri regularly as a probiotic made his balls literally bigger?

At the risk of giving y'all TMI, I actually tried that myself. According to my Amazon order history, I first purchased a bottle of the "Nature's Way Primadophilus Reuteri" in October 2017. However, at around the same time (December 2017) I also bought a radiation-blocking sleeve for my cell phone, and I've always carried my cell phone in my right front pocket, so keep in mind that this is a confounding factor for the observations that follow.

My right testicle has always been a bit smaller than my left. I never worried about it cause according to google, it's quite normal for men to have a slightly mismatched pair, and in my case, the difference was only about half a centimeter so it was basically no big deal and pretty much unnoticeable.

As of now, 18 months after regularly supplementing both the Reuteri and using the cell phone shield, my balls are the same size. And it's because the right one grew slightly and not because the left one shrank, haha. I double-checked that. The left didn't grow, though. Currently I've stopped taking the probiotic, as part of cutting down my supplements in general, so we'll see if the gains are permanent. I'm still using the shield, and mostly go around with my phone either in airplane mode or outright turned off, the majority of the time.

So not a perfect experiment, but something for the other dudes on this forum to ponder.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:30 am

So happy for your successful experiment. For what it’s worth, mine and many women have a mismatched pair up top as well. Smile
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightly Orange Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Narrowminded wrote:So happy for your successful experiment.  For what it’s worth, mine and many women have a mismatched pair up top as well. Smile

Haha, thanks. In retrospect I should have tested my testosterone at the time, and maybe some other markers, but deep down inside I wasn't expecting anything to really happen, so didn't put in the effort.
Nightly Orange
Nightly Orange

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 am

Now that would be interesting to see if the hormone production changed. Who was it that said that size doesn't matter?
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum