Primal Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can openers?

5 posters

Go down

Can openers? Empty Can openers?

Post by ToddAndMargo Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:33 am

Any of you guys have a favorite manual can opener? Be nice to have a stainless blade that did not rust.

Everything I find on Amazon, the one start reviews show can they would not open. And American made can openers that use to work for 20 years are now made in China and are terrible.
ToddAndMargo
ToddAndMargo

Back to top Go down

Can openers? Empty Re: Can openers?

Post by ToddAndMargo Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:47 am

Fake Spot really nailed this one with an "F":

https://www.fakespot.com/product/chlebem-can-opener-manual-can-opener-smooth-edge-can-openers-seniors-arthritis-jar-opener-weak-beer-bottle-opener-canning-lids-pampered-chef-commercial-304-stainless-steel-heavy-duty-safety
ToddAndMargo
ToddAndMargo

Back to top Go down

Post by ONTARIO Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 am

Cutco. They make quality stuff. It's made in America by KA-Bar. KA-Bar is also the famous US military brand knife issued in the forces. It's expensive but guaranteed for life. All our kitchen knives are Cutco. We had the handle of a knife chip when we dropped it and they replaced it at no cost. They stand behind their products. They also sharpen for free. You just pay the postage to get them there.

Last edited by ONTARIO on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

ONTARIO

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:53 am

We don't have a Cutco can opener, but can vouch for the quality and support for their products. My older son sold Cutco during his college days and briefly managed an office for them and we acquired a fair set of knives over time and find their trimmer knife to be the most useful, closely followed by the spatula-spreader. Expensive to buy, but worth it. Not sold through regular retailers -- I think they still rely on a network of sales reps in addition to on-line sales. Our Costco occasionally has a Cutco booth set up.

Our can opener has disappeared from the kitchen, I guess our recurring poltergeist has it for a few days before it reappears in the drawer. I can't remember the brand name on it, but it is not one of the big brands. I like it and when it turns up I'll post the pros/cons and brand.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by Narrowminded Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:09 pm

I too can vouch for Cutco, but not the opener. I use their table knives exclusively. My reg knives that come with the set are set where I don’t even see them. Also have some other of their knives as well. My BIL/SIL have had their set for 39 years

My current can opener, as I needed a new one, my OXO one, which had plastic handles snapped, Is a “Tasty” from Walmart. Not sure who manufactures for them. It’s all metal, then there is either rubber or silicon over the metal handles in a nice grip size. Come is lots of colors and a very comfortable plastic handle to turn. I can’t speak to how long it will last, but it does feel durable, as it’s so new and I’d don’t open a lot of cans.

Narrowminded
Narrowminded
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig D Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 am

Our can opener showed up. Unfortunately there is no brand name on it anywhere. So I'll describe it and hope it helps find something similar. It is an "old school" opener, cuts from the top so the lid will fit inside the can when cut. No magnet to hold the lid. It is heavier than most, about 3/4 lb, solid steel with rubberized plastic on the handles for gripping. If you have small hands it will be hard to use because of the size and weight, the handle you turn is nearly 4 inches long and has the only distinguishing feature where it says "Made in USA". The gearing is also larger than most, so it cuts pretty fast when engaged. We've had it about 4 years and it seems pretty indestructible. I think we found it at one of the Big Box stores, the packaging was pretty bland so you had to look pretty hard to see it in the products displayed.
Rig D
Rig D

Back to top Go down

Post by perennialpam Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:34 am

I have a Kuhn Rikon made in Switzerland.  Bought it at TJ Max years ago.  

Does have a magnetic holder for the top.  Cuts the top so that is will not cut you when off.

Odd to get used to using as you hold the can differently but I've had this one over 15 years and it still looks new.
perennialpam
perennialpam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum