Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's For Primal Christmas Dinner?

+6
breadsauce
Pedidoc
Vh67
Meant2Move
perennialpam
ONTARIO
10 posters

Go down

What's For Primal Christmas Dinner? Empty What's For Primal Christmas Dinner?

Post by ONTARIO Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:18 pm

Okay, now that all you Americans have your Thanksgiving over and done with let's talk about the next delicious, family meal that is on the calendar - Christmas! Although I dislike Christmas decorations I very, very, very much love Christmas dinner!

So, let's share what will be on the menu for a Primal Christmas. I would love to see other's ideas.

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

What's For Primal Christmas Dinner? Empty Re: What's For Primal Christmas Dinner?

Post by perennialpam Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:45 pm

A tradition for my family is fresh fruit salad. Berries, oranges, apples, etc. bathed in lemon juice that sat with dried sweet cherries in it and was thrown into the bowl. Any fruit I can get my hands on. It ends up being too big and provides me left overs for a couple of days. Nothing spectacular with the exception that it has become that tradition.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

What's For Primal Christmas Dinner? Empty Re: What's For Primal Christmas Dinner?

Post by Meant2Move Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:38 pm

While I love turkey dinner, it is rather bland. I tend to go for something a bit spicier at Christmas, and I do like something festive too. Lasagna is a favorite, and I'm thinking very likely this year.

Actually, we used to always hike the Grand Canyon on Xmas day so dinner with often whatever we could find that was open... That won't be happening this year given husband's total knee replacement, so yes, something with color and flavor. If not lasagna, maybe chili...
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Vh67 Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:27 am

I used to make a prime rib for Christmas with oven roasted potatoes and a couple veggies. And of course a green salad. E's family's big meal is on Christmas Eve and is a beautiful pork rib roast, potatoes and a veggie or two. I think there is also dressing. They do a huge Christmas breakfast and a lighter dinner.

When we get back home after Christmas, we will dong a half turkey in the new oven along with roasted Brussels sprouts with chestnuts.

Vh67
Vh67

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedidoc Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 am

We talked about this last night and I think we are going to have "finger food." So a bunch of appetizer like stuff.
Pedidoc
Pedidoc

Back to top Go down

Post by breadsauce Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm cooking 2x roast duck. Or rather, I'm going to confit the wings in a sous vide, then roast the rest of the duck. This is in the UK. Served with shredded sprout gratin, red cabbage and beetroot with orange, roast potatoes (HAVE to have these at Christmas!), baby carrots and gravy. And spiced preserved tangerines to serve on top of the duck - they are delicious!

breadsauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovebird Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 am

So, what are the plans for 2019? Very Happy

We haven't decided on all the details yet, but chances are there won't be any traditional stewed rabbit on the first day of Christmas this year, more likely a nice pork roast with thin green beans wrapped in bacon & duchess potatoes.

Chicken soup for first course and some nice dessert afterwards. Good red wine to accompany the main dish. Smile
Lovebird
Lovebird

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Hmm, no idea really. Thanksgiving dinner and the leftovers left us feeling not great - well mostly husband didn't feel good - higher carbs triggered nasty inflammation. As such, I think I'll be pretty careful.

Veggies and some meat... which is what we eat every day. Will have to think of something to make it special! Maybe a version of Pam's fruit salad as that sounds yummy.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 pm

I have no idea given I will not be in my own home, but a guest. I’m guessing there will be tortillas on the table as well as beans, however what else will be a surprise.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:39 pm

We never do traditional as everyone has multiple Christmas dinners to go to that are always the same old turkey etc. We try to keep it different and kid-friendly as we will have 6 kids under 12 years old and 3 teenagers to feed as well.

Here is the big family Christmas dinner menu for this Saturday:

Fried Chicken
Buttermilk mashed potatoes
Succotash
Leek bread pudding
Milk gravy
Green beans

Pecan pie
Blueberry pie
Pumpkin pie

**As you can see, we'll all be patients at the diabetes clinic for Monday** Laughing

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by ekba Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Once again, 45 years or so, our big dinner was Christmas Eve at my parents’. Pork rib roast, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and dressing. This year’s vegetables were green beans with onion and bacon and roasted carrots. Christmas morning brunch was eggs, bacon, sausage. as it has been since 1969. Quiche appeared sometime in the ‘70s and remains tradition. At some point in the ‘90s the bready part switched from blueberry muffins to French toast casserole.
ekba
ekba

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:08 am

We were totally off the traditional path with "Mom's pasghetti" and Gluten Free noodles, all served on throwaway dishes. Super good, quick and easy to fix, minimal clean up.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:24 am

Christmas Dinner was turkey, ham, rice, beans of course and I forget, but it was buffet form, so I was able to stay primal.
Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Meant2Move Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:30 pm

I tried a sheet pan salmon recipe from Nom Nom Paleo. The salmon was good but the veggies not so much - too oily and given my inability to chew we've (sadly) gotten used to overdone vegetables.
Meant2Move
Meant2Move

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down